New .480 Ruger caliber?

HankB

Ruger has announced availability of their Super Redhawk in a new caliber, the .480 Ruger. Ruger's latest catalog claims it has about a third more energy than a .44 magnum. Any word on ballistics, availability of factory ammo, or whether or not it's really better than the .454, other than the "mine's bigger than yours" factor? (And is it really new, or did they just rip-off Linebaugh's .475?)

bedlamite

The reason for the reduced power round is so that they could still fit six rounds into the Super Redhawk and have adequate cylinder wall thickness. With the Linebaugh calibers you have to drop it to five shots. It is a shortened version of the 475, and is supposed to deliver a 325gr slug at 1350fps. Sounds like an answer to a question no one was asking.

HankB

bedlamite, if the ballistics you posted are correct (325@1350) I don't see any reason for this cartridge. Let's see, a slightly larger diameter bullet - .475 vs. .454, a 0.021" difference - at lower velocity. (Barnes' manual shows the .454 throwing a 325 at 1575, though barrel length wasn't specified.) And for this you need proprietary brass, more expensive bullets, etc. You're right, it's the answer to a question no one was asking.

dvc

.480 Ruger....

.480 Ruger is a reduced velocity .475 Linebaugh that has been cut down to .44 magnum length and renamed.

Is there a purpose? Probably not. Would I buy one? No.