New bullpup 308's about to hit the market!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themalicious0ne

So IWI just announced their 308 Tavor and it must have put pressure on Desert Tech to finally start shipping their MDR's.

The CEO just released a letter today stating they were finishing painting some parts and would be shipping in 2-3 weeks. Desert Tech has done an absolutely aweful job about pushing back their release date probably at least 10 times over the past couple years.

I will honestly be curious to see which hits the streets first and I cannot wait to hear about either as I am sure one of the two will be mine.

So what are your thoughts and which one will you actually see first?

Model12Win

I would get the Tavor, no question. Desert Tech has been totally incompetent with their new rifle. I would imagine their customer service would be just as slow if you would have a problem.

Screwball

Just look at the companies... IWI is based out of Israel, making a metric crap ton of firearms. Their firearms are successes, and they are giving the market things it wants.

DT might know how to build a bolt action rifle, but their current track record for a rifle A LOT of people wanted is sketchy.

But we know that IWI rifles will run... not sure on the DT, since they aren't out. But with the amount of BS behind their release date, if you have one of their rifles, would you feel comfortable that their warranty will do you right? IWI's will, which is why there is a Tavor in my safe.

bamaranger

wants

No experience with either company as listed previous, but I do not want a bullpup .308! The blast and concussion, right off the end of your nose, will surely be sensational.

Model12Win

Just look at the companies... IWI is based out of Israel, making a metric crap ton of firearms. Their firearms are successes, and they are giving the market things it wants.

DT might know how to build a bolt action rifle, but their current track record for a rifle A LOT of people wanted is sketchy.

But we know that IWI rifles will run... not sure on the DT, since they aren't out. But with the amount of BS behind their release date, if you have one of their rifles, would you feel comfortable that their warranty will do you right? IWI's will, which is why there is a Tavor in my safe.
I agree with this statement. I also believe IWI deserves out business, it's our duty to help the economy of one of our closest allies.

I am proud to see the chosen people releasing a .308 bullpup version of the venerable Tavor. This should give much better downrange performance. I'm looking forward to what long range optics will be most effective with the system and how well a bipod can be employed, both important for it's role as a DMR/sniper rifle.

ttarp

I'm going to laugh if IWI releases their rifle before DT does. That company bit off way more than they could chew, and their exceptionally poor and unprofessional handling of the situation has caused me to lose any respect and faith I had in them.

I honestly don't know how DT could fail to release the MDR before IWI, according to them its been "ready to ship, just waiting on ejection chutes, 2-3 weeks", or "A supplier fell behind schedule, 2-3 weeks", or "Some parts were out of spec, 2'3 weeks", or "parts still being coated, 2-3 weeks".

Its like kids during a road trip, "are we there yet?", mom answers, "10 more minutes".

Hmmm, maybe an accurized Tavor in 6.5 Creedmoor? Since I am wishing. Although the trigger arrangements on bullpups are usually not conducive to accurizing.

Fishbed77

I would get the Tavor, no question.

Same here. Not sure why anyone would consider the MDR rifle as anything more than a very expensive toy compared to the extensively developed and refined Tavor/X95 (irregardless of caliber).

I'm going to laugh if IWI releases their rifle before DT does.

You shouldn't be surprised. Tavor/X95 development lasted many times longer than that of the MDR. Tavor development began way back in 1995, and it was 14 years before it matured and was accepted into service in 2009. And it's had 8 more years of development since them.

jonnyc

Not to worry, most of Israel's military aid is spent in the US, including on Israeli designed and engineered weapons.
Israel gets the weapons it needs at a good price, and we get the money and jobs. Pretty good deal all around.

agtman

* * * IWI is based out of Israel, making a metric crap ton of firearms. Their firearms are successes, and they are giving the market things it wants.

Not only that, but IWI's weapons are made in a part of the world where such weapons have to work, - all the time, every day, with "combat" level reliability and under the harshest conditions.

Sure, I like to "buy American" when I can, but for something my life might depend on, I'd take an IWI-made product over an equivalent one from some U.S. start-up company with production timeliness issues. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TrueBlue711

Pretty awesome news! I've always been interested about getting the Keltec RFB, but only because it was the only .308 bullpup in the market (not including new bullpup chassis for other .308 rifles like the m1a). I wonder if the .308 Tavor will take the same trigger (and other) upgrades that are already out in the market for the normal Tavor.
The blast and concussion, right off the end of your nose, will surely be sensational.
I agree, the noise/blast of a .308 that much closer to the head may suck. But I'm sure different muzzle devices for directing noise/blast away will fix that.

ttarp

What, anti semitic or something? Sure some folks take it overboard, but this is hardly the place to rant about it, to say nothing of the fact we're talking about a rifle from a good sized well established company vs a delayed rifle from a small US company clearly in over their head.

jonnyc

And ain't it amazin' that through all the BS and $$$ the world has cost us that we actually support the only democracy in the whole Middle East? We should be continuin' to waste even more on them lovable rotten dictatorships that would love to cut our throats in some dark alley. Boy is we stoopid!

And to keep it relevant...I'm thinking a bit about a 5.56 Tavor, but one in 7.62 might make me think twice. At least with very good ear defenders.

And ain't it amazin' that through all the BS and $$$ the world has cost us that we actually support the only democracy in the whole Middle East? We should be continuin' to waste even more on them lovable rotten dictatorships that would love to cut our throats in some dark alley. Boy is we stoopid!

And to keep it relevant...I'm thinking a bit about a 5.56 Tavor, but one in 7.62 might make me think twice. At least with very good ear defenders.
you mean the "democracy" that has the same prime minister in power for 30 years? I would buy nothing from them especially over an American company. a lot of americans put Israel over the USA. really a disgrace and a product of brainwashing with an enema. we would not have problems with arabs if we did not get involved in israels 3000 year war with arabs. we have been propping up dictators for 60 years including saddam hussein

agtman

* * * We would not have problems with arabs if we did not get involved in israels 3000 year war with arabs. We have been propping up dictators for 60 years including saddam hussein.

Saddam Hussein wasn't an Israeli, ... and never ever dated one. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.