New Concealed Carry Pistol, Walther CCP tested and reviewed, Junk or Gem?

WildBill45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BXOVh5mh0

This dandy little gun exceeded expectations, and did as advertised! Handles like a sports car, recoil is lighter, and operating the slide requires two fingers only! The sights are good for a small pistol, and it shoots well at 15, 25 and 100 yards... Fit and finish are Walther, and the trigger is light and feels good.

One notable thing I discovered and was suspicious of, therefore I brought along my Oehler 35P Chrono along ... the gas system was the direct cause and effect in lowering the velocity when compared to a non-gas ported 9mm shooting the same ammunition. The trade off is worth it if you want reduced recoil, easier control, and a slide that grandma can work. There are no free lunches in Physics!

This gem is easy to carry, and easy to shoot. The price is even good when considering it is a Walther Made in Germany! I have attached a photo and the video I shot today ... the first official day of Winter, which made the testing a bit of a challenge with cold hands...

Take a peek at this gun and be ready to be in love with this new Walther, a step ahead in Walther design and function...

Photo won't download

Last edited:

Fishbed77

The price is even good when considering it is a Walther Made in Germany!

It's made in Germany, but it's not a Walther.

It's an Umarex product made in the Umarex factory in Arnsberg, not at the Walther factory in Ulm.

This has been discussed here and elsewhere. Many Umarex-produced firearms have "Walther/Ulm" or "Carl Walther Ulm/Do" or something to that affect printed on them. This means nothing, since Umarex owns Walther and can print anything they like on the pistols for marketing purposes.

The CCP is manufactured by Umarex in Arnsberg. The "shield with three crown" proofmark of the Cologne proof house (Arnsberg is a suburb of Cologne) on the CCP proves this. All firearms produced by Walther in Ulm (such as the P99, PPQ, PPX, and PPS) carry the Ulm "staghorn" proofmark.

Anyway, if you need more proof (than the proofmarks!) in this thread at waltherforums.com a Walther employee confirms the CCP is made by Umarex at Arnsberg:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/c...er-ccp-10.html

Now that this means for the CCP, I will not post speculation on. But if past experience is any indicator, Umarex (who is better known for airsoft toys and cheap potmetal rimfires) has not yet been able to manufacturer a pistol to the very high level of quality of Walther at Ulm.

Last edited:

WildBill45

Anyway, if you need more proof (than the proofmarks!) in this thread at waltherforums.com a Walther employee confirms the CCP is made by Umarex at Arnsberg:

I am not a Walther "Trekkie, is you will" but have owned a few and like them, so proof is not an issue, I do not contest what you say. I don't follow Walther specifically on this site, save my attempts to see if anyone received their CCP yet, as they dragged their feet putting it out to market. It works well so far, so that is the good news regardless of original manufacturing source...:D

Fishbed77

I am not a Walther "Trekkie, is you will" but have owned a few and like them, so proof is not an issue, I do not contest what you say. I

No problem.

Not sure what a "Walther Trekkie" is, but a lot of folks have trouble understanding the manufacturing processes and capabilities that go into previous underwhelming Umarex products like the P22, SP22, PK380 and G22 are very different than those that go into high-quality firearms like the Walther-produced P99, PPQ, and PPS. I just added the link above for those who refuse to believe that all pistols marketed as "Walthers" aren't actually made by Walther (including the CCP).

It works well so far, so that is the good news regardless of original manufacturing source...

That's great, and I hope it continues to work well for you (and everyone that purchases one)!

Personally, I think the CCP does nothing that the Walther PPS doesn't already do much better. That's not a knock on its quality or shootability, but on some unfortunate design choices, such as the inclusion of a manual safety, the reports of poor trigger feel, the ability to initiate a "dead trigger", and the requirement to use a tool for dis-assembly.

WildBill45

the reports of poor trigger feel, the ability to initiate a "dead trigger", and the requirement to use a tool for dis-assembly.

Let me address a few of those.

The trigger is light, and for a newbie will fire as a complete surprise, the trigger finger has to be sensitive and experienced to feel it just before the sear lets go, let me tell ya. The tool issued with the gun does not work, as the tip is too short. I used the smallest flathead screwdriver in my Brownells tool kit to disengage the hook to release the slide. The issued tool worked well during reassembly though. I will try it again after a few sessions of cleaning the gun to see if the took works better after a little break in time using the screwdriver.

I am unsure of your use of the term "dead trigger" please explain.

PSP

I'm glad to see new guns no matter who or where. As a Walther owner, I expect a pretty good product. As Umarex owner, (416 and a MP5), I'm very happy with those products. As a HK P7 owner, I'm quite curious about the CCP.

Thanks for the report. My interest is raised.

mrray13

From my reading, zero hands on experience, the "dead trigger" has to do with feeling a false reset and trying to pull the trigger from there. Evidently you get no bang, and since the striker never reset, you have induced a malfunction that requires racking the slide to fix.

If I'm not quite right on "dead trigger", someone will come along and clarify. OTOH, the firearm in question has definitely piqued my interest, although I don't know if I'm interested enough to buy right now.

Oh, and I want a P7 too!:D

WildBill45

From my reading, zero hands on experience, the "dead trigger" has to do with feeling a false reset and trying to pull the trigger from there. Evidently you get no bang, and since the striker never reset, you have induced a malfunction that requires racking the slide to fix

I did not find the dead trigger scenario so far if I am understanding the factors involved...

