New AR Build Caliber

Which caliber for a new AR Build to hunt and punch paper?

• 223 Wylde

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 22 Nosler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6MM ARC

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • 300 HAM'R

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

USAF Ret

I am going to start putting together everything for my first AR build. I have some pretty hefty military discounts on components and I can reload, so I figured it is something fun to do and build a good quality rifle from the ground up. This would be a hunting/paper puncher. Deer, hogs and varmints. I would like folks input on the caliber. (Note, in NC you can hunt with a 22 centerfire)

223 Wylde
22 Nosler
6mm ARC
6.8 SPC
300 HAM'R

I already have a Grendel and 300 BO.

stagpanther

That's a tough one--you're basically asking "which one does it all and is a good first time build.";) Of the selections you've made, I'd go with the 6.8spc--besides being up to the task for dropping larger game--it is one of the best case designs for AR's IMO that just cycles very well--high reliability.

USAF Ret

That's a tough one--you're basically asking "which one does it all and is a good first time build.";) Of the selections you've made, I'd go with the 6.8spc--besides being up to the task for dropping larger game--it is one of the best case designs for AR's IMO that just cycles very well--high reliability.
Now that is the kind of reply that has some meat to it. Thanks Stag. My first build and Shadow9mm is helping me along. I get some pretty big discounts on some good stuff, so I want to be thoughtful and meticulous.

Shadow9mm

223 Wylde is basically a match grade 5.56/223. you can fire both in it. its supposed to be more accurate than 5.56 but not quite as good as 223. IMHO it all depends on how good the barrel is.
22 nosle'r I don't know much about
6mm arc was also designed specifically for the ar platform. has a lot of potential as a target and hunting cartridge. supersonic out to 1200yds with a 103g bullet. only issue at the moment is brass. but for a reloader you can make it from a couple different parent casings so to speak. its identical to 243win in bullet diameter, but you give up 400ish fps, but get much more aerodynamic bullets.
6.8spc, I dont know much about this one either.
300ham'r is interesting, but much of a target cartridge IMHO. as I understand it, it was developed by wilson combat. The idea was to create a load that mimicked 30-30 in the ar platform. They did this by taking 300 blackout and pushing out the shoulder to get more powder in the case and making it a supersonic cartridge only. It is still very proprietary.

Last edited:

USAF Ret

223 Wylde is basically a match grade 5.56/223. you can fire both in it. its supposed to be more accurate than 5.56 but not quite as good as 223. IMHO it all depends on how good the barrel is.
22 nosle'r I don't know much about
6mm arc was also designed specifically for the ar platform. has a lot of potential as a target and hunting cartridge. supersonic out to 1200yds with a 110g bullet. only issue at the moment is brass. but for a reloader you can make it from a couple different parent casings so to speak. its identical to 243win in bullet diameter, but you give up 400ish fps, but get much more aerodynamic bullets.
6.8spc, I dont know much about this one either. However my basic understanding was that this was more of a defensive cartridge than a target/precision cartridge.
300ham'r is interesting, but much of a target cartridge IMHO. as I understand it, it was developed by wilson combat. The idea was to create a load that mimicked 30-30 in the ar platform. They did this by taking 300 blackout and pushing out the shoulder to get more powder in the case and making it a supersonic cartridge only. It is still very proprietary.
Thanks Jon. Very good info.

tangolima

AR-10. .243 win is what I'm getting. It is 6mm. Really going with 24" barrel.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GeauxTide

I have a 300 HAM'R with a 1x4 Leupold Hog Plex. 1/2" shooter with 135 FTX @2400. 7# with sling. Starline makes brass, so it's mainstream. 30-30 stroke in 16"? I'll take it.

taylorce1

What's your goal with the rifle? Do you want to hunt with an AR or is it just to shoot at the range? If you're just going to shoot at the range then it's hard to beat the economy of 5.56/.223/Wylde.

Now if hunting is on the menu any of the others would work. I'd probably stay away from the Nosler and maybe look toward the Valkyrie, for better twist rate and bullet versatility over the Nosler. I think the 6mm ARC would be the easiest plug and play deer hunting cartridge next to the 6.5 Grendel in an AR-15 platform.

If you're looking for the best balance of power, trajectory, and big game use. I'd look at Mad Dog Weapons Systems wildcat .358 Yeti. Made from shortened .308 brass, and capable of pushing a 200 grain FTX at 2500 fps. It would definitely be elk and moose capable to 350+ yards. My buddy has one, and I've definitely been impressed by it.

