New Browning X Bolt Max Long Range Issue

onlybrowning

Got a new X Bolt Max Long Range .308 set up and ready to sight in today. I was shooting factory loaded Nosler 165gr Accubonds.

The first one was a tiny bit stiff to load, but nothing that I felt concerned about. Shot it, ejected it, all was ok. Brass looked good, etc. I’ve shot tons of these over the years in several other rifles and they’ve been great.

Second round chambered smooth and easy. The issue came with extraction. The bolt lifted easy, but I could not get the empty case to pull out with the bolt. Eventually, after some more determined pulling, the bolt came back, leaving the empty case in the chamber.

I’ve never had that happen before. I tapped the case out easy enough with a range rod and small hammer.

Decided to clean the chamber just to be sure that wasn’t an issue (I had cleaned the gun thoroughly from new).

Tried another round, and the same thing happened.

Anyone have any insight? Brass measures ok, and like I said, I’ve used these cartridges in several other Browning rifles with excellent results.

Also, the brass looks great overall after coming out, except there is one spot where you can see the plunger made a mark on the case head.

chambering the fired brass casing netted the same result. Had to use a rod to tap it out. Was able to tap it out by hand, but could not pull it out with the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ligonierbill

Most likely, something is wrong with the chamber on your new rifle. Contact the manufacturer before you do anything else. If you try to correct it yourself, they will try to get off the hook.

stagpanther

I wouldn't bother firing another cartridge--brand new x-bolt rifle having issues with factory ammo simply shouldn't be. They should be tripping over themselves getting it sent back for immediate repair/replacement. Call em up and see what they say.

tangolima

Sending it back is right.

Just curious. How does the brass look after pounding it out.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

44 AMP

Staff
The factory ammo is a known quality, and has been tested in another rifle, right??

Fired cases don't get extracted. Fired case rechambered fails to extract. Right now, my money would be on an extractor issue.

There is one more test to do, chamber a live round and don't fire it, see if it gets extracted.

The rifle is brand new. Sounds like there is damage, or possibly things are sticking that shouldn't be sticking.

Check the extractor, look for any obvious damage, and see if it is free to move, same for the ejector.

The rifle is new, and under warranty, right? So, don't DO ANYTHING to the rifle or its parts. Call the maker, and let them figure it it out and fix it.

The rifle worked properly ONCE, and then didn't. They need to fix it, and pay all the costs involved. Even if it looks like something simple and you can handle the fix, DON'T~!!! It's under warranty, its their responsibility.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

(some additional thoughts, to consider, when you cleaned the rifle, did you clean out the bolt as well?? Are you shooting outside in a cold Saratoga winter?? Is it possible some "preservative" oil, got thick in the cold and made things stick?? I don't think its likely, but its a point worth ruling out, before sending the rifle back. Good Luck!!)

onlybrowning

Thanks for the replies everyone, and my apologies for the delay in getting back to this. I called Browning this morning, as it’s the first day they’ve been open since I experienced the issue.

The gentleman on the phone wasn’t able to offer much insight, other than to send it back. He did ask if I was sure I had thoroughly cleaned the chamber during our discussion.

I replied that I had, asked some more questions and thanked him for his time.

I decided just to be sure the “already clean” chamber was clean. I put the gun in my vise and took to being sure the chamber was really, in fact, clean.

Once I was satisfied that it was, I decided to try another factory .308 cartridge I had on hand. This was a Remington Core Lokt 150gr.

I noticed immediately that the bolt was easier to close. I fired the cartridge, and it extracted with no issue at all.

I then tried the Nosler again. Guess what? A tiny bit less smooth, but not terrible. I grabbed another, and it fired and extracted smooth as silk.

I’m a bit ashamed to admit the chamber must not have been clean, despite my initial efforts. I guess my embarrassment is better than sending the rifle back to be fixed only to find out it needed to be cleaned.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: