New 454 Casull Super Redhawk

mrawesome22

I purchased a RSH 7.5" 454 Casull last Friday and was wondering how you guys think I did. The guy bought it brand new 2 years ago, shot 39 rounds out of it, cleaned it, and never shot it again. I gave him $300 for it.

So how did I do?

T-Bear

That is about what I paid for mine maybe alittle less.
I bought mine used with about 100rds handloaded, brass, dies, bullets.For $375.
ain't bad at all. Awesome score if you ask me.

mrawesome22

Yeah, I was thinking I did good. When he told me $300, I jumped all over it. I shot it Saturday and it is very accurate. I do think I'm going to take it to my smith and have him work on the trigger however.

angeldeville

I wouldn't sell mine for twice that....

DSCF0828.jpg

Charshooter

That is a good deal. I had tried a Freedom Arms 454 Casull and liked the revolver, but the thing about that cartridge is that it has such high pressure that to has too much a fast recoil that it becomes fatiguing to shoot. If you hand load, use Casull brass and load it to about the pressure of a 44 magnum, then it will shoot with a bit more energy than a 44 magnum or a hot load 45 Colt and still be manageable. If the full house load does not bother you, fine, but that is why fellas sell them off, it is just too much gun for most men.

BTW: I like the 480 Ruger better, but it was not out in the Blackhawk I perfer and now I am too old to fool with a new heavy load.

mrawesome22

Carshooter, my 454 dies are on the way and I can't wait to load some real thumper rounds. I probably will load some 44Mag velocity loads as well.

Now I just have to find a real pretty grip for this monster.

Apache6

Smokin' deal. I wouldn't take twice that for mine, either. Factory loads are way too sharp for my arthritic hands, but reloads are another story! I got a set of Hogue Tamer grips, and that also made a difference in felt recoil.

thats about 1/2 what I just paid for my Alaskan with 1/4 of the barrel length... a great deal IMO...

... the Hogue grips that come on the Alaskan, while nothing to look at, make the gun very shootable, & they work well on the longer barrels, I have a set on my 8.5" Taurus, & on both my Dan Wessons

mrawesome22

Anyone know of a product that will remove this
DSC00095.jpg

I read Mother's polish somewhere, but will that remove it or just make it shiny?

CraigC

Any sixgun that is shot will have carbon scoring on the front of the cylinder. To bother trying to remove it is an exercise in futility and you are likely to do more harm than good.

grizz449

mrawesome22

Flitz will remove the fire ring from a ss cylinder, just dont rub it on the cylinder outside diameter.