New barrel

4runnerman

Just a quick check here. I am going to get another barrel this winter. I have narrowed it down to 6.5. Now the question

6.5 Creedmore
6.5 x 284
Use is Long range shooting. I know both are barrel burners, but that is not a problem.

tobnpr

Not even close comparing them as throat-burners...
The 6.5 Norma holds over 68 grains of water- the 6.5 Creed, only 52.
It's a function of amount of powder burned and bore diameter (which is the same in both).

Actually, long barrel life is one of the attractions (and factory ammo) for the Creedmore. Now, it almost old news- seems the 6 Creedmore is really taking off....

Darn wind

I have been thinking of about a 6.5 and the 6.5 creedmoor class cartridge is what I'm thinking. Just not sure if I want a 6.5 lapua, creedmoor, or 260ai. The reasons are barel life, recoil and even with the 6.5-284 you are going to find your accuracy node around 2850 with the 140 class bullets. Also less powder with the other three is going to save you money. Only a small amount but still...

Some people find a node around 2950 with the 6.5-284 but, barrel life and even more of a factor brass life suffers

As for the 100 fps advantage of 2950 vs 2850 which is about 4" at 1000 yds in a 10mph wind, its really minute for the most part. Yeah it's four inches but, on average even a beginner can see a 5mph change which takes away that 4" advanta.so that makes it only 2 inches and beginners are going to get better and that brings us to the hard part, a 2.5 mph change which is the hard one to judge and then you gain roughly 1" with 2950fps over 2850 . I can agree that two inches and even 1" is enough to gain some points but, from my experience that is only going to be a one to three points per string and you might not even see that. I'd rather have longer barrel life, brass life and even more importantly, easier to control recoil. Managing recoil is the most important, I think. More recoil makes it harder to be consistent. I've lost enough points to shooter induced vertical to lose matches. It sucks looking back thinking I could have won that one so I go for the easiest to control rifle, especially with newer Shooters.

cw308

I'm also looking at 6.5's. Read alot about the Creedmoor, barrel life is about the same as a 308, with a 1-8 twist. The perfect barrel length seems to be 22". A vedio said, that at 600 yards a 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr. bullet will out perform a 300 win mag. in every way, still reading up on it. It looks like for precision shooting 200 - 1000+ with little recoil I'm leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor, won't pull the trigger on this for a few months, only in the reading stage for now. Also looking for any advise.

emcon5

A vedio said, that at 600 yards a 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr. bullet will out perform a 300 win mag. in every way, still reading up on it.

Not really, the heavier 300 mag bullets are a little better in the wind than the 6.5s, but at the cost of harder recoil and more powder burned.

Don't leave out the 6.5-06 either. Yeah, it is a wildcat, but barely so. All bullet and powder manufacturers list load data, dies are available off the shelf, and brass can be made by neck sizing 25-06 with no other work involved.

It is the ballistic equal to 6.5-284 (a little better actually, more case capacity) but you have to use a long action. You may find you need a long action with the 6.5-284 as well, to get room to seat the long heavy target bullets (I have heard reports of the same problem with the 260). If you have a short action, the Creedmoor is what you want.

Yeah, barrel life is not great. If I had to do it over again, I would build a Creedmoor. You lose ~300 FPS, but gain probably double the barrel life.

Do you have long or short action? Isnt 6.5-284 a long action cartridge?
Short actions have an advantage, however small, so my vote is 6.5 Creed.
As for barrel length, you will gain a little speed (less drop/wind adjustment) with a longer barrel vs a shorter 22" barrel. My Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creed is 26" with 1" diameter...