new 38 revolver acquisitions

Zathras

I got these in a private sale . Paid $400.00 for the pair..I think It was a good deal. The Smith was made in 1986.Both are stainless of course..

Attachments

• smith.JPG
    smith.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Taurus.JPG
    Taurus.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

lee n. field

.I think It was a good deal.

I think so too.

The Taurus I think has a bit of age on it. Possibly back to early '90s or late '80s. The far side, that we can't see -- is there a sideplate screw up by the rear sight? Just asking -- I don't think there's any obsessed collectors that dote on the Taurus like you see w/ S&W.

Don P

It's a real good deal. In todays market the S&W WITHOUT the lock is worth $300+. It appears that both are in excellent condition. So yep you got a deal

lee n. field

yes Lee, it does have the screw by the rear sideplate. I guess that makes it more valuable??

No, just kind of places it in time. I had a model 66 built like that for a long time, '88 vintage. Taurus made changes in the design continuously over the years.

Given that, I'd also bet you that yours has a hammer block instead of a transfer bar, and that the hand is in a milled recess in the sideplate itself, held in place by a spring loaded plunger. Makes reassembly a bit more complicated.

Last edited:

joe-lumber

If you paid $400 for the pair that is a bargin for what S&W 60's are selling in East Texas. I am still looking for a good Model 60 or even a Colt Detective Special. They have fewer shots than Glock 26 and 19 but I would love purchase one.
J

Zathras

I suppose I was simply lucky. Someone told the seller I was a firearms enthusiast, and thats how we connected for the sale. I suppose it happens with many others, and I ain't alone in that..

Zathras

I gave the Taurus to my son in law as a late birthday gift. He lost his father a few weeks ago so I figured, what the hell..he loves it.The Smith I'm keeping of course.