WildBill45

As a cop I am dubious of some witnesses, and for good reasons. I am talking about engineers, clergy, and just about anybody. I am not saying most folks on forums are as such, but be careful making choices based on forums! Anybody can say anything here ... as I am here ... and you have to know enough about the subject at hand to make a judgement on what you read. I could claim to be an "employee of Walther" and you wouldn't know different: he or she could have just been fired and have an agenda, etc...

Our TWO CCPs have not had any of these problems ... so far ... and I shoot mine as fast as a gun can be shot other than Ed McGivern, and the shots are all in the ten ring (in my first shoot of mine yesterday). I shoot at 100 yards, and will do it at 200 yards next after sorting the final adjustments of the sights, and learning the ballistics a tad with standard Federal 9mm at Walmart which I shoot most of the time.

There are a ton of great and knowledgable guys on here, and I can tell by the details and information ... with my prior knowledge as a scale to make such judgement telling me so, but even then I do my own research. Even Doctors can mislead you, as I have found with my own research. I learned to do this before testifying in court as Lawyers are the biggest scammers as to misrepresenting facts, and I love to disarm them in front of the world.

AGAIN ... be careful before making important decisions based on stuff on forums, that is all I am saying...

How about this negative side: What if a person, such as my fiancee who doesn't have the hand strength to work most slides, and has been limited to small calibers ... should she more concerned with a long reset or a smaller caliber in a life or death scenario? This gun ... the Walther CCP (like some Jeeps made in Mexico) may be made in a different part of Germany, but the CCP makes the difference between a .380 and a full bore 9mm for some folks. For the expert level shooter that is not the case, but some folks are not expert level shooters. Small flaws with solutions, does have give and take, like soft recoil hunting ammo ... you give up game dropping power for accuracy if you do not like 460 Weatherby recoil, like nuts such as myself does!

The Perfect CCW gun for most shooters is as follows:

Shoots a 50 caliber bullet
can drop an elephant
no recoil whatsoever
fits in your front pocket
the ammo is free
made in Perfectville Germany (the country who lost to American guns in WWII)
And costs $5.00

Remember, this is NOT a target gun nor a competition gun, this is a save your Arse gun!

Last edited:

Fishbed77

As a cop I am dubious of some witnesses, and for good reasons. I am talking about engineers, clergy, and just about anybody. I am not saying most folks on forums are as such, but be careful making choices based on forums!

That is true.

But also question rave reviewers on the internet that seem to turn a blind eye to possible flaws in a product and insinuate that others are trying spread misinformation.

What do these folks reporting the dead trigger issue have to gain by making up such an issue? It's possible that the issue lies in a defective pistol or a faulty design. It's also possible that user-induced error is the culprit.

Remember, this is NOT a target gun nor a competition gun, this is a save your Arse gun!

That's why it is all the more important to report and explore such issues with the CCP. Unlike Walther, Umarex has practically zero experience in building defensive pistols (their only previous defensive pistol design being the very underwhelming PK380 - an overweight .380 plagued by questionable design choices and QC and reliability issues).

Last edited:

WildBill45

What do these folks reporting the dead trigger issue have to gain by making up such an issue?

you may have that one off course. I was not talking about the dead trigger thing, but overall on the forums. The dead trigger thing, for that gun at least, is something one can try for themselves, but those who do not own the gun in question cannot, so in that light, the caution to them still applies I am sure. The only negative thing I had with the CCP is my fault ... hitting the mag release with my big hands, once I adjusted and pointed the thumb forward as I should but got lazy with other guns, the problem went away, and only happened during sustained firing at speed where you are at max control levels working the gun and your hand is being flexed, so proper position is very important.

Sigowner

I tested Theohazard's procedure with my CCP and could not duplicate the "dead trigger" issue (see our post exchange in his thread). Also, I can not feel anything in trigger release that I interpret as a reset point/action. The trigger travels approximately 95% forward before I feel the reset.

The CCP is definitely proof marked with the Cologne, Germany icon which does mean it is manufactured at the Umarex facility. Problem is that no one knows whether the line producing the CCP is setup differently and whether the people and tooling is the same or not. Only time will tell us whether we made a mistake in purchasing or Umarex has changed something in their manufacturing and QA.

TunnelRat

The CCP is definitely proof marked with the Cologne, Germany icon which does mean it is manufactured at the Umarex facility. Problem is that no one knows whether the line producing the CCP is setup differently and whether the people and tooling is the same or not. Only time will tell us whether we made a mistake in purchasing or Umarex has changed something in their manufacturing and QA.

If your particular example works that's the primary concern.

Sigowner

WildBill45.....sorry I do not seem to have ability to reply with quote so I'll do it the old fashion way.

First, I certainly appreciate that you took the time to provide a lot of good detail e the CCP performance. Just one request....when you run the recoil test it would be helpful for viewers (at least this one) if you could mark the high point for each weapon so we get a better comparison.

Again, thanks.

WildBill45

it would be helpful for viewers (at least this one) if you could mark the high point for each weapon so we get a better comparison.

That was the point of the slow motion part, as I could no more mark the spot that you say you can't, it is too fast to see in real life. If you watch the slow mo, you will see the wrist torque and overall movement and rise much less with the CCP, although the CCP is smaller and lighter than the TP9 used as the comparison gun. most smaller guns, such as the NANO, would appear bigger in both categories I promise you! The CCP works as advertised. If you saw the other video, or in person the group at full bore speed is impressive!!!