New bullet slinger

Short(er) barreled .308 bolt action

Been wanting a short heavy barrel rifle for a while. Came across a distributor special from Savage that is not listed on their website. The price was right so I jumped on it.
This is a model 10-PSR chambered in .308. It has 18" heavy threaded barrel, HUGE "tactical" bolt knob (which will probably be replaced with something a little shorter/smaller), 5R rifling and detachable box mag.

I added JP Enterprises tactical comp, Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 using Weaver bases and Leupold rings, 6-9" bipod. Worked up some trial handloads last night and looking forward to getting to the range this weekend to sight in and try out my handloads.

1378930774.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1378930900.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

hooligan1

The bolt is a little large but a larger bolt can mean faster reloading, if you practice, and you can safely practice with empty weapon,,, I added a larger bolt handle to my hunting rig (Savage 110, .270 win), and it seems to help.:)

I'm going to try the bolt knob as is for a while, it's just bigger and protudes more than I'm used to.

Hoping I can find a good load from the ones I loaded to narrow it down and refine it for best accuracy.

Range Report

Rifle is very accurate. 10 shots at 50 yds, all touching in a 1.5 inch vertical string.
Tried at 100 but, this scope is a POS! This is the first Nikon scope ive tried, and will probably be my last. Couldn't get it to focus at 100, clarity was awful to say the least, edges were very blurry no matter what cheek position I used, eye relief on 14x was very short and had my kneck stretched to get a good picture.
I'm returning the scope and getting a Vortex Viper, which from previous experience I know to be a far superior scope to this Nikon.

Hopefully will have a 100yd range report soon.

Nathan

Scope Issues. . .

Not sure it is the brand. Looks like the scope. Nikon will take care of it under warranty, but if you wanted good optics, you would have bought from the Monarch line.

Wow! Taking a second look, I'm surprised you are not happier with that scope!:eek:

Last edited:
$350 for a scope should yield some decent glass. Not the case with this scope. My Leupold VX1 was cheaper and is worlds better all around than the nikon...I'll spend an extra $70 and get the Viper.

handlerer2

I don't know if you will have thay much better luck with Leupold. I have had to return two Leupolds. They were repaired and returned in a timely manner, which is all you can really ask. One of them was a high dollar side focus target scope that would not stay in focus. It was returned better, but I found out later that most competitive shooters, have them boosted, upgraded after market to make them stay in focus, it seems to be a common complaint, that is only noticeable to a precision shooter. I didn't have it boosted, but bought a Niteforce instead. Optically about the same, but much better innards.

I have two Nikon Monarchs on two Weatherbys and never a bit of trouble, in spit of titanic recoil. So go figure. I had always used Leupold when I could afford them, and until I tried one on an F class rifle I loved them.

Not going with a Leupold for this rifle. Getting a Vortex Viper. I have a Leupold on my deer rifle (Tikka T3 Lite in .308). Been on there for 8 years now and still just as good as the day I got it.

The Vortex is far superior to the Nikon and also better than the VX1.

Got a Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44 with mil-dot reticle ordered...
$379 w/tax for the Nikon
$386 shipped for the Vortex

Will have another range report once I get it and get back to the range.

handlerer2

This is my range toy. It gives my shoulder a brake from the Weatherbys. I tas the Vortex Viper 6x24 FFP, zero stop, mil-mil, ect.

While my eyes aren't great, anymore, I honestly can't see any difference in the optical properties of the Vortex, or the Nikon Monarchs. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the same glass. The Vortex Viper has more features that i wanted, in a rifle not for hunting. The Monarchs have never failed me in the worst hunting conditions I have ever experienced

Attachments

• DSCN0646 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0646 (640x480).jpg
    111 KB · Views: 27