New Citadel 1911

chris in va

I just won this in a raffle, and having owned many CZ’s this is my first 1911.

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/citadel/citadel-m-1911-government-pistol/

A nice RO showed me how to field strip it and I found some cosmo-like grease on the guide rod which got cleaned out like the rest, and lubed with CLP. I set my steel out to the 50 yard and had no issue with the 97b, but couldn’t tag it with the 1911.

I rested it at 15 yards and found it was all over the place, mostly high left. Homebrew SWC, two factory FMJ. Disappointing to say the least. My CZ is half dollar at 15 yards.

I just got through cleaning out the barrel and ten patches later it’s still showing dark grey. The rifling is barely there, not sure if that’s normal?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nacho Man

I'm pretty sure those are made by Armscore/RIA.
I had one that was reliable and accurate.
My friend bought one around same time that
turned out to be a lemon.
From what I remember the barrel in mine
had alot of chatter marks and took forever to
clean, but otherwise it was pretty damn accurate.

pete2

I have a 9MM Citadel 1911. Fun pistol but not the quality of a Colt or even a Kimber but for 329.00, better than expected. It was fun to work on, too. I did shoot IDPA with it some. My gun shot low, filed the front sight down to zero it. If it shoots high you'll need a taller front sight or lower rear sight. I've bought several that shot low, never had one shoot high tho. Those that shot low were, the Citadel, Kimber, Glock, 3 Rugers, Beretta 92FS, I prefer a gun that shoots an inch or 2 high at 25Yards.

Last edited:

JDBerg

It could be worth a call to Citadel customer support to explain the accuracy issue and get their corrective action, perhaps a return material authorization.

chris in va

An update, I scrubbed the heck out of the barrel and after multiple (dirty) patches, accuracy was greatly improved. Not sure why it had so much junk in it but I’ve decided it’s a keeper now that I had a chance to figure it out.

It desperately needs an extended mag release and fiber front sight.

smee78

I would let someone else shoot it that is more familiar with 1911's. Also get some more rounds through it, they usually need a little break in. With the extended mag release and fiber front sight you want to install I'm sure it will only shoot better.

KyJim

chris in va---

Glad it seems to be working out for you. I don't own a Citadel but do own a STI-branded 1911 made by RIA (which makes Citadel). It has been a reliable and accurate pistol for me.

Jim

JDBerg

KyJim: said:
Glad it seems to be working out for you. I don't own a Citadel but do own a STI-branded 1911 made by RIA (which makes Citadel). It has been a reliable and accurate pistol for me.

Hmm...sounds like an STI Spartan which IMHO IS one of the all time best guns for the money. Definitely was the best new gun with a $625.00 list price, but which is now discontinued. I have an STI Trojan 9mm which might be my favorite pistol.

A few years back there was a Spartan V .45 ACP at an LGS on consignment, and I thought this Spartan would work nicely to keep my Trojan company. The trigger on this Spartan was 1911 perfection, whoever worked that trigger should work on all my 1911’s. However, the asking price was $800.00, and I offered $700.00, and the consignor wouldn’t even split the diff, which is a principle thing with me. So I passed on it, but these are really excellent guns that are a step up from the Armscor RIA guns that the Spartan starts out as.

Last edited:

Forte S+W

Who makes the Citadel 1911 again, Bersa?

Actually, I'll Google it...

ARMSCOR.

That's actually really surprising. I could have sworn it was either Bersa or some Turkish company.

kenny53

Chris, I like Armscor products. I have my second RIA 1911. I foolishly sold my first one. I like their ammo, both rimfire and centerfire. I believe they have a manufacturing plant in Montana now. Good luck with your new gun.

bamaranger

barrel

Hey Chris,

Good luck with your new pistol. I noted your comments regards accuracy.

A few months back, I acquired a "budget" 1911 (.45acp) which was functional, but also not particularly accurate. I was forced to install a new barrel (another story) and ended up with an Ed Brown pre-fit "match" barrel, about $150. As advertised the barrel was a near dropped in, and a few passes with a round file on the lugs where the link is pinned was all that was required. The EB website link was very helpful and I would say about anybody with a bit of sense could do it.

My budget pistol is now a tack driver. Perhaps a viable option for you if so inclined. I think we got the barrel from Brownells.