New Fazakerley No.4 MkI from Classic Arms

jsmaye

I decided to finally get on the Enfield bandwagon and bought this from Classic Arms. Handpicked, it was around $270 with shipping.

10022101-cropped.jpg

10022104-cropped.jpg

jsmaye

It's in pretty good shape for a 1943, and the barrel is smooth with no apparent pitting. The only "aw shucks" thing about it is the small crack in the rear stock on the right hand site

jsmaye: Congratulations on the decision. :) Your rifle looks really good.
Unless you had planned to have it in a private museum, will the various numbers even matter when you shoot this classic old battle rifle?

A friend had never used an LE.
After five practice shots from 50 yards on the bench, he sat on the ground.

Mike's first and only shot with my LE #4's iron sights (nice bore but far from mint) at 100 yards went into the center of the bullseye. He is a natural, and retired from the Navy M. Team, set some records with AR iron sights at 200/600 yards.
And my #4's peep sight is not as small as the peep in my #5 when the ladder sight is rotated.

madcratebuilder

Not even close.

I wouldn't be to concerned. As old as most these are and the number of owners they have seen it's not uncommon. Sometimes bolts well be change to improve head space when a longer bolt head well not get it done. I would rather have a unmatched rifle with a #1 head than a matched rifle with a #3 head.

jsmaye

Unless you had planned to have it in a private museum, will the various numbers even matter when you shoot this classic old battle rifle?

Nope. But it would have been icing on the cake. My Mosins and M24/27 spoiled me - they all match. I was hoping it was just r/c K98k's that were mix-masters.

I would rather have a unmatched rifle with a #1 head than a matched rifle with a #3 head.

I agree - none of my rifles were bought as wall-hangers or safe-queens.

My LE actually has a very clean bore and a '0' bolt-head.