New CZ PCR

Selfdfenz

Took the chance and got myself a PCR at this past weekend.
I haven't had a chance to do more than a quick check of the pistol but its great so far after 100 Win White box and 50 115 gr JHPs. (and no I don't consider that a breaking in or function test ,I just couldn't wait to try the thing out)
That's all the time I had. Not a single FTE FTF etc and the accuracy bowled me over.

What is the deal with the mags that come with this firearm? I can get 9 rounds in it but that is the limit so far. Never saw a mag "manufactured" by cutting it in half and adding a blister to restrict capacity. Half the internal volume of the mag is taken up by the follower and base insert.
Do any of you know a vendor for high cap (12,13, 14 rounds)flush fitting mags for this firearm?I get the feeling they may not exist as a legal option.
For all the posters that answered my questions about the PCR over the past weeks, thanks. Now if they stop making them (PCRs) when the P-01 come out I'll not have to wonder if I missed out on a good thing.

Did not try my hi cap mags for the 75 B but they look like they will work.
More later.
S-

contender4040

Your cz75 mags will work in the pcr. As for the issue 10rd mags, the 10th rd will load---leave it loaded for several days and that should help.
The guys at www.czforum.com should be able to help you find the mags you are looking for.
The cz po-1 is basicly the same format as the pcr but with a light rail and a different trigger. The pcr should be actually less bulky and a good choice for ccw.

Christopher II

Ah-hah! And I thought that I was the only person to get bad mags...

Selfdefenz, check your magazines. Do they have two witness holes on the left side, or only one? If they have one witness hole, then they won't load ten rounds no matter how long they stay set. I sent mine back to CZ-USA, and am presently awaiting a response.

Aside from that, I love my PCRs. My only wish is that they would ditch the serrated trigger and make them SA-only.

- Chris

Selfdfenz

Thanks for the replys.
I have been a CZFORUM lurker for some time and I'll do some indepth searching there.

Houston, I think we have a one witness hole problem.

I emailed CZ and they said they would replace them if I would send them back and they were defective.

I just can't get over how the magizine is cut in half circumferentially except for the blisters facing inward on each side. It just smacks of weakness and future breaking.

I was concerned with the decocker vs a real safety but I can get used to it I think.

Do either of you use your PCR for concealed carry ....just wondering what holster options you have come across.
Thanks and take care.
S-

Eric Larsen

I think youll find that you love your PCR. As far as the mags go, If the are "defective" I will be very surprised. CZ mags are famous for using 1 ton truck springs. Load as many rounds in them as possible and leave them alone for a week. Keep doing that until you get to full capacity. I have had to do it with every CZ mag Ive had. Your fullsize CZ mags will work fine in the PCR and the reason your "nuetered" mags have the restrictor/base plate in them is...10 rnd max. The normal capacity mags are a 13 rnd and are the rarest of the rare..the "holy grail" of CZ goodies.
By the way...If you get a "normal capacity" magazine and use the Wolff +10% springs in them....the capacity goes up to 14 or 15 rnds and functions perfectly.
All in all, you have a great gun and I think you will love it.
Shoot well

AKurat

I'm thinking of getting a PCR as well...Maybe this is a stupid question...But do the CZ75 fullsize mags fit flush or stick out at the bottom? Also which mags if any can be modified to fit the PCR?

SteveC

They stick out...

The fullsize CZ mags stick out the bottom. They work fine though. You can probably get EAA Witness mags to work as well.

Some folks have tried EAA Witness Compact mags, but they haven't had much luck from what I gather. CZ compact hicaps are just plain tough to get.

Steve

Selfdfenz

Thanks again,

I had to "train" the hi caps that go with my 75 B and that was a big success. They are easy to load now.
I have had the compact mags loaded with 9 rnds since Sunday and for the life of me and using all the pressure I can muster, the 10th will not go. I've pressed so hard the rims on the cases are gouged and scared and so are my thumbs. They feel bottomed out. Frankly I have never tried it but the follower and plastic base insert could be modified (shortened) and the mags might carry more than 10 rounds. I hate to fiddle around with them as I have no idea if it would be legal or not.

