New 5.56x45, new bullet?

ligonierbill

It has been awhile since I did any load workup for an AR. Shooting a garden variety 16" 1:9, I've been happy with 65 SGK, 55 Sierra HPBT (#1390), and recently, because I had some, 40 Nosler BT.

Now I have a high quality 20" 1:8, and I need to get back to work. I am not a match shooter. If there is an application, other than fun at the range, for this rifle, it will be thinning the coyotes within 400 yards. Before I order up any bullets, I thought I'd ask what folks are having success with today. I have a good supply of the 55 Sierras, but our friendly postman (woman actually) is quite used to delivering small, heavy boxes.

CarJunkieLS1

For coyotes look at the 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I use my .224 centerfire rifles for target, coyotes, varmint and medium game. Alabama deer aren't very big. I always seem to gravitate towards the 60 grain Ballistic Tips for Varmints, the 68 grain Hornady BTHP for paper, and the 62 grain Swift Scirrocco II for deer.

Stats Shooter

I have a Ruger SR 556 Varmint with a 20'" stainless steel match barrel 1:8 Twist. I use the 75 Grain Hornady BTHP and 24.3 gr Varget, lake city brass, CCI 450 primers. COAL is 2.280 but will feed from my mags.

I get 2762 fps. It groups 1/3" at 100 yards and 5" at 600 yards.

I used it shooting my first couple F-TR matches before I built my match bolt action rifle.

Those bullets are relatively cheap but the ballistic coefficient is better than the 77gr smk and seem to love Varget and a 1:8 Twist

hagar

Ditto on the 60 Nosler. The 60 grain VMax is also a good coyote getter, had mixed results with the 60 Sierra (does not expand well). But the one bullet that did it for me was the 64 Winchester PP, shot many coyotes, javlina and deer with it with impressive results.

GCbroker

I've been told the Sierra 69 grain bullets are the bomb
for accuracy. I haven't loaded any but I'm going too.
The fella that recommended them is well respected
in my area. Another to consider.

bacardisteve

Hornady 75grbthp. Great bullet on paper and game. My youngest has taken deer with it and I have used it with good success on coyote and fox.