New Colt 1911...So How Did I Do?

Joe_Pike

I know a lot of people will say I did horrible because 1911s with 3" barrels are nothing but trouble. That being said, I have read that the Colts are some of the more reliable of the 1911s in this configuration.

Anyway, it's the Defender Elite, which is a discontinued model, and I paid $699.99 shipped. The ad said it has a genuine Novak Low Mount Carry rear sight and a Novak white dot front sight. The ad was wrong on the front sight, though...it has a Trijicon front nighf sight instead which I thought was a bonus.

I bought a cheap AR15 a few weeks ago but ended up letting the shop I work at buy it from me, so, I was at net zero on gun purchases for the year. I wouldn't have bought this either if it wasn't for that darn Rampant Pony.:D
attachment.php

Attachments

• 719001978_1.jpeg
    719001978_1.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 535

damienph

I think that you did just fine, a good price for a Colt and a good looking compact 1911. There may be some officer sized 1911s that have been problematic but my SA Ultra Compact has been very reliable. It is somewhat finicky with some magazines but runs great with Wilson's and CMC's.

https://ibb.co/mWpm4Q

1stmar

I don't believe the recent generations of officer/defenders whatever you want to call it, have been problematic. Years ago the recommendation was to replace the guide rod,plug and bushing with a reverse plug. I don't think that's needed any longer. I have an Series 80 from 98 that I did this to and it's been 100% reliable, accurate and overall a great gun. You'll be fine

cw308

Great piece, I picked up a Colt New Agent 45acp came with Crimson Trace Laser grips . Very accurate & reliable , the early Colt 3" had problems with the recoil spring plunger assembly. That has been corrected. Its a great carry & fun to shoot , removing the slide is a little tricky at first but once you do it a few times its no big deal , be careful when installing the slide stop, don't scratch the frame. Good Luck With It. I love mine.

Longshot4

I like the defender. Although I don't own one I have handled one at the shop. I thought it was a natural fit in my hand. Just like my series 80. I would like to here more about handling a 45 of that size. Does it walk in your hands? Is it hard on the hands or not? What loads does it favor if any? I'm thinking 200Gr. I am also curious about the trigger pull and grips. I have been told that similar pistols don't like a loose grip because they will jam. Give us a full report... Let us know how it comes along.

cw308

Longshot4
My New Agent is the same gun as the Defender , only difference is the sights. The gun feels like a full size 45 and just as accurate , I fire 230 gr jacketed roundnose ( hardball ) ammo , the double recoil spring assembly tames the recoil . Feels good in the hands an a great CC auto. I just love the gun.