New 642-1 (No Lock)

ScotchMan

Picked up a 642-1 without the internal lock today. I specifically wanted one without the internal lock, and seeing that it is in Smith's catalog, I had my dealer order it for me. He got in two. My question is are they still making the -1 or was this old stock? I was expecting a -2 or -3 with no lock, but maybe that doesn't exist and they label the +P, no locks -1 even if they are manufactured today.

At any rate, very happy to have found this guy finally. Paid a bit more than I was hoping, because they're "rare", which was disappointing since they are on Grabagun right now for $400.

Glad to finally have a J again. Such a versatile carry option despite its drawbacks. Been missing mine ever since I let it go to finance a Walther PPS a couple years ago.

E2twFd7.jpg

fastbolt

As it was explained to me a while back, the first "new" production run of the 642-1's occurred when the company wanted to clear out some old-stock frames. I think one of the guys said that maybe 3-4K of those older frames were taking up space in their parts vaults.

They pulled the frames and used them to make new guns, which meant they were given new serial numbers as they were pulled and used, reflecting the current serial number range. I was told they also used up some older stock of 442-1 frames the same way.

The limited run of those guns were spread among some of the usual distributors they used, and they sold out FAST. I got the distinct impression that it caught at least some of the people at the company by surprise. One guy with whom I spoke didn't even realize they'd made that short run of 642-1's until they'd been made and were gone. :confused:

I'd owned a late-production 642-1 (marked rated for +P) for some years, and I liked it so well that I thought I'd pick up one of the new ones. I called to get an armorer price on the new 642-1 and was told they'd sold all of them, but they gave me the names of a couple of the distributors who had received the last shipments. I gave the names to someone I knew at S&W LE distributor and asked him to try and find one. He did, and I paid what I felt was a bit of a high price. :eek: Oh well, supply & demand. ;)

S&W finally decided to go ahead and start making new runs (new production "-1" frames, meaning sans the ILS) of some of their more popular Centennial model J's, and they've remained a cataloged item (although still having their own production schedules).

I also picked up a second M&P 340 once they introduced the No-Lock variation in that model. The first M&P 340 I ordered was sold from the first production run, and it had the ILS (lock). After inspecting it to make sure torque lock's little dog leg spring (of the locking arm, or "flag") was correctly installed, I've tried to beat that J into submission with Magnum, standard pressure and +P loads since I got it ('05?).

I still carry & use that first "lock" M&P 340 more than my No-Lock M&P 340. It's also been my "practice" revolver for keeping my armorer skills from rusting away. I've think I've cut 2 or 3 extractors for it, using the hand-cutting tool S&W makes & sells to armorers. (Not exactly a recommended practice, but who else is going to let me practice my skills on their guns? :D )

Congrats on the new 642-1. there's a reason it's the best & fastest selling J-frame the company makes. ;)

The only additions I've done to my 642-1's is to paint the front sight's ramp to make it easier to see and pick up.

fastbolt

The M&P 340 interested me for the XS front night sight and its deep rear notch. Outstanding sight system for the little J's. Easily the fastest & most easily seen of the different ones I've used, and that includes the fiber optic sights on another model.

I can run those M&P 340's out to 50 yds and still make faster hits on steel than I can any of my painted or plain J's.

Webleymkv

I think you'll be pleased with your acquisition. I recently purchased a similar revolver, a 442 Pro Series, myself and thus far I've been pleased with it (though the weather and my work schedule have conspired to prevent me for getting any range time with it yet). The lack of the ILS isn't really a big deal to me, but given that I only paid $30 more than a standard J-Frame for mine I figure that it might at least enhance the resale value a bit given some people's preference for no-lock guns.

Is yours a standard 642-1 or a Pro Series? As far as I can tell, the upgrades to the Pro Series guns are the lack of the ILS (which is also available on standard 642's) and that the Pro Series are cut for moon clips. The Pro Series 642/442 does not have any markings to differentiate it from a standard 642/442.

KRP

I'm sooo happy I never got rid of my no dash 642. The finish on the frame matches the finish on the barrel and cylinder and no flaking. Wears some Spegel cocobolos and is just pretty as a post card.:D

Webleymkv

The finish on the frame matches the finish on the barrel and cylinder

I think that the visible difference in finish on the OP's gun is probably just an anomaly from the lighting when the photo was taken. On every 642 I've seen in person, the finish on the barrel and cylinder was not visibly different than the finish on the frame, or at least not noticeably so.

KRP

You might be right Webley. Let me be clear I wasn't knocking the OP's gun, just bragging on mine. I've seen a few 642s with a frank two-tone look and a few that put a 640 to shame. I think all the centenials are a great platform and I'll be adding to the two I already own, (after the last kid is out of college)

j357

ScotchMan, Thats a great gun purchase. I am wearing a recently acquired one just like it. Happy to have a no lock version!

I would like to know your experience with the speed loader in your picture. It looks like a HKS. Can you confirm and advise if it is a #36? I have tried that model and cannot get it to function well as interference with the grip gives me the feeling that use under stress would turn an attempted reload into a fiasco. As such, I have switched to carrying speed strips with mine.

Webleymkv

The grips that S&W currently puts on their J-Frames have a reputation for interfering with speed loaders. If you want to use speed loaders with your J-Frame, switching out the grips is probably advisable. Ironically, S&W still has the old Uncle Mike's Boot grips which allow more clearance for speed loaders available on their website for a very reasonable price:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764708_-1_757889_757837_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Another popular option is Hogue's Bantam grips:

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22_35_87_188_198

deputy tom

Congrats on your new 642-1. I bought one in 1993 and it has held up well as my EDC gun. Mine has the same frame/bbl. & cyl. contrast as yours does. I use speed strips to ensure easy reloads with stock rubber boot grips. My other J-frames have Magna grips relieved with a dremel drum sander to clear speed loaders. At $400.00 from grabagun those are a steal! I paid $389.00 plus tax for mine back then. tom. :cool:

redrick

Congratulations on you new 642 -1 .

I also bought a new 642 -1 when they first came back out without the ILS . I had a MP 340 with the ILS . It had a smoother & lighter feeling trigger than my 642 and I really like the XS front sight on it . I sold it because of the recoil and I couldn't get over the ILS . With that much recoil I was worried it would fail .