New Beretta on the way!!!

kst8fan

Ordered a new Beretta 92a1 from my local gun shop. I have been looking to replace the plastic guide rod with a steel one when I get the gun but can't find one anywhere. Guiderod.com is a machine shop out of Texas that can custom make one for $40.00. As far as Midway USA, Brownells, etc. I can't find one anywhere. Im sure the plastic guide rod would perform fine, just not a fan of plastic. Also does anyone know if the trigger on the 92a1 is plastic or metal? Thanks

speedfreeq

Just shot my buddy's new 92 model last weekend, and I'm sorry to report that the trigger is indeed plastic. It appears to be very similar (if not the same as) the one in my PX4.
Plastic it may be, but it still feels nice and works just fine. Makes Beretta go BANG!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AustinTX

Congrats on a great gun!

Wolff sells great steel guide rods for the 92/96 for $25.

The trigger is said to be polymer-coated steel, but I haven't seen one cut open to expose the metal. Your finger will touch plastic.

ShipWreck

That steel one you talked about is the only option you have, for a captive unit. Otherwise, you can buy that O ring separately from Brownells (if it is in stock), and then just use a standard metal 92Fs guiderod - but it won't be captive, and you'll have to be careful everytime you remove it (so the o ring doesn't go flying)...

ShipWreck

And here is a gratuitous 92A1 photo :)

92a1-02.jpg

riverwalker76

Wolff Gunsprings and Sprinco both have the guide rods you are looking for. I would recommend getting a Sprinco Recoil Reduction system and Wolff Trigger conversion unit and you will have a tac driving pistol.

The 92A1 Trigger is a ceramic coated steel. Not to be mistaken with the US GI All Steel trigger.

MidwestRookie

I would recommend getting a Sprinco Recoil Reduction system

absolutely pointless and unnecessary..just say no, kst8fan.

bedair is your best bet for a guide rod. I have one of his guide rods on my Elite II and it's a beauty...serves no purpose other than looks. I ordered the checkered end..

Cheapshooter

The trigger on a 92fs is metal of some sort.

I did some research when I bought my 92fs, and found on them the US made models have the plastic guide rod, and trigger while the Italian ones were metal.
Mine is a US made one, but I really haven't had a problem with the plastic parts. It feels, shoots, and operates just great!

riverwalker76

MidwestRookie said:
absolutely pointless and unnecessary..just say no

I doubt it! The Sprinco recoil reduction system on my M9 has the same felt recoil as a 22 Mag.! Faster follow up shots shaved 2 seconds off of my time! ;)

ShipWreck

I did some research when I bought my 92fs, and found on them the US made models have the plastic guide rod, and trigger while the Italian ones were metal.
Mine is a US made one, but I really haven't had a problem with the plastic parts. It feels, shoots, and operates just great!

Not true - all have plastic guiderods and polymer covered triggers. Trust me, I have 8 of them, I know.

Personally, I find it a non issue.

ShipWreck

What is the Beretta 90-TWO?

90-Two - Commonly known as the "90-Dash-Two" or "The Dash." This is a redesigned version of the 92FS that came out in 2006. The slide and frame were redesigned. The guiderod is captured, and there is a recoil buffer built into the frame. It also has a front, dovetailed sight. Several of the small parts are totally different from the standard 92 design (hammer, mag release, trigger bar, slide safety switches).

The biggest difference is the grip. While the gun is not polymer, it does come with a polymer, slip on grip. This gun will be in limited production for 2011 (so get one now if you want one). There is hardly any aftermarket support, and the lack of aftermarket grips is really hurting sales. These are ONLY made in Italy. Available in 9mm and 40 cal. The gun comes with factory 17 round mags (in 9mm)

(I personally do not like the polymer grip - too slippery. I tried several solutions to this issue, but found none worthwhile)

92A1 - Newest release of the 92 - Released in the summer of 2010. This design takes some of the best aspects of the 90-Two... The rail, internal recoil buffer and dovetailed front sight (all great changes), and puts it into a more "normal" 92 frame. The 92A1 (and 96A1) will use standard Beretta 92 grips. The trigger guard is curved; however, like that of the 90-Two. The guiderod is also captured (which is a pro or con, depending on who you ask).

