New expander ball?

elkslayer4x5

I just recieved the die set I won at auction, Herter's FL in .338 Win, and upon examination, part of the expander ball has been ground or filed a bit on one side, probabaly to remove tool marks, but there is still a complete round circle there, just no longer as long as it once was. Whats the general opinion? Should I get a new expander ball?

math teacher

I doubt that you can get it from Herters. Redding makes a carbide expander ball for the 338 that I would recommend. Years ago I had a friend make adapters so that I could use RCBS decapping stems with all my dies, thus allowing me to use carbide expander balls. I will check my Herters dies and see it I can come up with a simple solution. Perhaps someone else already knows of another brand that will work or a decapping pin and ball that will replace the one for Herters.

math teacher

Hornady's decapping stem fits my Herter's dies. They use to make carbide expander balls. Perhaps they still do. I have converted all my dies to carbide expander balls, so I don't know if the originals are interchangeable. Worth a try.

elkslayer4x5

About 5/8th of the expander ball in intact, and I've mic'ed it, its concentric and the proper size, so I really have no problem. I also checked and a RCBS expander ball matches the threads. If it bothers me any more ( hate knowing some is not right ) I'll get a new one from either RCBS or Hornaday. I know that Herter's did'nt make their own brand of good, but had them made, for instance, Forster made their case trimmer, and CH made a lot of their stuff, anyone know who made the reloading dies?

noylj

Like so many questions--
Try a case and see how it works. Cases are not that expensive and measuring and trying are important "tools" for any handloader.

elkslayer4x5

noylj said
Try a case and see how it works. Cases are not that expensive and measuring and trying are important "tools" for any handloader.
Uh, where are you getting inexpencive .338 Win Mag brass? :)

noylj

How much does one case cost...

Exactly how much does one (1) case cost?
I can buy loaded ammunition for $40/20 rounds, so the most a case could cost is $2/case.
Then, consider the value of the learning experience.
If your cases cost so much that you can't afford to lose one (1), maybe you need to spring for NEW dies that you have confidence in?
Even I, a poor retired senior citizen could afford one (1) .50BMG to play with.

elkslayer4x5

noylj says
Exactly how much does one (1) case cost?
I can buy loaded ammunition for $40/20 rounds, so the most a case could cost is $2/case.
Then, consider the value of the learning experience.
If your cases cost so much that you can't afford to lose one (1), maybe you need to spring for NEW dies that you have confidence in?
Even I, a poor retired senior citizen could afford one (1) .50BMG to play with.
Too much cafine this morning? :)

noylj

elkslayer4x5:
You are the one who "snitted" at me about the cost of a case, so I thought, as common courtesy, I would respond--since you clearly did not understand my post.
Communication is everything...

elkslayer4x5

You are the one who "snitted" at me about the cost of a case, so I thought, as common courtesy, I would respond--since you clearly did not understand my post.
Communication is everything...
Yes it is, and becasue it is difficult to convey amusement through typewritten words, we have these 'smiles' to indicate what we are truely saying. :) Guess you did'nt notice that it amused me that you classed .338 Win Mag cases as " not that expencive" when they are as you say about 2 bucks a pop. Sorry if you feel that I "snitted" at you, I'd just like to know where to find the cases cheaper than I'm getting them now. Have a great day. :)