New 1873 Winchesters

gyvel

Looks like some of the new Miroku produced Winchester 1873s are starting to show up on the market.

They are available as .45 Colts or .38/.357.

Which one would you choose?

On the one hand, a .45 Colt would more nearly resemble some of the old original .44-40s.

On the other hand. .38 Special is cheap and easy to reload, and .357 is fairly easy to reload as well, and generally a little cheaper than .45 Colt.

Last edited:

Colt46

.45 colt if you reload your own

I love .45 colt in a lever gun. That heavy slug has a trajectory like a thrown bowling ball, but puts the smack on anything down range.
If you do't reload the .357 will be a better option.

Crunchy Frog

They are getting good reviews from cowboy action shooters. I've only seen one in the flesh; it was a .45 Colt. I'd prefer the .44-40 myself.

gyvel

From a cost per round standpoint, the .38/.357 combo would seem to be the most practical. But the .45 Colt would more closely resemble one of the "Old West" large bore types. .44-40 ammo just costs to much and is too hard to find to even consider.

Crunchy Frog

The .38-.357 is the most popular chambering amongst cowboy action shooters, primarily because of the cost of ammo and components. We put a lot of rounds downrange and the costs savings add up. The smaller caliber is also easier to shoot more rapidly. A .38-.357 lever action rifle is a lot of fun anyway.

I don't buy much factory ammo but I've priced it for other shooters who don't handload. I've been able to find .44-40 for about the same price as .45 Colt.

If you are going to buy a rifle just to add to the collection but not shoot it, what difference does the ammo cost make? If you are going to buy it and shoot it, handload your ammo. You can then afford to shoot it regardless of caliber.

Hawg

Just did a cursory check, and Winchester .44-40 is $70.99 a box.

The last I priced which I admit has been awhile was right at 40 bucks, the same price as .45 Colt. I reload my 44-40's.

44-40 ammo just costs to much and is too hard to find to even consider.

Haven't looked lately but Walmart used to sell it.

billygun

Barrel length

I noticed they come in 20 and 24 inch barrels. If one were to choose .45 long Colt which barrel would be better. Would the extra 4 inches be that much more accurate?

BG

skizzums

read up on the barrel lengths before you buy, I chose the 20" even though they had a 16" available. I picked the 20 assuming I would be getting a little extra power. this was not the case with 38/357, I actually lost a slight bit. now I feel like a dummy lugging the extra pound and 4inches around for nothing, but also take into consideration that the longer barrel will equal a longer magazine as well, if capacity is important to you

BBI shows the 16" to be the optimum for .357
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

the .45colt seems to fare better with longer barrel, I assume due to having more powder to burn
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45colt.html

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hmmm. The 73 was a weak action the first time around and maybe making them from steel has been an improvement, but if I were going to buy a revolver caliber repro to shoot it would be the 92.

Jim

Jim Watson

The 73 is not as strong but it is or can be made smoother than a 92.
Depends on whether you want to do CAS or go hunting.

Just did a cursory check, and Winchester .44-40 is $70.99 a box.

Howdy

I dunno where you're shopping for ammo but Cabela's has Ultra-Max 44-40 Cowboy loads for $39.99 for a box of 50. Personally I haven't bought commercial 45 Colt or 44-40 since I started CAS over ten years ago. Back then these calibers cost between $18 - $22.50 for a box of 50, which was a lot even back then. That was enough reason to start reloading them. I have been reloading 44-40 and 45 Colt ever since, mostly with Black Powder.

Yes, the '92 is a stronger action than the '73, but the Italian '73s are proofed for SAMMI max loads and I'm sure the new Miroku/Winchester '73 is as well. I haven't seen one yet, but would be very interested in handling one. I doubt I will be buying one, I already have an Uberti '73, Uberti 1860 Henry, a real Winchester 1873 made in 1887, and a couple of real Winchester 1892s. All are chambered for 44-40 except the Winchester '73 which is chambered for 38-40.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I rebuilt a number of 1873's before parts became impossible to get, and was never very impressed by them as shooting guns, in spite of the "won the West" business. They were probably the best for the time (which is what counts) but the old iron frames wore out in spite of the case hardening and of course the links and pins wore out until the guns rattled. I have one today that is pretty tight but it is in .32-20 and apparently was never shot a lot.

Jim