New Colt 1991A1 or new Springfield Loaded?

art g

I can get the Colt or a Springfield PX9109 for about the same price ($499). I am thinking that the Colt would be the better platform to ultimately have custom work done down the road when funds permit. Which is the better quality gun right from the factory? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Art G.

Dr45ACP

In general Springfield makes a fine gun, at least comparable to and probably better than a colt. If you are talking about a Loaded model, it will have a lot of added features eg Novack sights, full length guide rod, extended thumb saftety, beavertail grip. So for the money, I think it is a better deal. Either would be suited for custom work later.

Some people will disagree with me on this but the one problem that I have with Springfield is that mine had a lot of sharp edges on it: Slide serrations, slide stop, and safety. I dont know if this is the case with all Springfields or if I just got a particulary sharp one, but you may want to look at it closely in this regard. This problem though, can be easily fixed; and good smith can de-horn it for you.

KITT

I just bought a Springfield Armory PX9151..this is the fullsize stainless "Loaded" model. I paid $505 + $15 shipping for it.I took a file to it today for about 45 minutes and knocked off all the sharp edges and it looks and feels great. I have only put about 150 rounds through it so far but it shoots great.Buying the "Loaded" model saves a lot of money from having to add on later. The Colt commercials say anything but a Colt is only a copy....well this Springfield Armory "Loaded" is a great "copy"

MP Freeman

Just got my Spingfield 'loaded' parkerized last week. It's an excellent 1911. Lots of nice stuff added on for the money. I'm switching to tritium sights, but other than that, I have no beefs with the pistol. I have not experienced any sharp edges or any problems whatsoever. Either way, it's your money. And money well spent.

Regards,
MP

glockjeeper

I had the exact same choice to make a few months ago, so I know exactly what your going through! Just before this decision came up on me, my brother had gotten a SA 1911A1 Loaded Parkerized. Nice gun, as a matter of fact, I did almost get one just like it. But, being a veteran, and loving anything military issue, I ended up getting another 1991A1 Colt. I used to have one when they first came out back in '91, but had since gotten rid of it. I also currently have a Beretta M9 9mm Special Edition. This is why I went with the 1991A1. I wanted something as similiar to an issue .45 as possible. And the Colt fit the bill perfectly, and if I decided to upgrade later I still could. Plus, the 1991A1's serial number range picked up from where Colt had left of in '45 when they sold their last batch of 1911A1s to the US Government.