New Bullets

Hawg

A friend on one of my other forums gave me 150 of these .36 caliber Richmond Laboratories bullets cast from an Era's Gone mold. I can't wait to try them out in my 51 navy and my Leech & Rigdon. I may even try a couple in a Remington if I feel like fooling with one. I'd like to try them in my Griswold & Gunnison but I'm scared I'll mess the frame up.

3e4IqFql.jpg

bedbugbilly

Hawg - please post on how you like them and how they work in your different models.

I just both the mold for the .44 Johnston & Dow bullet and the .36 Colt Cartridge Works designs.

I have nothing to do with the company who sells these molds - Eras Gone Bullet Molds. Here is their link if anyone is interested.

http://erasgonebullets.webstarts.com

The molds are double cavity - special run for Eras Gone by Lee. Priey at around $65 or so but they are "special run" and not available from any other but Eras Gone - I'm probably going to add the one for the 1849 Baby Dragoon as well. I haven't cast with mine yet as I'm in AZ for the winter and waiting on a new lead pot.

I'm interested to hear what you think of them out of your Spiller & Burr - that's one model I want to add to "the herd". The Richmond Laboratories still that you have look awesome and very appropriate for your Confederate models! Eras Gone has done an excellent job in the molds/styles they offer. I'm also looking at getting a Smith carbine and am looking at their original style Smith bullet - Smith molds are out of stock at the present but hopefully will be backinstock soon.

Enjoy and let us know what you think of them!

Hawg

Hawg - please post on how you like them and how they work in your different models.

I will if it ever dries up enough. I need to rework the rams so they don't deform the noses too. I don't have a Spiller & Burr so can't help you there.

44 Dave

On my Pietta .36 rams I used a Severance 1/2" GLR Bur, R-Shape, Tree Shape with Rounded Nose, Single Cut, High Speed Steel. Some Piettas can't just have a Uberti ram used. My reamer was in my dad's tools but a new one is about $25. so if you have a few the $$ might be =.

maillemaker

I have found it easiest to drill out the nose of the ram, and then fill it with JB Weld. Then smear some lube on the nose of a bullet, and stick it in the JB Weld in a vice. When the JB weld sets up, you pop the bullet out and touch it up with some sandpaper, and you've got a ram with a perfect conical indentation.

Steve

44 Dave

I got the Colt pattern mold. It looks like the Richmond has a longer heel. Has any of us compared the two for use in paper cartridges?

44 Dave

With the Colt pattern the paper has to end below the band to make a "good looking" cartridge. That Richmond looks to be more forgiving,
When loading straight bullet the Colt drops in and stands straight.
Think the answer is to have all 3, round, Richmond, and Colt.

Hawg

There's a guy selling cartridge formers that make good period looking bullets. Here's a video of making Colt and Richmond cartridges with the same former.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ltgA9pNB0&t=283s

The Richmond drops in straight even when placing it in the chamber before it gets to the the ram opening. It does touch the barrel lug but it doesn't affect loading. Plenty of room to get it under the ram.

IHTVr6el.jpg

bedbugbilly

Just as a point of information -

I got some of the Johnson & Dow .44 cast the other day - mold works perfect and they drop like butter.

I have always shot '51 Navies and haven't had a '60 Army for years. I recently bought a '6- from a fellow - like new - a Uberti marked with Navy Arms. Sitting the Johnston & Dow in the end of the chamber like Hawg shows above in his photo, there is not enough clearance in the ramming throat for the cylinder to rotate and the bullet have clearance - i.e. - the bullet is a tad too long. My revolver has what I would term a "rounded top" chamber - would work fine with a bullet like the Lee mold casts I'm sure. I pulled up some photos of original '60 Colts and from what I'm seeing, the ramming throat on the originals have a more pointed conical shape to the throat that would conform to the Johnston & Dow bullet.

Not a big deal - when I get back to Michigan for the summer, I'm going to work on my revolver and shape the seating throat like the originals were originally and the Johnston & Wow will work just fine when I'm done. Just be aware that if you use the Johnston & Dow design, your pistol may or may not need to have the seating throat worked on a little. It wouldn't[t be a problem you seated the bullets with the cylinder off of the gun but I never do.

bedbugbilly

Yeah . . . . . . it makes a person wonder about the progression in design changes on the originals as new combustible cartridge/bullet designs changed. Even though combustible cartridges were available, I have to believe that on the Navy in particular - 1851 - that was made for so many years - a good portion in civilian hands were probably stuffed with loose powder and ball. I learned to shoot C & B on an original '51 Navy some 55 years ago - it belonged to an old gunsmith - in his late 80s at the time. It was his grandfather's IIRC and I remember him telling me that as far as he knew, it had always had RB loaded in it - he'd never shot a conical out of it and he had the original flask that he charged it with.

Fun to play with regardless of what you use and I'm looking forward to trying the Johanston & Dows in the '60 Army. I have the .36 Colt Cartridge Company mold as well - they cast up like butter and am looking forward to using them in my Uberti '51.