In addition - the slide is a little bit beefier than a standard 92 slide.

The gun is available in 9mm and 40 cal (the 96A1), and the 9mm version comes with THREE 17 round factory mags (the same mags that come with the 90-Two). These guns are only made in Italy.

This is a such better choice to the 90-TWO, IMHO. Also, the 92A1 balances the best in a 1 handed grip out of any of the railed models. I also personally find the 92A1 is my second fav Beretta 92 variant - right behind the standard 92FS (which balances the best 1 handed, IMHO).

There is also finally aftermarket night sights for the 92A1 from Trijicon now. And, while others may disagree - I personally like the regular front and rear strap serrations over the checkering on the M9A1. The checkering is rather shallow - so its not nearly as grippy as checkering on a 1911. I think the standard serrations on the front and back strap give a better grip. [/quote]

riverwalker76

ShipWreck said:
Not true - all have plastic guiderods and polymer covered triggers. Trust me, I have 8 of them, I know.

Personally, I find it a non issue.

I'm in the same school of thought as you.

However, the only time it WILL become an issue is if you decide to switch out the standard trigger spring for a Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit which greatly reduces the trigger pull. With these units you need the standard US GI trigger than is sold at most surplus parts stores. The Wolff TCU will not work with a standard 92 / M9 Commercial trigger. The groove in the upper 1/3 of the trigger that is inside the frame is not deep enough.

Stressfire

if you decide to switch out the standard trigger spring for a Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit which greatly reduces the trigger pull.

Doesn't work in the newer 92s, at least that's what Wolff says, thus why I have the factory trigger job still....

From Midway USA:
Please note that these units will not function in the latest Beretta 92 or 96 pistols with polymer triggers.

Edit: Forgot to say, congrats on the new 92:D

ShipWreck

However, the only time it WILL become an issue is if you decide to switch out the standard trigger spring for a Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit which greatly reduces the trigger pull. With these units you need the standard US GI trigger than is sold at most surplus parts stores. The Wolff TCU will not work with a standard 92 / M9 Commercial trigger. The groove in the upper 1/3 of the trigger that is inside the frame is not deep enough.

Correct, you must find an old school all metal trigger to make thatw ork.

However, its been discussed before - but there seems to be some variation from unit to unit on those INS triggers.

I installed one with a metal trigger about 2 years ago. I had a D spring in my gun. The INS trigger INCREASED the weight of the trigger - back to pre "D" spring weight. It was noticeable. I ended up taking it out and putting the stock trigger spring back.

Its been reported that factory trigger return springs are made of thicker wire than they were in the 1980s and early 1990s. They do not seem to break as often as they used to, I will say that. But, I still go with the recommended change of every 5k.

I would try the reduced weight INS spring - but reports from some claim they work great - and others say that the trigger feels gritty and/or doesn't return right all the time. Also, sometimes the INS spring will fit into one 92FS, and not in another - through some sort of slight frame variation.

At this point, I don't worry about the INS spring. I have a much greater understanding of the frame and how to change parts now. I just change the trigger spring whenever I change the recoil spring, as preventive maintenance - although, it probably is no longer NECESSARY to do so any more...

kst8fan

Looks like Ill be ordering a guide rod from bedair then. Not sure about the Sprinco recoil reduction system. The gun comes with a recoil buffer built in already, although it is a 9mm so its really not necessary anyway. Picking up the 92A1 tomorrow. Not only is it Friday and payday.....more importantly its NEW BERETTA 92A1 PICK-UP DAY!!!!!!

LockedBreech

GOD, the jealousy.

I decided on a 92-platform for my next gun (first 9mm, and first gun I've purchased myself - not a gift).

I have spent probably hundreds of hours agonizing over the 92A1 vs. the M9A1 while I save the cash.

Amazing guns. 18 rounds of low-recoiling 9 in a bulletproof platform. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Plenty of pics.

insaneranger

All the 92/96 pistols are great quality & will probably outlast you.:D I have a 90-Two/.40 and love it. A lot of guys don't like the looks or grip, but it's perfect for me & a real tack driver. I recently did a full hammer & sear polish and installed a "D" spring. Now it has a very smooth 6 lb DA pull & a 3 lb SA trigger. Sweet!

90-Two
006-12.jpg

Last edited: