New (?) 1911 on the block: IDS Ranger

New_comer

Hello all ;)

There was this 1911 displayed at the last gunshow that really turned quite a few heads.

Now, maybe for its lack of reputation, most of us just shied away, checking out the more renowned brands instead.

It was an Imperial Defence Services "Ranger" 1911. Milspec variety, parkerized, 7+1. Pic here :
1911a1-l.jpg

There's also this dressed-up version that reeked of 'showmanship': deep shiny blueing, rear milspec serrations, beavertail grip safety, rounded hammer, ambi safety, grip knurling... the works.

Now this is not much different compared to the dressed up Rinco's and Llama's, but what really impressed me was the forged steel construction, and seeming better attention to detail. The Norinco's metal is known to be tough, but they sure didn't care much for quality workmanship. But this one's different. I'd dare say it's done with class and good materials.

Another intriguing twist: the sales rep confided that in some of the Ranger units they have in store, there are several with "777" barrels. I don't know what that means, but I suppose it's got to be good.

Anybody with experience with this model? Truly intriguing, but enough for me to wait, and gather more info, before I plunge my hard-earned money into a 1911.

The milspec goes for $300, while the dressed up models go from $380 to $420.

Any inputs appreciated... :D

stans

It looks very much like a Colt 1911-A1 military issue before parkerizing started! Years ago there was another 1911 that went by the Ranger name. It was made by Federal Ordnance and the ones I saw did not look very good. Seems to me they were cast receivers and slides with surplus GI parts. "777" barrels may be a reference to military replacement barrels, but I think the first three digits of those barrels is 779.

CWL

Hey New_Comer,

Mabuhay, never heard of this IDS pistol, but was curious about the reputation of Charles Daly pistols in the Phillipines -especially since they make them there. What's the local opinion of Charles Daly?

New_comer

Hi, CWL :)

The Armscor/CD models do enjoy popular local support since they're not only inexpensive, they do hold their own in terms of workmanship and durability. Those who put more premium in better workmanship, parts and gunsmithing support prefer the Armscor than other bargain 1911's like the Llama's and Norincos. Primary buyers are military/LEO cadets and the usual homeowner out for his first pistol.

I have several friends who currently use the Armscor 45's in IPSC, and have been truly satisfied. An Armscor employee who regularly competes swears by his 45, having fired more than 15,000 rounds thru it without any problems. I was looking at one of the newer releases in .40S&W to compete in the Standard category. But I was derailed in doing so when I saw this IDS Ranger.

Last I heard, Armscor has let go of the local assembly of the CD's. They'll simply send parts to KBI? to be assembled there in the US. That said, Armscor came out with their own brand to export, the Medallion series. You could look at several of their new releases here : www.advancedtactical.com

Well, that's about the picture here on the CD. May yet find myself owning one if this IDS proves to be a dud.

Be safe.

New_comer

If I may add, the sales rep also mentioned that in some of their IDS Ranger units in stock, they noticed "777"(?) barrels fitted in.

I don't know what that is, but I guess it's supposed to be good.

Why so? :confused:

ww2remington

ids ranger: forged or cast?

hi there newcomer,

Ive also heard about the IDS RANGER and i also would want to have one, but one thing that restrains me from buying one is the lack of reputation of the gun/manufacturer. You have said that the ranger is "forged" steel 1911. I was just curious about the description of jon caradimas on his m1911 site that the ids is no frills, "cast" 1911?