New charge data sources?

kealil

Hello All!

Fair warning, I may be asking a simple question but bear with me I've been out of the game for over a year.

As I have been getting back into the reloading game, I've been noticing a ton of new data being thrown about online for various cartridges, bullet, and powder combos that are just not listed anywhere in my manuals.

For instance, As far as my manuals are concerned, trailboss and bullseye have no data for modern rifle cartridges(223, 308, and similar) with lead bullets. The websites for these powders also concur with my manuals. But I have been seeing various data for both of these powders(and more) with a variety of boolits and cartridges.

Are there new sources of reliable data that I'm not aware of? Or are my manuals just that out date?

The manuals I use are primarily Lyman 48th ed, Hornady 4th ed(for 223 mainly), and Speer 12th ed(For when I actually use Speer bullets).

EDIT: I do also have one more manual. Lyman Cast Bullet handbook 4th ed. I have not referenced it because someone is currently borrowing it. I probably should have referenced that first but I didn't think about it until just now.

Marco Califo

Bullseye is a great fast pistol powder

Bullseye is a legendary, and still excellent, fast pistol powder.

But, the only rifle application for Bullseye that I know of is called destructive testing. In other words, if you want to find out at what point your rifle will suffer a catastrophic failure, Bullseye can help you find that point. You will no longer be able to use that firearm. And I hope you have enough sense not to hold it in your hand, next to your face when doing it. Else, your hand, face and head might also be no longer usable.

Bullseye should NEVER be used in 223, or any other rifle cartridge. Whatever gave that idea is wrong.

So say Alliant current data http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/bullseye.aspx
and old data scanned Hercules (now Alliant) paper guides
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant/Hercules_1992.pdf

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Marco Califo said:
Bullseye should NEVER be used in 223, or any other rifle cartridge. Whatever gave that idea is wrong.

That's not really true. You won't likely find any official data for it but folks have been using Bullseye and other fast pistol powders for "gallery loads" and case forming purposes for a very long time.