New Buckmark Owner

Georgian

Hey yall. I just purchased a new Buckmark Camper (stainless/hi vis sights), but have yet to receive it. I have wanted one for several years now, but just now decided to purchase one. I have owned a Ruger MKIII for approximately 9 years, with no problems, but I wanted something different. Is there anything I should know about the Buckmark as a new owner (also first Browning)?

DMY

So much to discover

There's lots to discover as you enjoy your new pistol. The first is to learn which .22 ammo your particular handgun likes. That might take awhile. You can try the trigger spring flip, think about Tactical Sports barrels, rails, FO sights, etc., etc., etc. There is a specific section on Buckmarks on another forum dedictated to rimfires. Have fun.

zincwarrior

Our buckmark's slide screws would loosen so we would have to tighten them every 50 rounds. But that may have been a function of a lot of shooting and stripping for cleaning.

If the slide is to stiff there are clips you can attach to make it easy. A lot of kids use them on the .22s in steel challenge, and then annihilate everyone...

Georgian

Until I began researching the Buckmark series of pistols, I did not know it was so easily modified with additional barrels, sights, etc. Although I thought of getting a Ruger MKIV, with how easily they disassemble, I wanted something different. It appears that the Buckmark is an extremely well thought out design.

GlenF

On the Buckmark Camper taking the grip panels off made me think I was looking at a $150 pistol.

The one I have uses rubber with thin metal backing wrap around grips, held on with two screws. Taking that off, and allowing gravity to do it's thing, makes for a learning experience.

However, I really like to shoot the thing. Good trigger and accuracy.

Prof Young

I'm on my second Buckmark.

My first Buckmark was also my first handgun. It was very reliable, but over the years, as I learned more about handguns, I realized it was accurate enough for plinking and but the groups started to open up after 25 yards.

My second Buckmark is a Contour 7.25. with a scope on it and shooting off a sandbag I get one inch groups or better at 40 yards.

Not a lot to complain about with a Buckmark and a lot to like.

You will enjoy yours.

Life is good.
Prof Young

sigarms228

I bought a new Buckmark Camper last year and really like it. I also have a Ruger Standard but the grip is small for me and not so fond of the grip angle but it is a terrific pistol too. LGS had the Buckmark for $349 and Browning had a $25 rebate. Works fine with CCI Minimags, Federal 525 36 gr bulk pack , CCI SV, and Remington Golden that I have tried so far and zero malfunctions.

Here is link to American Rifleman review on Browing Buckmark and the terrific accuracy they are capable of out of the box, average 25 yard group was .66 inch, even with cheap ammo like Federal AutoMatch bulk.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...ning-buck-mark-field-target-suppressor-ready/

M0BMPAz.jpg

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

I bought a used one last year off GB. Insanely accurate and reliable. As mentioned, very easily modified to make it even better.

One of my favorite guns.

gbclarkson

I bought my son a Buckmark camper for his 10th birthday. He loves it. I do too. It is accurate and has had only one bad day, several misfires on one reeeaaallly cold day.

It doesn't like cold weather. Neither do I.

bn12gg

I have owned a BuckMark Hunter for the better part of a decade -- poured thousands of rounds thru the pistol. A year ago I installed a Tandemcross trigger on the gun -- wow ! The tandemcross trigger breaks clean and light weight improving the BuckMark.

Just something a BuckMark owner might think about. There are many trigger choices in the aftermarket world.

David :)

GarandTd

I was on the market for a Buckmark for a while when I wanted a decent target 22. One of the things I liked was that I could buy a short barrel model and a longer barrel from Browning for what I considered reasonable prices. I ended up stumbling across a stainless Ruger Mk3 target model for a good price. I bought it instead. I may still get a Buckmark eventually.

larryf1952

I've got a stainless Camper UFX, just like the one in Sigarms228's pic. I've had it for about 5 years. I replaced the black front post with a Dawson FO front sight. That helped a lot.

As for ammo, I've run only Aguila high velocity copper washed roundnose and Mini Mags without any malfunctions. The gun has a great trigger, and I like the adjustable rear sight.

As for something you should know about the gun? If you're into detail stripping when you clean, like I am...the Buckmark will probably present the biggest challenge of your gun enthusiast life. I'll typically fire 1000 rounds or so through the Buck before I decide to clean it. There is soot and carbon fouling EVERYWHERE. It might be a personal character flaw, but I can't put away a dirty gun.

I found a YouTube video that another brave soul had posted which demonstrated him detail stripping a Buckmark. Suffice to say, it is not for the faint of heart. I'm a patient and mechanically inclined individual; a large part of my career dealt with the repair and adjustment of very small and precision mechanics. I'm not often scared away by a challenge. I watched the video, studied the gun, took my time and took a lot of pictures during the disassembly process. I got the gun apart, cleaned and reassembled, and it still worked without any parts lost or left on the table. But, I certainly did have a sense of accomplishment after that. :D

Spats McGee

Administrator
Hey yall. I just purchased a new Buckmark Camper (stainless/hi vis sights), but have yet to receive it. I have wanted one for several years now, but just now decided to purchase one. I have owned a Ruger MKIII for approximately 9 years, with no problems, but I wanted something different. Is there anything I should know about the Buckmark as a new owner (also first Browning)?
That you're gonna need more ammo? :D

Congratulations on New Gun Day!

I bought a new Buckmark Camper last year and really like it. I also have a Ruger Standard but the grip is small for me and not so fond of the grip angle but it is a terrific pistol too. LGS had the Buckmark for $349 and Browning had a $25 rebate. Works fine with CCI Minimags, Federal 525 36 gr bulk pack , CCI SV, and Remington Golden that I have tried so far and zero malfunctions.

Here is link to American Rifleman review on Browing Buckmark and the terrific accuracy they are capable of out of the box, average 25 yard group was .66 inch, even with cheap ammo like Federal AutoMatch bulk.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...ning-buck-mark-field-target-suppressor-ready/

M0BMPAz.jpg
Nice!! Sigarms. Good looking pistol.

sigarms228

Thanks Carl the Floor Walker. :)

It is just the basic stainless Camper model that I have wanted for a long time. Last fall I saw my LGS had them priced better than anywhere online so I bought one and have been very pleased with it. The grip works well but not the best looking LOL. Good news is I can change someday if I want to but I will probably just leave well enough alone and I know it is a bit more complicated to change grips on a Buckmark than most any other pistol, though if one takes there time and follows instructions it should not be a big deal.

shep854

Study the manual (and videos if you can find them) before you disassemble. The tiny nylon buffer is just waiting to launch for parts unknown...and you're looking at around $10 for replacement and shipping

Elliottsdad

Had a Buckmark, kind of miss it. It was a sexy rimfire pistol. Nice grip angle, pointed effortlessly; super comfortable grip.