Still can't figure out the cuts in the mag. This is a strange feature. Have you guys seen thsi and it is common on the mags supplied with the compacts?
I will likely send both mags back to Mike at CZ and see if I got a weird pair or if I am just being a wimp.
All the way round I think I will like the PCR every bit as well as the B and mayby more.

Wonder if the 13 round mags are sold in Mexico. Would if be legal to possess them here in the US or would they be on some ATF list of banned equipment???

Seems like some enterprising person could come up with a replacement for the std. hi cap mag botton that fills in the gap when its used in the compacts. That would be a way cheap fix.

I had considered a P-01 but it looks "clunkier". I would never use the rail so it would just be added bulk. Have to see what they turn out to be later in the summer.

Take care.
S-

bushmaster225

Mags

CZ has atleast two suppliers of magazines. About three months ago I got a 75 B in .40S&W and ordered two extra mags. Three were Mec-gar (Which is Sig's only supplier of mags) and the other one was cut almost in half like your explaining.

I sent it back to Mike and requested the Mec-gar mag. At 28 bucks I personally want all the metal around my mags.

After a two week turn around I got the other mag.

I'm having trouble locating anyone who sells Mec-gar mags for the CZ. Only there website in italy list the CZ. Called US office and no one returned my call. Heard gatorguns sell them, but they haven't answered my e-mail. So, if anyone finds some please let me know. I think 15-20 should be a fair price for a 10 rd mag when most of mecgar's mags sell in that range.

Bushmaster225

Attachments

• cz 75 b 40 s&w_2.jpg
    cz 75 b 40 s&w_2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 178

Eric Larsen

Regarding "normal cap" mags being legal...If you possess them and they arent stamped with a date of manufacture after the ban and they arent marked "law enforcement only" and they designed for and fit your gun...they are legal...unless you are in Cali or other neutered states. At least I think thats the way it is :D Shoot well

Christopher II

Okay, a couple points -

The cuts/blisters in the magazines are to prevent evil, bloody-minded gun owners from hammering out the blisters and converting neutered mags into 13-rounders. Stupid. And the cuts do weaken the magazine. I don't like it, and if there's a source of ten-round compact mags with no cuts, I want in!!

The decocker is handy, but I'd rather have an SA-only trigger group. I'm talking to a local gunsmith about this, should be a relatively easy change.

Leather might be tough. The PCR won't fit a standard CZ holster. I have two holsters right now, a Don Hume JIT belt slide for a Berrata 92FS, and a Galco Combat Master for a Sig P228. Both holsters work well. If you, like me, prefer Kydex, you might be out of luck. I've talked to just about every Kydex holstersmith out there, and nobody has a PCR rig. Cen-Dex Holsters says they'll probably have one soon.

- Chris

Rusty Jr

RE: PCR, mags, Kydex holster

I've had my PCR for about 10 days. Same problem with the mags (they only have 1 witness hole too). They WILL NOT hold 10 rnds, and jammed with 9. After 10 days, keeping the mags loaded with 9, they still will not hold 10. I will take them back to the dealer and see what the next step is (he'll replace them, or I'll have to send them to the factory). I plan to pick up some 15 rnd CZ-75 hi-caps for trips to the range.

I love the accuracy of the PCR and the gun functioned perfectly with 8 or less rounds in the new mags(using GA Arms ammo, 115gr & 147gr FMJ, GD +P JHP). I plan to use it for CCW, once I have the mag situation corrected, but my G26 still conceals better for summer carry.

Don't really like the "glow in the dark" yellowish sites, hard to see the sights well at the range, especially with yellow shooting glasses. Will probably get some trijicons, or just paint the front sight (I hate to mess with the sights, since it shoots so well as is!)

