New AR - What to expect?

BumbleBug

I just finished assembling my first AR. I built the lower with a PSA receiver & PSA parts kit. I wanted to build the upper from parts but found it was cheaper to buy the whole upper (I'm sure I'll be messin' with it later! - LOL). So on another PSA special & I got a PTAC upper (16" - 1/7" - melonite - floating handguard). For now at least, this is just a learning & fun shooting project.

I've learned a lot so far about the AR as well as a little something about the folks that shoot them. I went to Walmart & bought a 20 round box of Win 55gr FMJ "target" ammo. I know this is not ideal for this twist. This is the first box of factory ammo that I have bought in many years because I'm a dyed-in-the-wool handloader.

I got the factory ammo to perform the first function testing. I intend to break in this barrel & eventually develop a good 60gr+ handload. What should I expect? Should it bang away shucking brass without a hitch? Should it hang-up a few times until its broken in? Does it need a hundred rounds or more to break in? Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences are most appreciated.

TIA...

...bug:confused:

NCummins

I shoot 55 grain out of my 1:7 16" with no problems. I've only shot it at 100 yards with that ammo but it groups 1 1/2" with it. I get better groups with 62 grain stuff.
As far as break in I would say just don't get it to hot yet? Other than that just go blow some lead man. Have fun.

Justice06RR

Just Keep shooting it. Use good ammo (brass) as much as possible and keep the rifle well lubed, particularly the BCG (bolt carrier group).

You might experience a few hang-ups. Things like, FTF's, FTE's, etc but nothing out of the norm. Once the rifle has a few hundred rounds and has not malfunctioned, then you're good to go.

My suggestion to anyone new to AR's:
- Always use good magazines (Pmags, GI, etc)
- Always use good ammo, preferably factory brass. If you reload, then develop a good load that you prefer that is consistent with the rifle's specs.
- Keep the rifle lubed generously.

Those 3 things should keep your rifle running thousands of rounds.

Happy shooting!

SVTCobra306

If everything is right, it should feed and eject without issues.. I just got done building the wife's PSA upper/lower with a RRA barrel, I hand assembled all of it and it has about 120 rounds through it last weekend with zero failures. I did end up doing just a bit of fine tuning of the timing (added an H buffer, pretty common on a midlength), but otherwise everything worked fine from the first round. If it's having failures to feed, you might need to look at how tight your magazine catch is, it shouldn't have a lot of play. The more you screw it in, the higher the magazine rests in the lower when it is installed, if it's too loose, it will ride too low and have feeding issues.

Depending what kind of barrel you have, you might want to do a barrel break-in, but if it's chrome lined, go ahead and shoot away. Don't get it really hot, but you don't have to do any one shot and clean method with it.

Mobuck

Out of 25 or so new and used AR's that have passed through my hands in the past few years, the only ones that didn't function were oddball configurations or mismatched gas systems or misaligned parts. It's not that hard to have an AR work correctly.

Ibmikey

Just shoot it, you have an entry level barrel (PTAC) so don't expect the tiniest of groups, but then some of the PTAC reviews suggest they work great. Shoot it and be happy with the result or if necessary better barrels are available and easily changed. Keep us informed on your shooting experiences with this upper. Also, PSA has ammo deals that are a lot better than Wallymart...and as previously indicated, oil the BCG and use brass ammo. Brass vs steel is a quite overworked topic of it's own.

Brotherbadger

What to expect with your new AR?

FUN. lots of FUN. :D

When i first shot my home assembled AR, i had a grin on my face for almost 2 hours. Honestly, you shouldn't expect any hitches when shooting. Just go out there and have fun.