New Bug-Out Gun

David the Gnome

So I was in Bud's Gun Shop the other day taking a look around, like I do pretty much every weekend, and I saw a peculiarly small AK-47 sitting on a display table. I picked it up and noticed that it was in fact an AK pistol instead of a rifle. It was a Romanian Draco 7.62x39mm AK-47 Pistol imported by Century International Arms. I went home and did some research and read a lot of great reviews so I decided to go ahead and bite. Here it is:

draco01.jpg

draco02.jpg

draco03.jpg

draco04.jpg

This gun will be taking over the role of my Bug-Out/Emergency/Zombie gun. It is compact and light enough to be easily carried slung across the chest and accepts standard AK-47 magazines. This means you can carry around 30+1 rounds of 7.62x39mm in a gun small enough to ride in your lap in the car. The build quality is very good for a Century import. The finish leaves a lot to be desired (like it does on most AK's). It has the proper magazine dimples so mags lock in nice and tight (no WASR crap here). The front sight is lined up nice and straight with no hint of cant to either side. All and all this is a vastly superior build job than that found on the other Century imports. Whoever put this gun together for Century did a much better job than those typically found on Century imports.

I've also been wanting to scratch that SBR itch and I think this may be the perfect pistol/rifle for it. Supposedly the rear trunnion is already set up for a folding stock, you just need to drill it out (after getting the appropriate legal documents to do the conversion of course). I'll probably go ahead and start a thread for the SBR conversion and see what sorts of ideas others will come up with.

Also, if anyone has any experience with one of these, what sort of sling solution did you use? There's just the single sling attachment point on the front of the gun right now so I'm not sure where to attach the sling to the rear.

David the Gnome

I plan on taking it out to the range tomorrow. I'll take my AK-rifle as well and do a side by side comparison. On the rifle the recoil is really mild so I don't expect the pistol to be a whole lot worse, even if it is considerably lighter.

pacerdude

Cool thanks for the info. Hope the weather is good enough up there for you to test out your gun, it's raining again this weekend here in GA.

docpadds

We just transferred one of these today for one of our customers, super sweet little thing it was too, an Olympic OA93.

full-oa-93.jpg

Didnt get a chance to shoot it, though was invited to play with it before pickup :(

cycleguru

David, very cool. Just curious how much it set you back? BTW, if it's none of my business you won't hurt my feelings. Just curious, that's all.

Stringfellow

This may be a dumb question, so pardon my ignorance...

Replacement full-size AK barrels are pretty cheap ($30?). Would it be as simple as changing out the barrel for a full size to make it "street legal"?

Alternatively, is there an "extension" in the form of a compensator or anything that could make it legal?

Thanks!

David the Gnome

As it sits right now it is perfectly legal. If you were to put a stock on it it would become illegal unless you had a stamp for it. It would not be practical to swap the barrel since the Draco has a shortened gas system to fit its shorter barrel. It would be much cheaper to simply buy a full size AK-47. You can get a WASR for pretty much the same price.

orangello

I have been drooling over one of these of late and have a few questions. Have you had a chance to shoot this yet? If so, how did it perform? Have you tried different mags & how did they fit? How loud & how big was the fireball & report with that shorty barrel? Have you found many accessories available, particularly a replacement gas tube with a rail for a holo sight or laser? I also wonder about how hard that barrel nut would be to remove for replacement with a flash suppressor/muzzle brake.

A buddy has a WASR10 that i bleve was done by Century; i was not thrilled with some minor fit & finish, but it wasn't horrible and shoots well for what it is. You think the Draco is tighter & better than a Century WASR10?

Thanks

woody wood

i have a draco ak pistol-have not shoot it yet,but did refinish the handgard,with a "russian red" stain and used "rockhard" for a finish.
mabe i can find some pics and post them.
for rear sling mount i drilled and threaded for a shotgun swivel stile mount and seems to be fine. i tried to atach a standard style ak sling to the front mount and new rear mount-but did not like that.i took that same sling and
looped both ends to rear of pistol,and it is better,but still dont like it. i think
that i will need to get a single pioint sling like i have on my plr 16.
build quality does seem to be good-better than i expected.
chrome lined barrel to run corrosive ammo is a plus-just clean after shooting.
i wish it had a side mount for scope.thinking about puting on this and one other ak if someone has some advice.i may start a new thread on that topic.

Jedburgh

If you want to achieve any kind of accuracy out of weapon with this kind of design, you need to mount a good sling to the rear plate. Snap the "pistol" forward until the sling is tight when you fire. Otherwise, just spray and pray.

p90-sd-bh-tac-sling.jpg

Good luck.

DOL

plom

Here is my solution! I own both those arsenal AR-SF, one in 223 and one in 7,62x39. The one in 223 is way more accurate and a bit more compact.

TRguy

SBR it otherwise it is just a toy and not worth much

SBR it and you can add the stock and some form of a compensator, or a muzzle brake.....

not really any domestic ammo production to speak of.....

Might be just as well served with a handgun for your Bug Out Bag

Last edited: