New Browning Buck Mark Hunter! Best Way to Zero Sights?

CortJestir

Hey all:

I picked up a new Browning Buck Mark Hunter for some fun at the range. So far, it's been a great gun. Feels natural in the hand and is fun to shoot! However, I think I need to zero the sights. The groupings are all together, but they are all a little left of where I aim. This doesn't seem to happen with my Sig P226 which is so accurate it's scary, so I don't think it's me, although it could be...

This model comes with adjustable rear sights for windage and elevation and they look pretty easy to adjust. I've read the manual and have a good idea of the actual mechanics but: What is the best process for zeroing sights in general? Is there a good how-to guide for noobs like myself?

Oh, and I know - new gun = must post photo. Here's a pic :D

Thanks all,
CJ

attachment.php

JohnKSa

Administrator
Find a clear point of aim, aim at it and shoot at least 3 shots.

Adjust the rear sight to move your point of impact (center of the 3 shot group) to the point of aim. Move the rear sight in the direction that you want the group to move.

If you can't get a well defined group with 3 shots then you need to shoot from a rest. The easiest way to do that is to grip the gun with both hands and rest your hands on something steady while you shoot.

That should give you a nice group.

imp

Make sure when you shoot that the pistol and target are approx. at the same level and squared up. It may not seem important, but if your taget is at a different elevation or a weird angle, your eyes can play tricks and affect where the bullet hits. If you adjust your sights to an angle, it won't be accurate on a straight forward shot.

LanceOregon

I got an optical sight and installed it on my Buckmark, and it sure makes shooting easy on my older eyes. I no longer have to strain trying to keep everything in focus.

Although I am now looking into getting a scope mounted on it. I may well go for something with just 2x magnification. Just enough to give a little edge, but not so much that it would be difficult to still shoot freehand.

Many shooting ranges have sandbags available, so check and see if your range does too. Then just make a nice pile of the bags, and rest your gun in them while you sight in.

Here is my hunting Buckmark that I bought a few years ago:

bmark3.jpg

They are really great guns for having fun with. And nearby varmints are in great mortal danger!!

CortJestir

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Very helpful info. I hadn't even thought about squaring and leveling the pistol with the target. Seems like common sense now that it's been brought up! Any recommendations on distance? I assume I should zero at whatever distance I normally shoot at, but is there a generally accepted distance that folks use? Like a standard?

Lance, that's a beaut! Looks all business. Nice photo too. What kind of red dot are you using?

LanceOregon

Actually, that optical sight is just a cheap BSA. I think I only paid $45 for it. But it sure beats using iron sights. You can choose from 4 different reticules that are available in it.

But I think that I am going to get a scope for my Buckmark soon, once I figure out which model to get. Perhaps I should start a thread asking for advice on that for myself.

For sighting in, you could start at either 15 or 25 yards, whichever you are comfortable with. You probably want to zero it for 25 yards. If your range has a 50 yard option, be sure to give that a try too, just to see what you and the gun can do together.

Some small animals are pretty dumb at times, and will let you get into 25 or 15 yards of them rather easily. A lot depends on whether there has been much hunting pressure on the animals in the area. If so, then you will usually find just more wary animals, as all of the unwary ones have been thinned out of the gene pool.