New Acquisition: Springfield Model 1873

OnTheFly

My father had a small collection of arms passed down from his grandfather and father. I told a friend about how my mother had promised them (in the will) to me, and he said "get them now". Apparently he had a relative snag some items that were promised him and now they can't be found. :( Talked to my mother about it and she said they aren't doing any good sitting in her basement. I feel like a proud new father all over again. So here is one of them...

Springfield Model 1873 Manufactured Oct-Dec 1884
This trapdoor rifle is in pretty good shape. I don't think the gunsmith will find anything wrong with it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just have to find some cowboy action 45-70 for this baby and I can try it out.

Fly

Attachments

• Springfield 1873 Pic 1 Resize.jpg
    Springfield 1873 Pic 1 Resize.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Springfield 1873 Pic 5 Resize.jpg
    Springfield 1873 Pic 5 Resize.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Springfield 1873 Pic 3 Resize.jpg
    Springfield 1873 Pic 3 Resize.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 220

MacGille

I am envious in the extreme. Don't bother with cowboy loads. Use ffg black powder a lubed wad and 400gr. lead bullet. I make my wads from pillow ticking soaked in lube made of 1 part paraffin, 1 part beeswax, and1/2 to 1 part crisco. Fold the ticking over twice and use a 1/2" arch punch to cut out the wads. The wad will lube the barrel and scrape the powder soot out with each shot. Use 50 gr. of powder for a mild load and up to 70 gr. for hunting.

The Springfield will handle these loads easily and will afford you years of pleasure in shooting it. Remember the value in a gn is in the shooting, not the selling price. If you care for it and treat it gently, you will not compromise the value of he gun.

OnTheFly

MacGille,

I'm not a re-loader, but I understood MOST of what you said. I'm going to have to get a translator for the rest of it. :D

Seriously though, thanks for all the info. Those are the kinds of options I was looking for.

Fly

Wobble

I wish I had family heirlooms like this fine Springfield. I've only gotten old chairs, photographs, and postcards.

Seriously, your gun appears to be in extremely fine condition and probably is worth a lot of money, but I'm sure it's more valuable than money to you.