New Encore Pro Hunter

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
In 7mm-08, topped with Warne base and rings and a Burris 2-7X40:D

Can't wait to try it out.... It has taken me about 3 months to get the thing into the state and added to to my permit.\

Crappy cell phone pic is all I have for now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Encore1.jpg
    Encore1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 8,272

hoghunting

Congratulations, especially after 3 months! The T/Cs are amazingly accurate, and I'm sure you will enjoy that one.

Zhe Wiz

That's not enough gun to kill a deer with...you need something much, much bigger! :D

Can't wait until S U N D A Y to see you shoot that beast!

Zhe Wiz

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
That's not enough gun to kill a deer with...you need something much, much bigger!

Can't wait until S U N D A Y to see you shoot that beast!

Yeah....

should got me a fou-tee-fou mag. Something with some power..... some half the power that is.:D

Delaware_Dan

What would you compare the recoil to? I have never shot a rifle round out of a frankenhandgun and I am curious. I have shot up to a .454 casull out of a handgun, and I have no idea how it would compare.

Chesster

What would you compare the recoil to? I have never shot a rifle round out of a frankenhandgun and I am curious. I have shot up to a .454 casull out of a handgun, and I have no idea how it would compare.

You can generally spot the unprepared shooter as the one with the bloody crease down the middle of the forehead. :D

mikejonestkd

I had a family member rub the skin off of both elbows the first time he fired 180 grain loads out of my .308 win encore. he bled quite a bit before we got to the FA kit. He learned to not fire it from the wooden bench....

A 7mm-08 can be fairly mild with 100 grain loads or pretty stout with full house 140 grain loads. Its a heavy handgun and with a scope it'll soak up quite a bit of recoil but it is still above a .44 mag revolver, more like a 454 casull - sharper than the 454 without the big push.

A .308 win is more punishing than a 454 revolver, sharper and with more muzzle blast. Its more like a .460 to me, but felt recoil is always a matter of personal interpretation.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Delaware_Dan said:

Here's my range report....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405298

The recoil is different than a "normal" handgun. The recoil calculators predicted that the force would be approximately the same as a light weight 44mag (I believe I entered 44 ounces for the 44mag) running pretty stout loads, but the speed of the recoil would be about double that of the 44. Honestly, it felt like less recoil that 44mags that I have shot but the speed was definitely faster. The recoil is significant but it's over very quickly. I don't know if that makes sense, it's hard to describe.

I grew up shooting probably 95% long guns with just the occasional handgun in the mix. Frankly, it has always seemed to me that people who think that handguns have a lot of recoil just haven't spent much time behind a 12ga with deer slugs or a 45-70.

Even the full-house 7mm-08 loads (140gr Remington Core-Lokt Ultras at a chronied 2640fps) are down right mild compared to the beating that I take from deer slugs in my 11-87.

troy_mclure

you went thru that much trouble to get an encore!?!

man im glad i dont have to live up there.

you probably cant even turn it into a rifle can ya?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
troy_mclure said:
you went thru that much trouble to get an encore!?!

man im glad i dont have to live up there.

you probably cant even turn it into a rifle can ya?

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. You know what the whole problem is? T/C puts a sticker on the box that says "This Product is Not For Sale in the State of NY or Maryland." Note that there is no such sticker on the Encore box, only on the "Pro Hunter" box. If I'd ordered a regular Encore, it would have been easy.

It's not really NY's fault. The Pro Hunter is just as legal here as is the Encore. I don't know why T/C puts that stupid sticker on the box but none of the distributors would ship the gun to NY.

Anywho.... yeah, I can convert it to a rifle. NY doesn't care about that at all. In fact, they will even let you register your Encore rifle on your pistol permit and convert it to a handgun, which is a clear violation of federal law unless you get a tax stamp from ATF.