New addition: Sa VZ-58 (Pics inside)

CortJestir

Hi all:

Well, the gun bug bit again and bit hard. Last week, I added a Czech-made Sa. VZ-58 imported by Czechpoint-USA to my rifle collection. I opted for the Military Classic version with beech furniture upgrade and man, I'm so happy I did. The furniture upgrade really goes a long way to giving it that classic look. I know many VZ-58 owners are starting to trick them out and an aftermarket is beginning to take shape, but there's just something about leaving things as simple as possible that makes this rifle so appealing.

I put about 100 rounds down range to sight it in and get a feel for it. No sight adjustments needed - it was zeroed just fine from the factory. No failures of any kind yet. Takedown and cleaning was a breeze. I only shot using the included surplus sling in prone, but it was good enough to make 4 MOA hits out to 100 yards (the max at the nearest range to me). I haven't had time to bench it to see what the rifle can do on its own.

It's pricey at $950 ($850 with the wood-impregnated plastic furniture) :eek: but well worth it. It comes with two 30-round double-stack magazines, surplus sling, surplus field cleaning kit, and CD-ROM with electronic manual.

And for those wondering - it looks like an AK but that and caliber are where the similarities end. No AK parts interchange with the VZ-58. It is said to be the next evolutionary step of the AK with better reliability and accuracy and lighter weight (1 kilo lighter despite having a milled receiver). Since I can't own an AK here in CT, I can't attest to that statement. But I will say that it's quite a nice rifle and worth every penny to me.

Enjoy the pics...

CJ

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• VZ-58 004 (Medium).jpg
    VZ-58 004 (Medium).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 280
  • VZ-58 005 (Medium).jpg
    VZ-58 005 (Medium).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 268
  • VZ-58 006 (Medium).jpg
    VZ-58 006 (Medium).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 268

CortJestir

More detail on the furniture...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• VZ-58 009 (Medium).jpg
    VZ-58 009 (Medium).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 8
  • VZ-58 010 (Medium).jpg
    VZ-58 010 (Medium).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 252
  • VZ-58 011 (Medium).jpg
    VZ-58 011 (Medium).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 255

raftman

Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. Would be hard to argue that it's more reliable than the AK though as the 58 isn't exactly a combat-tested design.