New AR build, brands to stay away from.

PushPuller

Hey all! Iv decided to to build a new AR and started looking around at parts last night across the web. Its been 10 years since my last AR build and it appears as though some things have changed. There are also a lot of newer brands that appear to be quality but I know nothing about.

So in short, what brands do you suggest I stay away from mainly regarding upper/lower receivers, and barrel.

stagpanther

First rule of thumb--beware of internet gun forum advice.:D

Barrels are always a bit of a crap shoot no matter who you get them from, important thing is get one from an outfit that's willing to stand behind them. That's not necessarily a function of the price. That super discount on-line place operating out of a trailer in the middle of the desert may simply tell you to drop dead and go hassle some other manufacturer if there's a problem that arises.

I've personally mixed and matched uppers and lowers of many manufacturers, but I've found the over-all best balance in terms of price, precision fit of upper to lower and fitting of a barrel and handguard it's worth it to buy a matched set of Aero Precision receivers. They usually put a "builder's set" on sale periodically, though I tend to batch purchase them to avoid the hassle of multiple FFL transfers.

imashooter

I have Colt, PSA, DPMS, hybrids, and assorted barrels, parts, etc. GTG all. Years ago there were 2 who had consistently bad reviews / opinions from owners. One was a manufacturer's product (guns & rcvrs) and one was terrible service regarding shipping, etc. Never see either name mentioned these days and can't recall their name. I believe you're gtg with about all "name brand" guns regardless of "tier". Parts kits can be iffy but if you stick with about any reputable retailer you should be fine.

rickyrick

While I have no problem with PSA products, I did have some serious financial issues with PSA. I don’t want to steer anyone away from them anymore, (my issues were about 5 years ago) they did employ some criminals in their past, probably unwittingly.

Anderson is a mixed bag of quality. I have a few good examples of ARs that contain Anderson parts. The barrels and receivers are good. The worst from Anderson is the LPKs.

I had a BCG assembly from DSA that the ejector roll pin walked out of during firing.

I’d say the familiar brands are good to go. I’ve seen mixed reports from some of what I call “pre-assemblers” — companies that throw together parts and sell rifles under a trendy name.

scoobysnacker

I'm a rookie to the AR platform.

I picked up some budget-tier stuff, and have no problems with any of them as of now.
A couple of Radical Firearms complete rifles, both run great without any complaint from me.
I have a pair of uppers from Bear Creek Arsenal, and outside of a bad extractor on one (which they sent a replacement), both are fine.
2 lowers, both good so far- a rifle from Karri's Guns, and a pistol from Palmetto State Armory. As of now, both are good to go.

My criteria is- these are all basic, no-frills, inexpensive, and will go out and work just fine in the act of putting any ammo (including steel-cased) downrange and onto paper.

I am NOT clamping these into a gun vise, and trying to see if I have sub-1" groups at any type of distance.

HiBC

It takes significant capital investment to make quality parts on a competitive level.

There are not that many outfits actually producing parts.
Many "Name Brand" AR labels have a marketing dept,a purchasing dept,an assembly dept,and a shipping/receiving dept. The whole staff might be six people at " Orc Bane Arms" and they may not make a single part.

If they only buy the best of parts and if they assemble with care using proper tools and techniques,they might make good guns. Its hard to say.
Or they might buy mystery parts from the global market.Maybe a subsidiary of Harbor Freight. Parts,even good parts,may be farmed out anywhere in the world. The "Operators Choice Armament Co" might be using Philippine or Korean parts,and they might be very good parts.

I'm satisfied Aero makes good stuff at reasonable prices. I'd start there.

Depending on what I was building,I might consider barrels from Daniel Defense,Aero, Criterion,White Oak,Krieger,Wilson......in no particular order.And there are other good barrels.

Last edited:

PushPuller

Thanks for the input everyone! went to the LGS and they had a 17 Design Manufacturing billet lower (a brand iv never heard of) that honestly looked as good as anything else in the case, and seems to have good reviews online so I went ahead and picked it up. They wouldn't let me play matchmaker with their uppers, but Ill probably just go with Aero since their is a clear abundance of them and they seem to about the best bang for the buck.

HiBC

I know nothing of 17 design. Likely you will be fine.

My preference is a forged 7075 lower and upper. I prefer the anti-wear characteristics of black hard anodizing.

But different strokes,different folks.

I hope ammo becomes cheap and available enough we actually have to worry about wearing one out.

