New acquisition...shoot it, or not?

44 AMP

Staff
Just looking for your opinions. Here is my "new" toy.
DSCF0523.jpg

Should I shoot it? Or just keep it unfired?
What would you do? Why?

dave421

Shoot it. I'm one of those people that believes there's no point to keep a firearm in the safe, never to be fired. They're tools first, everything else comes second to me.

ChicagoTex

I'm one of those people that believes there's no point to keep a firearm in the safe, never to be fired.

Like usual, dave, we're in agreement. I never buy a gun I don't plan to shoot. I figure I haven't got the scratch to become a "collector" and I haven't got the prophetic talent to become an "investor", so I just don't worry about it and buy what I want to shoot.

guntotinguy

OK...maybe its me,but I dont buy guns to 'just look at them'...IMO I would go and shoot it to see what it can do,and if I would even want to keep it.

Just me,and my .02

KyJim

You will feel TERRIBLE if you shoot that gun. DON'T DO IT. Send it to me instead. I'll shoot enough rounds that you won't feel bad about shooting it yourself.

I also do not buy guns without shooting them, including a NIB Python I bought once. You can shoot it and still baby it. Otherwise, it's just a paper weight.

shotgunner427

I know a guy with a '36 Boat-tail Packard convertible that he drives to meets all across the US. Averages about 10,000 miles a year.
Any car person here will realize that my answer to this is: shoot it! keep it in good shape, and hand it down to the children (or nephews, cousins, whatever)
....and for all you non-car peeps. Thats a 7-figure automobile:cool:

Stumper

Don't just shoot it-take it hunting! Take good care of it but treasure any honestly adquired scratches also.

44 AMP

Staff
So far, everbody says shoot it!

Or "send it to me!";)

But, see, I have half a dozen other .357s, so I don't need to shoot it, and I am kind of leary of something breaking (like the extractor maybe?)

I do agree on the guns are tools, and made to be shot thing, but I have quite a few tools, even some I have had for years and so far haven't shot, not because I am "saving" them for any special reason, or that they are collectors items (although some are), it is just that I haven't gotten around to it yet, and may not for quite a while.

My mind is still open, so keep those cards and letters coming folks!
And I do shoot some of these,
DSCF0266.jpg

44egl1.jpg

AutoMag.jpg

among others

pgg

Whats the point in staring at it if you haven't given it a whirl :confused: To me its like buying a new tool at Home Depot and not playing with it. Just doesn't make sense

Last edited:

Officer's Match

There's just no freakin' way I could stop myself from firing it - I simply don't have that much self control. :eek:

BTW, that's as cool as anything I've seen in a while.

kristop64089

I'd shoot it a few times.
I bought a NIB unfired Ruger GS 32N, first thing I did was shoot it... I am not going to shoot it much, Because of the "rarity" of the model. but I wanted to know what it felt like.

I have always wanted a Coonan, neat concept.

ImDisaster

Personally, I'm not a pure collector so I would only buy if I thought I would actually shoot it.

Is the price of an unfired one considerably higher than an unfired one? Obviously, the difference is the cost of trying it out. If I were just buying it for the collector's value and the price was knocked down a few hundred by shooting it I might have some serious reservations about satisfying my curiosity. I suspect a bigger issue would be holster wear and other knicks and scratches a workhorse gun would see.