New Bodyguard 38 - first impressions

KyJim

I walked into Buds Gunshop to look for a rifle case. I walked out with a new SW Bodyguard 38.

As most of you all probably know, this is a .38 spl revolver rated to shoot +P ammo and is DAO. Smith recommends test firing ammo to make sure the bullets aren't waling out of their cases due to recoil.

This revolver has an aluminum alloy upper frame and polymer lower frame. The cylinder latch is up top near where the hammer is typically found. It includes a built-in laser sight system along with standard fixed sights (a sighting groove and front, ramped sight).

MSRP is $625 but Bud's had it for $489. That's a pretty good price for a revolver with laser sight so I decided to spring for it. I tried the triggers out on a couple they had in the back. They were pretty close. The trigger is as as good as any of the "newer" J-frames I've tried. Heavier than my personal preference but acceptable. There was just a bit of grittiness. Just dry firing a couple of dozen times seems to have smoothed it out quite a bit. It is DAO.

The laser is bright and illuminates the length of my house on the inside. Outside, the bright sun kept meaningful sighting to maybe 5 to 7 yards. I usually shoot defensive guns point of aim/point of impact (or dead-on) The laser is higher. It looks like it is set to hit where you would aim using a six o-clock hold. I won't know for sure until I get to the range.

Subjectively, the gun felt a bit lighter than my alloy Model 637 but just a bit heavier than my Model 38 Airweight (Bodyguard). Not enough to write home about in either direction.

I tried the BG in a some holsters I had on hand. Since I plan to pocket cary it, I tried it in my DeSantis Nemesis. It fit great and will find a home there. Grips are slimmer but longer than those on my 637. They seem to conceal fine when I tried it in my pocket holster.

I also tried it on a Galco Speedmaster, an OWB holster without a retention strap. I also tried it in a no-name IWB clip-on holster I picked up at a gunshow once. The BG is actually just a tad thicker than my other J-frames. It fit but was tighter than either my 637, 38, or my Model 60. This is worth consideration if you want to share holsters with different J-frames. The BG may stretch out a holster just enough that it won't keep your other J-frames secure without a retention strap or other retention device.

Oh yes, no visible hole in the side of the frame. You may think the gun is ugly, but it won't be because of a hole in the side.

Overall, I think SW has a good revolver at a good price. The proof is in the shooting, however. I hope to be able to check that out romorrow.

Cajun Ken

I've put about 200 rds thru mine and I'm very happy with it. I'm anxious to find some of the new Federal Hydra Shock 110 Gr Low Recoil, self defense ammo. If it tames the recoil a little bit it will be a great gun for my wife ( We are in our 70's ).

KyJim

If it shoots okay, I'll probably end up using Speer Gold Dot +P ammo. I've also got a small stash of of Remington 158 gr. +P ammo I'm going to try just to check for bullet setback.

p99guy

Its odd they named it bodyguard..then make it DAO (Bodyguards, as opposed to centinels have allways been DA/SA with a hammer shroud) Should have named it a Centinel polymer or some such

KyJim

I agree. The new Bodyguard isn't like my old, Model 38 Bodyguard. I guess the name makes for good marketing.

KyJim

I got it to the range and put about 60 rounds through it just to begin getting familiar with it. I had one failure to ignite on a CCI Blazer 158 gr. cartridge (aluminum case). I was staging the trigger. I am thinking the combination of the hard CCI primer and staging the trigger caused the failure.

I shot a combination of the Blazer and some 130 gr. Remington Green Box (without incident). I also fired a few of my intended carry load, the 135 gr. Speer Gold Dot +P.

Finally, I also put a few rounds of the "FBI load" through it -- 158 gr. +p Remington Lead Hollow Points. Recoil was significantly stouter than with the Gold Dots. I checked the last bullet and it appears the bullet was trying to creep out of the case just a bit. In other words, the recoil was sufficiently severe to cause a potential problem. SW had warned in the manual this was possible. I would strongly recommend anyone shooting +P ammo in these light weight revolvers to check this, especially with medium or heavy bullets.

I shot it fairly poorly. Most of the shots were on paper (8.5 inch by 11 inch) but I was shooting left. I had not been shooting my revolvers much lately. I think I've gotten too used to those 1911s. :) With a little practice, I'm sure I'll be able to shoot it better.

Casimer

Having handled it, do you see any potential for tripping the cylinder release when drawing? I haven't even seen one of these up close yet, but it's something I've wondered about based on the design.

QuarterHorse

If it caught the cylinder release, it would be pulling the opposite way to open it. You have to pull the cylinder release back. If it did catch on the draw, the pocket would be dragging it forward.

I've been eyeballing one of these real bad.

Buckeye!

I purchased a 638 from Buds a month or so ago..my buddy liked better than me and i traded for his Glock 19 +$$ sold the G19 ordered a G23...
But that was a sweet little snubbie...

KyJim

Having handled it, do you see any potential for tripping the cylinder release when drawing?
No, as Quarterhorse mentioned, the release opens in the opposite direction. I tried in my DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster several times and it drew very smoothly. There was also no problem in drawing from a waistband holster.

mag318

I bought both the new Bodyguards last month and have been very impressed by both of them. The Bodyguard 38 I find to be very comfortable during extended range sessions even with +P loads. Most J frames are unpleasant to shoot with hot loads, but the polymer framed Bodyguard handles the recoil well. My first range session I went thru over 200 rounds quitting when I ran out. The frame design allows you to grip the gun higher and the flexing quality of the polymer soaks up recoil. S&W did a great job designing this new revolver and I predict it will be very popular.

Attachments

• DSC09205.jpg
    DSC09205.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 44

Cajun Ken

On my BG 38, you push the cylinder release forward, so it is possible to activate it as you draw the gun, but using an Uncle Mikes #4, the release doesn't touch the holster nor my pocket as I draw it, so I would say it's highly unlikely to accidently release the cylinder.