New 380 Coming Soon

priell3

I won this on Gunbroker Sunday. From the description:

UP FOR AUCTION IS A RARE FIND BEING NEW OLD STOCK. WE HAVE A HUNGARIAN MADE FEG MODEL APK MARK II CHAMBERED IN 380 ACP SOLD WITH ORIGINAL CASE 2 MAGAZINES CLEANING ROD AND ORIGINAL PAPERWORK. ALSO INCLUDED IS THE SPARE GRIP PANEL SO YOU CAN SWAP OUT TO A FLAT LEFT GRIP PANEL IN PLACE OF THE ONE THAT HAS THE FINGER REST FOR A MORE FLAT, AND COMFORTABLE CONCEAL CARRY!

IMPORTED IN THE EARLY '90S BY INTERARMS THE APK MODEL ITSELF IS HARD TO FIND BUT TO FIND A NEW OLD STOCK CONDITION VARIANT SUCH AS THIS IS A RARE FIND FOR SURE!

COSMETICALLY THIS APK IS IN PERFECT MINT CONDITION WITH NO SIGNS OF FINISH WEAR, DINGS, DENTS, OR SCRATCHES TO THE FRAME, SLIDE, OR GRIPS!

MECHANICALLY THIS APK IS IN FACTORY NEW CONDITION SHOWING NO MECHANICAL WEAR MARKS. AND THE ONLY SIGN OF IT BEING FIRED WAS POSSIBLE FROM BEING TESTIFIED AT THE FACTORY BEFORE SHIPMENT.

pix242692020.jpg

I paid just over $300 before shipping and tax.

I have a FEG looking much like the one shown. It's a copy (knockoff?) of a Walther PP in 7.65mm. The one I have is not exactly the same as the one shown, as the slide markings reveal it to be a "AP-MBP". Which I take to be a model description.

Seems to be passable pistol, but the double action is between eight and fifty-one pounds. Finish seems to be good and everything fits without gaps.

gc70

Nice pistol. I have held an APK in the past and the impression I got was that it was what the PPK should have been, particularly the beavertail and the grip shape.

Is that single action?

The trigger looks to be too far back for it to be in double action?

Or does applying the safety pull the trigger back?

JohnKSa

Administrator
The trigger looks to be too far back for it to be in double action?

Or does applying the safety pull the trigger back?
If it's like the PPK, the trigger behaves somewhat unusually when decocked.

When you cock the hammer the trigger goes to the SA position. Decock the gun and leave the safety on and the hammer falls but the trigger stays in the SA position. When the safety is moved to the 'fire' position for the first time after decocking, the trigger will spring forward to the DA position. From then on, the safety can be engaged and disengaged without the trigger changing position.
...the double action is between eight and fifty-one pounds.
Sounds like they remained faithful to the original PPK design then. :D
It will be a proud day when they grow up and their sights come in...
Again, sounds like they stayed with the original design. The PPK was impressive when it was new, in 1931, but now it shows its age. That doesn't make it useless, I carry one from time to time--but it is a design that's nearly 100 years old and you have to take that into account.

Interesting. Didn't know that about the Walther. I've not handled/shot many.

I do want to get one in .32 ACP one of these days, though.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I like my PPK and it has been reliable, but I won't recommend them.

Mine is one of the Ranger, Alabama pistols.

The sights on mine are way off and can't be adjusted to any significant extent. Certainly not enough to get the gun on target except at very close range. It shoots quite high and left. The sights are tiny and hard to see and installing night sights is a gunsmithing proposition--and not an easy one at that. The gun is very accurate, but hampered by the above issues.

Chambering a round from a full magazine on an unmodified pistol can be a problem. A friend of mine owned a gun shop and he had one customer who would bring her PPK in every time she needed to load it because she couldn't manage to rack the slide. Mine was a pain until I finally made some changes and now it's not too bad. Here's what I did. https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568886

The SA trigger is not a hindrance to accurate shooting, but the DA pull is really stiff. Mine is between 17 & 18lbs and there's not much to be done about it.

Slide bite on these guns is definitely something to pay attention to. I rounded the bottom edges and the back corners of the slide and now, at least, it's a bit less likely to draw blood.

All that said, I do carry mine occasionally, as mentioned, because I am familiar with it, I know how it shoots, and because it has been reliable. And because although it's heavy (loaded it's about an ounce shy of a pound and a half), it is small and thin.