603Country

I bought a Black Rain Ordnance (BRO). Nice rifle, but the accuracy was wanting. I called the CEO and discussed it, and he said it met milspec. Well, I reckon it did, but that was not good enough to suit me, so I replaced the barrel with a match grade Seekins. Shoots great now. I like it. Comes in colors too…

O4L

Thanks for the input everyone! went to the LGS and they had a 17 Design Manufacturing billet lower (a brand iv never heard of) that honestly looked as good as anything else in the case, and seems to have good reviews online so I went ahead and picked it up. They wouldn't let me play matchmaker with their uppers, but Ill probably just go with Aero since their is a clear abundance of them and they seem to about the best bang for the buck.
I know 17 Design. They are manufactured in OKC. I have met the owner and toured the facility. They are good people and make a quality product.

Most of their products are sold at Brownell's and some at Primary Arms. I have some of their forged lowers but I have yet to do a build with any of them.

I know several people that have used their forged, billet, and folding billet lowers and they are all pleased with them.

They are trying to get there billet matching uppers, which I have seen and held, on the market so if you are in no hurry you might be able to get one before too long.

HWS

1. Stay away from Gucci companies, many things are not mil spec.
2. Make everyone swear their components are mil spec.
3. Find mil spec companies such as Del Ton and Brownells that have an actual printed catalog.

Holding a catalog in your hand and thinking about things really aids in future planning.

Bruce Lee said: "Just enough is enough". Mil spec is enough.

imashooter

Hey all! Iv decided to to build a new AR and started looking around at parts last night across the web. Its been 10 years since my last AR build and it appears as though some things have changed. There are also a lot of newer brands that appear to be quality but I know nothing about.

So in short, what brands do you suggest I stay away from mainly regarding upper/lower receivers, and barrel.
It might be easier if you posted guns / parts of interests and let them get scrubbed here.

44caliberkid

The upper and lower kits they sell have many out of spec parts and the springs are not tempered or made correctly, as in the first time you cock the hammer, the hammer spring stays bent. The front sight tower/ gas block (tapered pin) was mounted off vertical, toward 11 o'clock, so far you couldn't get center impact, even with the rear adjusted all the way to one side. About the only useable parts were the indent pins. This was their $299 complete rifle kit, minus the lower.

jonnyc

I've been very happy with the Anderson, Aero, PSA, and CMMG bits I've used. Also a couple of Radical uppers.

ChasHam

The upper and lower kits they sell have many out of spec parts and the springs are not tempered or made correctly, as in the first time you cock the hammer, the hammer spring stays bent. The front sight tower/ gas block (tapered pin) was mounted off vertical, toward 11 o'clock, so far you couldn't get center impact, even with the rear adjusted all the way to one side. About the only useable parts were the indent pins. This was their $299 complete rifle kit, minus the lower.
That's pretty bad.

Assuming you complained, what did they say/do?

FrankenMauser

I suggest staying away from Bear Creek Arsenal and Columbia River Arms (aka Black Hole Weaponry).
BCA has terrible quality control and sells what I consider sub-standard parts - barrels in particular.
CRA/BHW has better quality control, overall, but lets short-chambered barrels through. If they short-chamber for you, it is going to be a fight to get them to fix the problem. After the sale, their service is deplorable.

Though very popular, PSA sells some pretty hit-and-miss parts in their 'Freedom' line. I won't touch them.

I have had no problems with Aero Precision, DPMS, Midwest Industries, YHM, Young Machine, MEGA, LaRue, Geissele, and many others with good reputations.

Houndog

If you give us a budget and your priorities we can be more helpful.

Unlimited budget and bullet proof reliability? Get a Knights Armament upper and good quality parts kit. (Or a LWRC/LMT).

Small budget and just want something fun to mess around with at the range? Radical Arms upper. Whatever lower parts kit is on sale.

Good value tack driver? LaRue upper (currently on sale for $699).

Reliable mid-tier gun that can do it all? Maybe a Daniel Defense upper. If you're ok with a 10.5" barrel Brownells has an MK18 available for $899, plus $50 off and free shipping with coupon code. However, you will need a bolt carrier group, charging handle and flash hider. A couple of places currently have decent bolt carriers on sale for $120-40. I have this upper (and already had extra bolt, charging handle, etc.) and it is one of my favorite AR's.

But there are a ton of alternatives. Geissele, LaRue, PWS (if you want a piston), BCM, Aeroprecision, SIG, all are GTG.

BTW - I assume you're just going to buy the upper. If you plan on assembling your upper from scratch things get a little more complicated and I'd be leery of putting together stuff from 6 different mfg.'s.