USAF Ret

What's your goal with the rifle? Do you want to hunt with an AR or is it just to shoot at the range? If you're just going to shoot at the range then it's hard to beat the economy of 5.56/.223/Wylde.

Now if hunting is on the menu any of the others would work. I'd probably stay away from the Nosler and maybe look toward the Valkyrie, for better twist rate and bullet versatility over the Nosler. I think the 6mm ARC would be the easiest plug and play deer hunting cartridge next to the 6.5 Grendel in an AR-15 platform.

If you're looking for the best balance of power, trajectory, and big game use. I'd look at Mad Dog Weapons Systems wildcat .358 Yeti. Made from shortened .308 brass, and capable of pushing a 200 grain FTX at 2500 fps. It would definitely be elk and moose capable to 350+ yards. My buddy has one, and I've definitely been impressed by it.
Chad, looking at hunting and a shooter. Only concern with the Arc is brass. I have looked at folks forming 6.5 Grendel, but don't want to get into annealing.

USAF Ret

I did this poll on a couple of sites and the 6mm ARC is blowing it all out of the water. Going to give it a few more days for input. I can get a Proof Research barrel at a pretty big discount through ExpertVoice and an 18 inch 6mm ARC is available.

ocharry

i would say ...consider the 6.5 Grendel....i have read a tag line that says " 6.5 grendel, hunting round with target capability...6 arc, target round with hunting capability"

i built a grendel last year and it hits the steel pretty hard at 200..and the trajectory with a 120-123 bullet is really close to a 308 with a 168gr bullet out to 800yrd....not dead on but real close...close enough for steel work.. if you change or have dope for 308 you would be on target

and i just put this group on the table with a good 105 yote bullet i believe

both groups are 5 shots..well i see that didnt work..lol..try the links

and this one with a 120 deer bullet i believe

brass is hard to get but so is the arc brass....bullets from what i see around here pretty available

just my thoughts and .02

ocharry

Attachments

• 20230305_132329.jpg
    20230305_132329.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230305_132322.jpg
    20230305_132322.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

stagpanther

I did this poll on a couple of sites and the 6mm ARC is blowing it all out of the water. Going to give it a few more days for input. I can get a Proof Research barrel at a pretty big discount through ExpertVoice and an 18 inch 6mm ARC is available.
A good choice--though when/if you start reaching out to 1000 yds a 20 to 22 inch barrel would have helped. :)

USAF Ret

A good choice--though when/if you start reaching out to 1000 yds a 20 to 22 inch barrel would have helped. :)
Thanks Stag. I can get the Proof Research barrel with the carbon fiver in 20". It's a good deal I get, but still very expensive. Debating a budget build or going all out.

USAF Ret

i would say ...consider the 6.5 Grendel....i have read a tag line that says " 6.5 grendel, hunting round with target capability...6 ark, target round with hunting capability"

i built a grendel last year and it hits the steel pretty hard at 200..and the trajectory with a 120-123 bullet is really close to a 308 with a 168gr bullet out to 800yrd....not dead on but real close...close enough for steel work.. if you change or have dope for 308 you would be on target

and i just put this group on the table with a good 105 yote bullet i believe

both groups are 5 shots..well i see that didnt work..lol..try the links

and this one with a 120 deer bullet i believe

brass is hard to get but so is the ark brass....bullets from what i see around here pretty available

just my thoughts and .02

ocharry
Thanks. I already have a 6.5 Grendel I had built by my gunsmith.

ocharry

hmmm...yeah i see that now that i went to the first post and reread it

since you already have a grendel...then i think you have a couple of your choices covered...the 6 arc and the 6.8spc...i could be wrong, but i think you would not gain much if anything by building either of these.. the grendel has them both covered ballisticaly ... unless you just want one or the other...now that is a whole nother cat right there

maybe something outside the box..lol... that 358 yeti sounds interesting..well itis different anyway

ok gents.. carry on..i will go back to reading

ocharry

USAF Ret

hmmm...yeah i see that now that i went to the first post and reread it

since you already have a grendel...then i think you have a couple of your choices covered...the 6 arc and the 6.8spc...i could be wrong, but i think you would not gain much if anything by building either of these.. the grendel has them both covered ballisticaly ... unless you just want one or the other...now that is a whole nother cat right there

maybe something outside the box..lol... that 358 yeti sounds interesting..well itis different anyway

ok gents.. carry on..i will go back to reading

ocharry
I am with you. I love my Grendel.

Actually, I am just building an AR for the first time. So, I was bouncing around calibers.