New Addition to the family ... sorta!!!

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
The gun started off as a Les Baer Concept III ( http://www.photoasa.com/disk2/3010/1363/56287_lesbaer.jpg ). After putting a little over 14,000 rounds through it, 3 bluing jobs, 3 front sights, I felt it was time for a makeover.

In all fairness to Les Baer Custom, the gun shot extremely well. The barrel lockup, slide to frame fit was well done. However, cosmetically, there were several things that I did not care for. That got rectified with the help of Pete Single.

The 45 ACP rollmarks were removed, Les Baer beavertail replaced with an Ed Brown (checkered 30 LPI), short STI trigger, ED Brown mainspring housing(checkered 30 LPI), new Novak front sight, custom magwell, top of slide serrations(checkered 30 LPI), Ed Brown mag release, plunger tube silver soldered on and hard chroming by Alamo.

The holster in the background is a Milt Sparks Versa Max II in horsehide and sharksin trim. Knife is a damascus Hobbit.

82341_PCS_LB2.jpg

From lots of usage, the Bomar sight blade was getting very ratty looking. Pete cleaned re-serrated the blade. In addition, he cleaned up the sight cut. The sight is currently cold blued and will be hot blued at a later time.

He also re-fitted the thumb safety for a more positive engagement/disengagement.

The Ed Brown Beavertail's memory groove bump was machined down to provide my small hands with a firmer grip.

The front strap was checkered 30 LPI. The checkering was done at Les Baer. Otherwise, I would've had Pete done his master checkering in 25 LPI!

Overall, I couldn't ask for a better job on the gun. Pete's work and attention to detail is unreal! Lastly, he's also one heck of a nice guy that I'm fortunate enough to call my friend.

Thanks again Pete!

Last edited:

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Here's a good shot of the mirror hard chrome finish by Alamo.

81907_baer_logo.jpg

Here's a closeup of the magwell. Pete fabricated it from scratch. Notice the chamfer? There are absolutely no silver solder marks on the checkering!

82186_magwell_chamfer.jpg

Last edited:

1911Fencer

VERRRRRRRRY nice! Makes me kinda jealous... my Springfield ain't quite that pretty.... but she's pretty enough for me!

Congrats on such a marvelous peice, ArmySon!

M@

Last edited:

Mossyrock

Very nice piece of work! Let's say, just for arguments sake, that I had a Springfield Loaded 1911 in .45 ACP that I was largely happy with, but it had a few quirks I didn't like... How might I contact this gentleman to see what he could do to correct the problem? What kind of a turn-around time does he have? I've done about all my meager gunsmithing skills will allow me to do to this beast. It's time to call in a professional....

SVTNate

Beautiful gun! I gotta say, ArmySon...you have excellent taste. Every new gun you post here or on GlockTalk looks incredible.

Of course, now that the gun looks like that, you can never subject it to holster wear again :)

What kind of camera are you using? Those are gun-mag quality pictures.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Camera is just a simple SONY DSC-S50 2.1 Megapixel. I also have a Nikon 995 3.34 Megapixel but I prefer the SONY due to it's long battery life and outstanding "dark" shots.

It's not so much the camera as the proper lighting and usage of aperature size. For a good article on lighting, go here: http://swatmagazine.com/primer.htm

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Attached is a pic of the top of slide serrations.

The barrel was also hard chromed. After chroming, a 15 degree crown was applied.

Attachments

• top_serrations.jpg
    top_serrations.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Poplin

Beautiful!

The weapon looks fabulous. It looks so nice that it took me a little while to notice that there appears to be $1600 under the gun!

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I put about 500 rounds through it this weekend and one thing I noticed was how sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet the 'new' grip feels in my hand!

Notice that there's an obvious transition cut from the grip to the trigger guard. This nice relief provides my index finger a nice place to rest. In addition, since the beavertail was fitted for my small hands and the addition of the short trigger, this 1911 fits like a glove!

Oh ya, it still a straight shooter :)

Chad Young

Dude, you need to start a business taking pictures of peoples guns for them. This way, people could have pictures of their favorite guns on their desk next to their spouse, children, etc.

"Yeah, that't my wife, Betsy, and the the kids. Oh, and this is my custom CZ-75....what a beaut!"

Correia

That is a thing of beauty! Probably one of the best looking guns I have ever seen. I'm setting this as my wallpaper at work.