New CCW gun?

Walter

What do you think? I've got the itch for a new CCW gun, and I am
waivering between a SIG 229 Equinox or an H K USP Compact V1.

My main carry gun now is a CZ RAMI .40, which I really like, but I
just want to step up a level.

Anybody experienced with both guns? Any particular points I
should consider?

All input much appreciated! :)

Walter

Rebeldon

Like everybody always says, which feels better in your hand? Both are great pistols. My preference would be the Sig.

PSP

What do you hope to gain by changing weapons? If you're just scratching an itch to buy a new gun, then it's hard to say. If you are looking for specific qualities, more accurate, thinner, lighter, DAO, whatever...then an opinion can be made with facts and data.

FWIW, I have a USPc9, but I've never handled or owned a Sig 239. The HK is a great weapon in every reguard except maybe ease of concealment. The HK2000 model may be of interest too.

threegun

My main carry gun now is a CZ RAMI .40, which I really like, but I
just want to step up a level.

???????????What doesn't the CZ do for you that a step up is needed? Is this gun for a step up in "stature" or a step up in gun fight winning? The only significant step up in my opinion is going to be in stature.

givo08

I would hate to use an Equinox for concealed carry. The black part of the finish will get all scratched up. Visit sigforum.com to and do a search for pictures of equinox finish scratching.

PSP

True...but,

givo08, With all due respect, a carry gun, any carry gun, is going to wear and face cosmetic abuse. Why would you let that fact hinder you from using a quality weapon? It's just a fact of life.

Silvanus

PSP, because what makes the Equinox so special it its looks. If it's going to get scratched up anyway, there is no reason to buy it anymore. I think that's what he meant.

IMO, 'HK or SIG' is just a matter of preference and what fits your hands best. You can't say that one is better than the other...Personally, I would choose the SIG, they fit my hands a little bit better.

GreyFox

i have the equinox, and i wouldn't carry for why they are saying.... your paying 3 hundred bucks for the gun to look the way it does, get the SAS if you like the wood grips, which i think is the best part of the equinox, or if thats not what you like think about the blued 229R DAK if you were interested in the accessory rail. which the SAS does not have, i kinda regret not getting a DAK and it will be my next purchase. the SAS is made for CCW its dehorned and alla that good stuff, the HKs are nice too. But I would get the sig. if you said what you liked about the equinox (other than its overall badass aperance), and the other models might be able to steer you in a better direction. If i had all the money in the world to blow... then yes I would carry my equinox, awesome gun. Great night sights, very comfortable. but untill then 229r dak would be my pick

Last edited:

Hank's Dad

I just found a LNIB used Sig P228 that I just couldn't let stay in the store. Then I decided that a P229R would be a good companion for it. I like the look and feel of both. The P228 is just a tad bit lighter. But I am planning to shoot the 229 much more so the heavier slide will be welcomed. I have owned 228's in the past, but never a 229. So far I am liking the lines and the feel and think it will get a lot of action. I would try just a regular 229. If you like the way it performs, then get another "fancier" one.

I saw the new P220 Carry Equinox and P220 Equinox today. Was very impressed with how they looked, but would echo what has been said that I would be reluctant to carry one...just too pretty. Wouldn't want to mess them up. And I have a tough time spending that much extra $ for something I wouldn't carry.

My thoughts only. Good luck.

Hank's Dad

Just thought I would follow up. As I said earlier, I got a P229R the other day. Got mine in a 9mm. I have never had a P229, but I took it out for a range session and boy, am I impressed! Loved how it shot. I tried several different types of ammo and it worked flawlessly, and all shot very accurately.

Although too early to give it the 100% nod, it is very likely this little gun will see a lot of action in the future. I'm excited to test the P228 now too. Go with the Sig! (if it fits your hand well)!

atblis

Step up a lievel?

Have you had any problems with the CZ? THe only thing you might be stepping up in is price.

Michigunner

If you are itching to buy another handgun, I think the HK USP Compact V1 would be an excellent choice.

Mine is .45 ACP. I had the full-sized model, but it was too big for my small hands.

It pulls up tight to your body using a Milt Sparks 55BN belt holster, which I got in two days from Lightning Arms Sports.

Bill

bulbboy

I have the P229 Equinox and the P239 SAS. I would hate to carry the Equinox because it will scratch the finish. I try to take care of all my guns, even my carry guns. But, I expect the carry ones to get scratched. But, when you pay the extra $$ for the Equinox - just for the looks, its hard to justify carrying it.(if you go for the Equinox make sure they have the right grips on them - Sig was backstocked and I had to wait 3 months for them to come in!) Get the SAS or a normal P229 - both wonderful handguns! I also have a H & K P2000sk and love it.

SASEquinox.jpg

P229Equinox.jpg

H--K-P2000SK.jpg

Walter

Thanks for the input. I think I'd better see if I can't shoot both these guns
before I buy anything.

threegun, by "step up", I mean getting a firearm that is well known to be
dependable. I had SERIOUS functioning issues with my RAMI, and I wasn't
the only one. I took the time and trouble to work mine out, and I "think" the
gun is fine now. I've got over 300 rounds through it without an FTF.
But I don't know if that nagging little doubt will ever go away.

Walter