NEW AR BCC group???

I am thinking about getting a new BCC group for my 300 Black Out.
I shoot cast mostly and it is dirty dirty dirty.

1st i was thinking about a piston gas system upgrade.
But I havent found any useful data on that relating to 300 Black out.
So I will put that idea on hold for a while.

Next I am looking at ether a Chrome or Nickel Boron Bolt carrier group.

Not sure what one I want. Pretty sure I know what to expect with Chrome.
Never heard of Nickle plated though.

Any one using these are they easier to keep clean?

Theohazard

I'm not sure what a BCC group is. Are you talking about the BCG (bolt carrier group)? If so, are you looking to upgrade because your current one is too difficult to clean? I've never owned a chromed or nickel-boron BCG, but I have a few friends who do, and they say that they're easier to clean because the fouling doesn't stick as bad. Though keep in mind that the fouling will stand out more because of the color, so it might appear that it's getting dirtier more quickly.

As for piston systems, I'm actually only aware of one 300 BO piston off the top of my head; it's a PWS long-stroke piston. I've never seen a short-stroke piston in 300 BO, and if someone makes one, I still wouldn't recommend it. Short-stroke pistons usually vent hot gas near the gas block, and this makes them louder when suppressed. DI guns (and the PWS long-stroke setup) vent the gas out of the receiver area after it's cooled down dramatically and is therefore quieter.

Yea I meant BCG :)

I think I remember where I saw one Chromed. I would bet Carbon would have a heck of a time sticking too it.

Never have heard of that other stuff though. prices about the same.

FrankenMauser

For information on piston systems and .300 AAC, I suggest reading through the 300blktalk.com forums. You'll find substantially more experience and information there, than here.

As for bolt carriers...
I haven't messed with NP3 or any of the other super special coatings.
I do, however, have a YM National Match BCG that's chromed (as seen here). Most fouling, literally, just wipes right off with a dry rag. Add some CLP, and it's squeaky clean with almost zero effort.

Thanks Buddy. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
I think I will go with the Chrome version. Wiping would sure be better that scrape scrape and scrape until your fingers bleed.

marine6680

Nickel boron is a little harder, has less friction and is less likely to flake off. Maybe it was just a few bad chrome jobs, but I have heard of it happening.

I have owned nickel boron coated BCG, and I liked how well it cleaned up.

From what I have seen nickel boron is considered better.

There are variants of the nickel boron coating as well. One of the more known adds Teflon to the NB coating for even more friction reduction... It tends to hold a premium on price over standard NB.

Ibmikey

Both of my Blackouts use Aim Black Nitride angle cut BCG's...work beautifully and easy to clean. Many of my other AR's use the same cut BCG but Ni Boron and they take a lot if abuse and keep ticking. I use Mobil 1 to keep all of them wet.