New Ahrends grips

robctwo

New Ahrends retro combat grips. Oil finish. iphone photos.

19-3Ahrends.jpg

19-3

25Classic.jpg

25 Classic

robctwo

Cocobollo on the 19, Moradillo on the 25, both tung oil finish. I requested as dark as possible on the order form. Also got a set of walnut N frame.

Last edited:

Duke City Six

Kim Ahrends and family seem to do some very fine work. I've seen lots of pictures and heard lots of good reviews, but never actually held them.

I almost got some of those retro combats for my model 64, but at the last minute I chose S&W smooth targets because I liked the look. Now I'm thinking that I might want the finger grooves after all, for the fit. If I go that route, I'm pretty sure I'll try Ahrends next. I favor the dark Cocobolo like you have on your model 19.

Also, I like to support small business.

Last edited:

ArkieVol

I have three, so far, from Ahrends and just ordered some bubinga wood round to square conversion retro combat grips for my N frame model 21-4 .44 special to replace the Ahrends round butt grips that came on the gun.

model 19-4 - padauk wood
model19_4in_stampsm.jpg

model 686+ walnut wood
Model686plus_stamp_02sm.jpg

model 21-4 cocobolo ?
mod21-4TR_01.jpg

robctwo

I had a chance to run both guns again today at the range. Shooting steel plates. Had a 19-4 6" along as well with the factory combat grips.
The Ahrends give me so much more control for faster follow up shots, with minimal creep. I had gotten irritated with the 25 Classic creep, and gone almost exclusively to the 25-13 Mountain Gun due to the grips. The Classic with the lighter main spring is really shooting well.

robctwo

Exactly. That may be my own term and not something in general usage in shooting circles.

Most of my hand gun shooting has been done with semi autos, most with some sort of beaver tail. My smallish arthritic hands will never develop enough strength to grip a conventional revolver hard enough to prevent some of that.

I did order a Bisley Ruger in .45 Colt/ACP. I've heard that grip is more upright and easier to control. Ineeded another gun anyway.

Duke City Six

"Creep"

Okay. That's exactly what I've been experiencing with my smooth target grips, and it's the reason I'm reconsidering finger grooves. I used to have wood Hogues that didn't seem to have that problem, but mine were SO tight that they were practically impossible to get on and off, so I got rid of them. I've read posts from guys who are perfectly happy with their wood Hogues, so I understand that mine were probably a fluke, but I've just decided to stick with traditional two-piece grips in the future.

Edit to add: By the way, I think the term "creep" IS commonly used in gun circles, but I'm pretty sure it refers to the trigger.

Last edited:

pogo2

Ahrends finger grooves

I also like Ahrends finger groove grips and have quite a few on S&W revolvers. I find the finger grooves lock my hand in place with no slipping during shooting.

ThreeSW66s01.jpg

TwoSW19-5s01-1.jpg

Teuthis

Those grips are all pretty. But if you have ever been in a situation and environment of high humidity, scared half to death and sweating like a pig, unless wood grips have lots of checkering, leave them at home. Even then you might want to wrap some tape around them. Even with the "grip of death" one gets in a crisis, smooth wood grips can move. I would never use them on a firearm I intend to fight with.