New 1911 From Palmetto State Armory

P71pilot

A foreign made 1911 for $700?, I think I'll pass. You could almost get a loaded model or range officer from SA, or a Colt 1991 or series 70 for that price. Kimber custom 2, couple of sig offerings. Ruger

Joe_Pike

It is. That tracery inside the hammer loop is an 'M' and an 'A' to signify Metro Arms.

I don't see that on the PSA offering, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was out of their facility.

Ibmikey

On the 1911 site there are already responders condemning the pistol for a variety of issues. I find it amazing a person can look at a photo and make judgements about a product. Often PSA indicates their parts are " made in the good ole USA" but that suggestion is absent in their ad, too bad it might dispell some of the "guessers" If anyone can successfully introduce another 1911 into the crowded market PSA has the ability and I should think their same level of quality will be maintained.
Not being in the market for another 1911 I shall sit back and see how the PSA pistol is accepted in the marketplace, hopefully for the consumer it will be a top tier product.

tirod

Where does it say SA is an American made gun?

Don't automatically assume a 1911 is American, or has a forged frame. Many are not.

Croatia, the Philippines, Turkey, and Brazil ship many here, with slides already rollmarked with an American Brand on it. It's been cussed, discussed, and posted for years.

Springfield is a modern era company that simply bought the name. They make a good product but don't assume the provenance is summed up in their motto.

Search is your friend, there's been a lot of discussion about it over the last five years and just because it has an old time American flag waving brand on it doesn't mean it's 100% Made in the USA. Many of them are made overseas and just finished here.

Pin them down and they either deflect or fess up, "Made in the USA" is more sizzle than steak to the Marketing Department.

RickB

If the gun is made overseas it must be stamped with the country of origin.
You can debate what "made" means, as parts can be sourced overseas and if sufficient work is done to them here, then the gun is considered to have been "made" here.
Springfield walked that line with their 1911s for many years.

BigBL87

I was excited when I saw the thread title, and disappointed when I saw the price.

Not the typical value I've come to expect from PSA. Maybe it's worth the price, but don't see myself paying that when I can get an RIA for around $400. I guess the RIA Tactical would be a better comparison based on features, but even that can be found around $500 and sometimes less.

And if they are made in the US, for that price I'd probably got with a Colt or Remington. I think they'll need to drop the price or do some hardcore marketing to be successful.

KyJim

When I saw this thread, I Googled for info in the PSA 1911. I was surprised to learn PSA had announced a couple of years ago they were coming out with two 1911s. They appeared to be more expensive versions than the new one they are now selling. See http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/21/palmetto-state-armory-1911-pistols/.

Is the current offering worth the $800 price tag? Hard to say since there is little mention about parts, only that the slide is forged steel and the frame is "carbon steel." I think they need to get some details out there and get some reviews on in before they can justify $800. It may be worth it, but you have to explain why it's better than Armscor, etc.

Hunter Customs

Here we go again, another 1911 to add to the already crowded assortment of 1911 manufactures.
I don't really have an issue with another 1911 by another manufacture as long as they stay with in specs and use good parts.
However if they start cheapening them up, making them out of spec that just adds more fuel the BS fire about how unreliable the 1911 design is.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

buckmt1

Well I think that there is always "room" for 1 more...! Let's see in the last 10-15 yrs Sig,ruger,
Rem,Ria, DW,etc etc etc...a couple went bye bye...but there will always be a market for them cause there One Hell of a Weapon! Design\Balance.

Artillery King Of The Battlefield

shaunpain

I travelled over to ARFCOM because I know the company monitors their forums and responds about their products. A representative using their account has stated the frames are cast and the small parts vary but "are consistent with other manufacturers in the market." They are assembled and fitted in their SC facility. I had the fortune of jumping on their forged frames and slides when they were available and can tell you that they were in spec and high quality. My completed project possesses only the highest quality components I could afford and cost well above the $800 mark. I think it's competition to a Colt and FWIW, I'd rather give my money any day to PSA than Colt. I want my hard earned money to send someone's kid to college, not finance an executive's yacht.

P71pilot

I hear Springfield separated from Imbel and is now making guns stateside, I hear they are %100 American sources parts but they will not tell anyone where their steel forgings are coming from. I would be angry if they were coming from South Korea or sething like that. Everyone who knows 1911s knows that Springfield Armory is different from original goverment supplying entity.

I have heard really great things about modern philline 1911s, I would only buy one of severely limited to $500 and absolutely had to have a 1911 and was not happy with current polymer alternatives

buckmt1

1911 SA

I bought a new SA 1911, 20 years ago (since Sold) on the cover of GA, picture of weapon said made in U.S.A. Well, mine said made in Brazil!! So I called SA, they said Prototype Was Made in U.S.A. BUT....The run was made in Brazil....is that Bait and Switch?? or a little misleading?

Artillery King Of The Battlefield

tirod

What we might read on the slide meets the letter of law, not necessarily any one person's personal beliefs.

Lets not forget that Ford has been selling cars with engines cast in Canada - the Windsor (Ontario) plant, and transmissions from Mexico - Tremec. But those cars and trucks are Made in the USA, right?

Same with AR's, there are half a dozen M16 plants worldwide. Look in certain catalogues that mark the item if it's Made in the USA and it runs about half the products offered.

Half.

Same with 1911's. There are a lot of frames and slides coming in from Turkey and the Phillippines, plus Korea and Croatia. You can buy a gun marked Made in the USA that has a cast frame from across one ocean or another. The designation does NOT mean every piece on it was made here. Not hardly.

Hiding our collective head in the sand over it doesn't help.

If you buy a 1911 and expect the frame to be 100% Made in the USA it's going to take some serious research to prove it actually is. And that goes double for the smaller niche gun makers.

It's off topic for the PSA here - which is openly made in the Philippines. Take it or leave it. Just don't assume a 1911 you buy here to be Made in the USA any more than the guns we've used to defend our country:

Washington fought with copies of the Brown Bess British musket along with some French imports. Locally made long rifles weren't that common in the soldiers ranks.

Krag Jorgenson, any one? Norwegian.
Springfield '03? Copy of the Mauser it fought against.
M60 copies a German feeding system on one of their heavy rifles.
M16 uses direct impingement originally part of a French rifle.
M9 is an Italian Berretta based off the German P38 by Walther.

If Springfield is now forging their own frames in country more power to them. But across the board those guns are usually well over $800 on the American market. It takes a cast foreign frame to compete under that price point - or polymer.

Country of origin is a political smoke screen for manufacturing. The Seiko plant in Singapore makes hundreds of thousands of movements, but as long as a Japanese National manages the plant, their laws allow the works to be imported into Japan and cased there - labeled Made In Japan.

Just like Fords here. Canadian blocks, Mexican transmissions. It's been going on for a long time. Smoke and mirrors.