New 686+ 4" Finally

wild cat mccane

I finally scored an online retail 686 Plus in 4". It is even close to normal price too.

That said, I have been looking every day online since February last year. The only place that ever has ever had them is Gunbroker and they are always from high volume sellers.

Clearly the big companies are sending their stock to gunbroker to get a higher price and beat S&W's MAP on these.

nwarmory.com has been the only place through the entire searching each day process that hasn't been price gouging on the 686s.

Happy I get to send money their way again.

A good day :)

Captains1911

A friend of mine has this exact gun and he brought it over to my house yesterday. He offered me a trade for my G43X with Ameriglo night sights and 4 mags. I’m on the fence.

ms6852

You are going to love that gun. The 4" model is on my bucket list. I already own a 686 no dash model with 6" barrel and I carry the 686+ with 3" barrel. Congratulations .

603Country

I have a 686+ with 4” barrel. Great gun. I had the trigger pull smoothed out, and now it shoots as well as my Python.

I wish I had remembered that it was a 7 shot when I ordered the 6 shot speed loader.

wild cat mccane

Thanks!

I have two other 4" Plus. Just like them!

Here is my pic of this new addition. Only $100 less than the rock bottom price during normal times? I think that is a heck of a find:

a2V5JKim.jpg

wild cat mccane

So it came in. Looks great of course....cylinder is a little hard to open.

Thoughts? If it is a "loose" rod, is this diagnosed by hand?

Thanks!

ms6852

It is probably a tight fit and may have lube from the factory used in packing that can be hard. Just spray some solvent and than lube it again. I clean all new firearms anyway. Also many people that are not familiar with revolvers will try to be cool and flip the gun to close the cylinder, never do that as it is not good for the ejector rod. Also never place the cylinder back into the revolver using the cylinder, you should use the crane to close it as this will help keep the ejector rod from bending and keeping the cylinder from binding in the housing.

One more thing is if the ejector rod is loose, than you tighten by turning the rod to your left or counter clockwise and to remove the rod you loosen it by turning clockwise or to the right.

wild cat mccane

I've read up a little. So you hand twist it while holding the cylinder.

However, I've also read that isn't sufficient without a cylinder wrench.

shurshot

A drop of clear nail polish or locktight on the threads will keep it from getting loose. Common problem with revolvers.

I was offered a gently used 686 4" from an ex cop in 1992, but I thought he was asking too much at the time. $250. Sure do kick myself now for being cheap and not buying it!!!!

rock185

Without having the revolver in hand, I suspect the stiffness may be just due to the fact your revolver is new. If an extractor rod is actually loose, I put 3 empty cases in the cylinder, then snug the rod down using a tool I have. The tool I use is quite similar to the #080-000-537WB sold by Brownells. I've never had an extractor rod come loose once snugged using this method.

Drm50

I just took a mint 586 nickel 4” on trade and sold it for $850. I’m not into S&W that are that new of production. I think I sold to cheap. I got another Blue one with 83/8” and long range sights. I’m backing off of selling any quality handguns and only going to use them for trading stock. Good S&W revolvers are going nuts on price and drying up at same time. I only do blue, P&R adj sight models and the 357s models that were fairly easy to find ( m19, m28, m27s ) in 6” barrels have even gotten scarce.