New Desert Eagle review is posted.

Skans

The Desert Eagles are well made, accurate firearms. They might look a little "silly" because of what Hollywood has done to their image, but they are good quality firearms.

g.willikers

If yer gonn'a have the biggest gun, it might as well be in the biggest caliber, eh?
A friend had one in .44M, a great gun in all respects, even if it wasn't a .50.
Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy.

Hunter0924

Thank you all for the feedback,
Yea I was harping on the 50 AE a bit but truthfully that is what they sent so that is what I went with.
I expect the .44 Magnum would be awesome in the Desert Eagle and a bit more versatile.
I also agree that Hollywood may have put a bit of silliness on the DE like the movie with Pam Anderson, so much cheese.

Take all that with a grain of salt and appreciate it for what it is and you are right on, well made and accurate.

44 AMP

Staff
I got my first Desert Eagle back in 84 (or thereabouts), a .357 Magnum. I got a .44 Mag in 90. I have deliberately avoided the .50, for logistic reasons, plus I have no good use for it.

Glad to see the breed is still alive, and maybe even improved. The built in compensator looks interesting, but I can easily live without the lower rail.

its a good gun, but it is NOT the same as service type autopistols. If you think it is, and treat it that way, you will not be happy with it.

Skans

I have used my DE 44 in a few informal bowling pin competitions. Here's my observation in shooting it under a bit of pressure:

1. A slightly sloppy shot will still knock a bowling pin off the table; not so with 9mm. It is also an accurate pistol.
2. You only get 10 shots (I have an extended mag for my 44 DE) before you have to change magazines.
3. It's big...and...heavy - this means its harder for me to move the point of aim than with a smaller, lighter weight gun. So, it takes me more time to aim.

I now use my Tanfoglio Stock 10mm for this type of shooting. Normal size pistol; higher capacity; enough power to wack those bowling pins.

44 AMP

Staff
I have used the Desert Eagle in pin shoots, back in the later 80s. The .357 Mag (there was no other, at the time).

My personal best time to clear the table was 4.37 seconds, and I used all 9 rounds in the mag, as one pin fell end on to me, and took a couple shots to clear.

Yes, its a heavy gun, and so takes a tiny but longer to get on target, but I balance this against the reduced recoil recovery time while still shooting a MAGNUM cartridge.

I also cleared the table in 5.36seconds, shooting a .44 Auto Mag. 5 shots, and none of the pins was reusable! :D

Also warmed my heart to see the ROs doubling their ear protection when I stepped to the line. :p

Not good enough to even place third, but it was FUN!!!!

Hunter0924

I do agree, you cannot think of the Desert Eagle as a standard service pistol. I believe the lower rail is to appeal to all the rail accessories, which, hopefully, boost sells.

I would like to try some silhouette shooting with the .50 AE but I am looking for a suitable bullet to load for handloads.