New Acquisitions: Winchester Model 1887

OnTheFly

My father had a small collection of arms passed down from his grandfather and father. I told a friend about how my mother had promised them (in the will) to me, and he said "get them now". Apparently he had a relative snag some items that were promised him and now they can't be found. :( Talked to my mother about it and she said they aren't doing any good sitting in her basement. I feel like a proud new father all over again. So here is one of them...

Winchester Model 1887 Manufactured 1897
There was an interesting story behind this gun. My great grandfather purchased this when he was 15 years old (GASP! I know...so young to be handling things that kill!) with moneys he had earned 10 cents at a time. He was riding a horse when it was spooked by a snake. The horse reacted and my great grandfather fell off the horse, bending the barrel of the shotgun in the fall. He didn't want to junk the shotgun after earning the money to buy it, so he put the barrel in the fork of a tree trunk and carefully bent it until it was straight. He gave it a test fire and all was good.

Looks like I am going to have to learn how to load shot shell with black powder and some kind of softer shot (lead?) so I don't damage the barrel.

Fly

You don't see too many lever action shotguns.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Winchester Lever Shotgun 4 Resize.jpg
    Winchester Lever Shotgun 4 Resize.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Winchester Lever Shotgun 5 Resize.jpg
    Winchester Lever Shotgun 5 Resize.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Winchester Lever Shotgun 6 Resize.jpg
    Winchester Lever Shotgun 6 Resize.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

OnTheFly

Does anyone know if there are factory shells I could fire in this, or will I have to start loading shotshells myself? If so, anyone have a good formula? Black powder? Lead shot? From what I understand, the soft metal of the era of this gun requires a powder that produces lower pressures. Also, I am assuming the shot will have to be a softer metal like lead.

Fly

Last edited:

Scorch

Beautiful old 1887. Definitely a BP only proposition. Loading BP shotshells will take a little studying on your part. I would read up on it in the Lyman BP loading manual.

OnTheFly

Since there are BP 45-70 for my Springfield Model 1873, doesn't someone make BP shotshells for the cowboy action shooters? I don't know if I want to buy a bunch of equipment. At least not right now.

Fly

OnTheFly

Hardcase,

Thanks a lot. That's just what I was looking for. I actually already had the link to Gad from when I was searching for ammo to put in my Swiss Vetterli, but I didn't think to keep scrolling down for the shotshells.

Fly