New 44Mag.

STEVE M

I am looking for a 44Mag. revolver (double action) with 4" barrel. My uses are general woods/hiking, backup for hunting (possibly primary) and as a concelment piece going to and from the woods. Thw S&W mountain gun would have been great, but since the Co. sold us out; what should I get now?

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!

Taurus would be your only option since Ruger sold us out long ago with the same degree of treachery.

Of course, a used SW would be your best bet. I've seen pre-agreement SWs in Mountain Gun, snub, and Trailboss configerations of the 629 on auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com.

J. Parker

STEVE; There's not alot of choices these days. I had a Taurus M44. Nice gun. The grip was real sweet because it covered the backstrap and helped alot during recoil. The M44's are ported also which helps even moreso controlling recoil. If you want a camping/hiking backup it's an excellent choice IMHO. For self-defense I'd stay with a double action. How about 41 mag? Taurus has a 41 mag snubbie. If you don't find what you want in 44 or 41 you might try the 10mm. The Glock 20 would be a very nice hiking/camping backup. Best Regards, J. Parker

MattC58

I've got the Taurus 44 4", and I love it. I'e got the blued model and it's sharp as can be.

The barrel is ported so muzzle flip is easily managed. It's loud, but that doesn't matter with hearing protection.

I keep Winchester Silvertip .44 specials in it for home defense, but I usually shoots magnums at the range. I'm going to start reloading soon because of the cost.

I say go for it! Great gun, great company (the free NRA membership or renewal), great deal at around $300 for the blued.

JoeHatley

A Dan Wesson 744, with the regular profile barrel shroud would be very similar to a S&W Mountain Gun. Just a couple of ounces heavier.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

branrot

I've got an Anaconda with a 6 inch barrel. Fits nicely in my Galco ankle holster. Just kidding! Went back and forth between it and the S&W 629, and ended up with it. While I liked the grip and cylinder release of the Smith, I couldn't pass up the good looks and ventilated rib of the Colt. Good luck.

MountainMan

i've been thinking about getting a super redhawk and having the barrel shortened to 4", creating a carryable .44 that can handle randy garrett's hottest loads. it's my idea of the perfect gun for the woods.

JackFlash

Considering the burn characteristics of most 44 Mag loads, a 4" bbl. seems counter productive. But then I'm not wearing the thing. I just don't think you'd get very complete ignition in a 4" bbl. --not in a full-house mag load.

MountainMan

i just asked randy garrett by email about a .44 super redhawk with barrel trimmed to 4". he thought it would make a good woods gun and guessed that his 330-gr cartridges would go around 1300 fps thru it. sounds good to me!