And finally, I have a FIST KYDEX IWB holster, designed for my G19 and both the G26 AND the PCR seem to fit just fine :)

Shoot well.

TreeSquid

I think tritium paint can be had for a reasonable price. My PCR's sight dots are recessed, so all you'd have to do would be drip the paint into the little wells and let it dry with the gun sitting vertically, in a vise or something. Should end up looking like it came with proper night sights from the factory. :)

Also, with my gun, I got one of those lame cut 10-rounders, along with a 14-rd mag. My 10 holds 10 no problem, though, so they aren't all like that. I should hope they'd replace yours for free, since they hold 2 fewer rounds than they're supposed to. Also, I've heard of some luck using baby eagle compact .40 mags in cz75 compacts, supposed to hold 11 or 12 rounds of 9mm. This is legal, too, as long as it still functions as a .40 mag.

Eric Larsen

The OEM CZ mags have had problems lately with capacity...they function just fine but dont hold enough/full capacity ammo. If you call Mike @ CZUSA ....800-955-4486, He should gladly get you taken care of....
nyetter,
Thanks for the pointer to my website.... I was just about as P*SS*D off as anyone can get with my holsters, I had the best I could find anywhere and they still let the ext mag release rub me raw....painful carry. So...I made one that worked and tweaked it about a dozen times...and poof! Now look...lots of styles and they all work!
I appreciate the support very very much. Ive got some very new stuff on my site...and I believe by this time next week...I should have something to make most PCR owners mouths water...for CCW....:D
Shoot well

Marko II

Christopher II:

I just acquired another PCR (2002 production) at Firearms Unlimited in Pittsburgh. Unlike my other PCRs, this one came with the new P-01 trigger (not the whole trigger group -- just the actual trigger itself). I guess CZ is creating transition guns as they utilyze parts from both the PCR and the P-01 as the PCR is phased out and the P-01 is phased in. In any event, the P-01 trigger has a more pronounced curve but, more importantly, it has a smooth non-serrated trigger. Exceptionally comfortable.

The gunshop scrounged the last six PCRs it could find from the national distributors. All six are 2002 production and all have the P-01 trigger. Another customer bought one while I was filling out the paperwork for mine. To all you Western PA residents, that leaves only four in the display case...

Take care. Marko

Eric Larsen

BTW, Treesquid...tritium is a radioactive compound. It has to be sealed forever...as to not give off "bad rays". The glow in the dark paint works well when charged and illuminated by a light source.....however, it doesnt produce its own light...like tritium.
Thought you would like to know this....
Marko...I have a PO1 trigger on its way for my serrated to be replaced by :D Ill throw it in with a trigger job....just a tad .
I love the recurve..very nice.
Shoot well

citizen

No single-action PCR's, or Compacts; either.
Factory has no plans for them; Mike can't convince them otherwise.
Damped my lust when I found out. And no; an ambi safety can not be installed on either, IIRC. (Tough bein' lefty sometimes:( .)

LiveWire

I own a PCR too. The magazines that came with it will sometimes take 9 rounds; sometimes 10.

When a mag takes only 9, I will disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble it once...twice...even three times before it will accept the tenth round. But when it does... O, how nicely it fits! So nice, in fact, you'd swear it could take one more.

I get the impression, then, that it's fussy about the way it's reassembled, and that success in achieving the greater capacity is hopelessly skewed by the element of chance. Logic, on the other hand, suggests that it's more a matter of tweaking it the right way.

If only I can put my finger on that one thing that makes all the difference. Then I'd get it right every time.

Last edited:

nyetter

The lockwork on the compact has the same dimensions as the fullsize, AFAIK, so you could order and install a Champion or regular SA trigger and remove the interrupter, and that would give you an SA-only compact (I'm planning on doing this to my 85C after I break it in a bit). I don't see why you couldn't fit an ambi-safety as well if you wanted to.

It'd be a lot more of a project on a PCR, since it doesn't have the frame relieved for the nub on the inside of the safety. But if you were serious, I bet you could do it.