New 1911

hardworker

I've never owned a 1911 and am looking at ones to buy. I'd like to buy one that is made here in the US but I realize that by doing so I am looking at spending 1000 or so. Are the Colt's worth it? Or should I just buy a Springfield? And speaking of cheaper 1911's, has anyone had any experience with the Iver Johnsons?

I don't want a tack driver, just a good work horse 1911 that will shoot accurate enough and outlast me.

ang4me

I just picked up a S&W 1911pd (5", with tac rail) NIB for $850. It's light enough to carry daily, heavy enough to have very manageable recoil, and it's sexy as hell, imho. Oh yeah, and it is silly accurate.

MSW1911PD_SW108293%20%28A%29.jpg

Spats McGee

Administrator
There was just another thread on choosing a good 1st 1911, so I'll just post the same thing I posted in the other thread:

Spats McGee said:
There's a great thread over at GlockTalk which I often recommend to newcomers to 1911s: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1269683

Beginning at post #17, bac1023 reviews a number of 1911s, breaking them down by moving from entry-level to high-dollar customs. It's definitely worth the read. If nothing else, it will help you figure out what questions you should be asking when looking at 1911s.

I know that some people have had great luck with Taurus, but I would avoid them. I've just read too many complaints about them to be comfortable with them.

For your budget (~$700), I'd look at:
Springfield Arms Mil-Spec
Springfield Arms
Rock Island Armory
Remington R1

There are other good ones out there in that price range (STI, Colt, maybe Desert Eagle), but I just don't know enough about them to say one way or another. Not knockin' em, just don't know 'em very well.

zombieslayer

You can get a Colt for under $1000. Also look at the SA Range Officer.
If you buy a Colt, and after a while realize that 1911's aren't for you, it'll probably have a better resale value than a Springfield or RIA.

mikejonestkd

I'll Ditto Zombie's recommendation to look seriously at Colt - they have many models that are under $1000, and Springfield also offers several excellent models too. I also agree that a Colt will hold its resale value very well over time - i have had multiple offers to buy my latest combat elite for more than I paid for it....but I am not selling, not now, not ever...

For a colt there is no finer place to contact than Wild West Guns, contact wildalaska, he is a member of the forum and he loves to sell Colts...

http://www.wildwestguns.com/contact.html

Ask for Ken.

Auto426

The Colt's are definitely worth it. They are 100% American made, and they use better quality small and internal parts than most of their competitors. For $1000 you can buy any of the XSE models, or for even less you can buy one of their more basic 1991 models. Any of them will make great work horses and will outlast you.

KyJim

If you want American made at "reasonable" prices, go with Colt or Smith and Wesson. I would prefer the Colt.

BlayGlock

I think there are better guns for the money than Colt in that price range. This is less true now that it was just a few years ago howeer. You can pick up a lightly used Springfield TRP for that price. You can also get an STI Trojan or Springfield Range Officer.

mes227

Depending on your budget you might consider getting a used 1911. I always have my eye open for them and you'll find some good guns in the under $600 price range (I saw a Springfield for $550 recently that I should have bought!) And you can find new Rock Islands on GunBroker for circa $400.

jimbob86

I don't want a tack driver, just a good work horse 1911 that will shoot accurate enough and outlast me.

I have heard good things about Rock Island Armory 1911's...... lotta bang for the buck.

My first 1911 was a Charles Daly el cheapo made in the Phillipines ..... It works, and I still like it..... even Carry it on occasion.

Kreyzhorse

You really can't go wrong with a Colt, Springfield or a S&W. Springfield however as pointed out is cast in Brazil. Some of their guns are also assembled in Brazil and some are assembled in the USA.

Smaug

Don't forget Para! Mine's a GI Expert, $550 locally. Probably less through Buds.

a681f226.jpg

I'm sure it will do better than that. ^ That was one of my first targets with it. I've since got the elevation figured out. I need to drift the rear sight over a bit to get the windage correct.

It is very nice. Much nicer level of finish than the equivalent Springfield, Kahr, Auto-Ordnance/Rock Island Armory. Seems like an epoxy finish instead of the parkerizing.

Came with two stainless 8-round mags.

Very nice gun, I paid $550 locally.

I'm not sure if it was made here or in Canada.