New CD

blades67

I bought a Charles Daly yesterday. I was bitten by the "cheap 1911 to tinker with" bug. It has Novak sights (dovetailed front no less), lowered and flared ejection port, front cocking serations, comander style hammer and beavertail grip safety with release button (memorygrove, whatever you want to call it) and the worlds worst magazine.

I will get some more Wilson Combat magazines for it, I only have one at this time.

If this were your pistol, what would you change first without selling it and buying a (insert Kimber, Colt, Wilson, Baer, etc. here)? I have my own ideas, but I'm interested in other ideas as well.

New_comer

I was bitten by the "cheap 1911 to tinker with" bug.
Hi, Blades67!

You should have waited till next month. CD is supposed to launch the new "Medallion" series in the States. I've seen these guns yesterday at the gun show, and boy are they really cool. I'm impressed with the specs: hand-fitted, fiber-optic front sight, adjustable rear sight, the deepest blueing i've seen(blued version), combat trigger, beavertail, serrations at grip and at the top of the slide, comes in four versions: stainless, two tone, military and standard models. I cornered one of the reps there, and he said that they usually make about a thousand units a month of the regular CD's, but only five Medallions come out, due to the rigors of hand-fitting.

They're supposed to compete in the high-end market, coz they're priced from $600 standard to $900+ to the stainless full package version.:cool:

Best,

New_comer

KPS

Depends on how far you wanna go with it.You could toss out all the cheap MIM parts and install wilson or ed brown tool steel parts.Install a Nowlin drop-in trigger kit, wolff recoil spring.Possibilities are endless but you have a decent frame/slide to start with.:)

blades67

Which parts are MIM?

I was thinking that I would start with a Dwyer Group Gripper and experiment with my reloads a little.

johnwill

I'd take it to the range a few times and shoot it before you even think of modifying it. You'll probably have a much better idea of what you'd like to change after that.

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
Have to be awfully cool to justify $600 on a Charles Daly. I subscribe to the cheap gun + elbow grease theory, but not if it costs more than a Springfield or a Kimber! It would be interesting to see what they've come up with, though. Taurus used to be a cheap gun you could tinker with, too, and now they're among the innovators.

KPS

IIRC, most MIM parts are the hammer,sear,thumb safety,grip safety,MS housing,disconnector,firing pin,f/p stop.I think most non-custom factory guns come with these.