New all metal compact 9mm

Lunker

I sold my P7, which was a perfect sized compact 9mm. I am using the money to fund a rifle purchase, but it made me wonder what handgun I will get to replace it.
I want a fairly slim compact all metal (grips excepted, of course) handgun in 9mm. It should be compact, not sub-compact. I don't care if it's single or double-action. Here's the hard part. I am a lefty, so I need at least the safety/decocker (if it has one) to be ambidextrous. I can deal with non-ambi slide lock/releases with my left forefinger as long as they are not back near the safety. The slide release on Sigs doesn't work for me because it's so far to the rear.
I have heard really bad things about the kahr's so I am inclined to stay away from them. I am liking the CZ75 Compact, although I would need a smith to put a lefty decocker/safety on the gun and I am not sure about durability/shootability of alloy instead of steel. What are some of my other options for recent model guns (i.e. I would be OK with a S&W not made any more since I know I can always get parts and service from them).

dogtown tom

Lunker: ...I have heard really bad things about the kahr's so I am inclined to stay away from them...

Are you sure these "really bad things" you heard about Kahr's was on their steel framed models?

The great majority of problem Kahrs is on their .40 caliber models.

I don't think I've seen anyone that had a problem with a K9, T9 or MK9.

Lunker

Hi Tom. The "really bad things" hasn't necessarily been about specific models. There are threads on this site about reliability, good/bad dealings with manufacturers, etc. It seems like Kahr comes up about as often as Taurus. I know that both companies produce some fine guns, but they do seem to have a lot of detractors.

Hi Tom. The "really bad things" hasn't necessarily been about specific models. There are threads on this site about reliability, good/bad dealings with manufacturers, etc. It seems like Kahr comes up about as often as Taurus. I know that both companies produce some fine guns, but they do seem to have a lot of detractors.
You seem to be suffering from a condition called "internet dumbification." This is where you start to be unable to separate fact from fiction on the internet. Like when you start to think all Glocks are going to explode in your hand or all Smith & Wessons with locks will seize up on you.

Kahr pistols are very nice guns. The only true issue they seem to have is when trying to produce guns in .45acp without increasing the overall size of the gun very much. That is a problem that has plagued almost all gun manufacturers. It is why I do not own a Kahr PM45.

Also, like all manufacturers, they has a few issues to resolve with early models...but those have been addressed for years.

You have to start to be able to scrutinize reports you see on the internet. When I did that with kahr I realized all I was seeing was old stories told again and again, people with no real experience retelling the same old stories, and people outright lying because they think the moonies own the brand.

Lunker

Well, the "dumbification" is selective. I own two Glocks, although none in .40S&W (Kaboom) because I don't reload in that caliber. Now I know the internet magnifies the volume of everything, but there is often some underlying truth to the noise. I'm sure that there are a large number of people who have an axe to grind and regularly talk crap about brand X and have little or no experience with it. Many complaints are legitimate though. Will this talk prevent me from owning a Taurus? Combined with the lack of quality in the few that I have shot, yes. Peoples' experience has to count for something. Trying to find positive comments about Kahr (other than from pollyanna gun rag reviews) is a lot harder than finding negative comments. Considering that there are a ton of other makes out there for me to choose from, that is sufficient for me. I don't drink the Kool-Aid, but I don't drink the Hate-Aid either.

Anyway, back to regular programming. Playboy, you have enough personal experience with nice guns in your collection that I'm sure you could make a suggestion or two.

Anyway, back to regular programming. Playboy, you have enough personal experience with nice guns in your collection that I'm sure you could make a suggestion or two.
And I would suggest the Kahr MK9. When I did my research on the Kahr brand I found nothing but noise regarding newer polymer Kahrs and nothing bad about the all steel ones.

comn-cents

I've had 3 kahrs and all have been very reliable. The first all steel one, the extractor broke. Sent kahr the slide and wish I still had it. That was my only problem with all 3. Still have a CW9 that has been flawless.

Lunker

Ok. I am happy to see that there are some Kahr fans. I will take a look at the gun shop. Are they strictly carry pieces, or are they fun (and accurate) to shoot?

hdawson228

Lunker. Kahr firearms are specifically designed for concealment. That doesn't mean they aren't fun at the range. Just understand that there are limitations of a 3 or 3 1/2 inch barrel. They are self defense weapons.:cool:

Checkout the specs at www.kahr.com

Lunker

I got spoiled by my P7M8. I stupidly sold it and never warmed up to its cheaper replacement (P7) the same way. I know that the P7M8 and P7 are supposed to be identical except for the heel release and trigger heat shield (and maybe something else I'm forgetting), but I thought the trigger felt different and I was never able to shoot it as well as the P7M8. As a result, it sat in my safe a lot and I sold it. I can't afford the P7M8 now, so I am looking for alternatives. :(

DBAR

The slide release on Sigs doesn't work for me because it's so far to the rear.

I'm a lefty as well, and the slide stop is a non issue for me. I would rather sling shot the slide with my right hand, keeping a constant grip with my left hand. Works real well for me, but you mileage may vary.

The de cock lever on one of my CZ's in a non issue, and I'm glad there is nother on the right side of the gun. The only time I decock the pistol, is when I put one in the tube. I carry with one in the chamber, either cocked and locked, or in a DA/SA with the hammer down. I know this may not work for you, and I wish you the best of luck looking for the right gun. It's tougher for the left handed shooters of the world. You might take a look at the Glock 26.

I also agree with Playboypenguin.

Good Luck,

DBAR

dgludwig

Look at some of the Smith & Wesson "Third Generation" compact, single column magazine models. True, you'll have to buy used but these all metal pistols have a well-deserved reputation for extreme reliability.

zombieslayer

I LOVE CZ75's, and I have been wanting an all metal compact too. I keep gravitating toward the 75 Compact. Theres a HK usp9 used that looks sweet too.

varoadking

I have heard really bad things about the kahr's so I am inclined to stay away from them.

Their 9mm's are fine - it's the ones that start with a 4 that suck.

I am happy to see that there are some Kahr fans. I will take a look at the gun shop. Are they strictly carry pieces, or are they fun (and accurate) to shoot?

Yes indeed...very accurate and a hoot to shoot...

It should be compact, not sub-compact.

I would suggest the Kahr MK9.

The MK9 is a subcompact. I own one and like it a great deal, but...it's a subcompact.

Give the K9 a look see...it seems to fit your needs very well...