New 1851 Navy ordered to day

tinker2

New 1851 Navy
Well, I did it, I ordered a 1851 Navy .36 caliber cap & ball
today. I had a coupon for $20. Off from Cabela. I also had
a $40. Gift certificate for Cabela’s, from Christmas.
http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jse...OGOCJVZCIWE?_requestid=26860&_requestid=51715

So this is what I ordered to day:

1851 Navy model .36 cal W/steel frame. Part # IG- 210079
Replacement pistol parts kit 1851 Navy. Part # IG- 214052
Revolver powder measure. Part # XF- 210253

What else do I need?

I have black powder, 777, Caps 10&11, powder flask, balls and a
VERY nice hand made pistol loading stand made by Remington Kid.

I remember seeing a post on making your own nipple wrench
and if I can find the post I will try that. So besides nice weather
what else do I need?

I will post what I think about it when I get it and take it apart
and check it over.

Thanks
Tinker2

Old Dragoon

Tinker2,
You can have it deliverd to me and I'll test it out for a couple months and work the bugs out and...and...and...COVET!, COVET!, COVET!;) :D :eek:

I am happy for you! I'm sure there is a Tinker2 handmade holster for it in the works too.

I'll get one someday.
I quess I could trade my 3 Pietta' '58 Remmy's for one or two..........:D

Actually I want to see and handle a Euroarms '51 Colt Navy.

azredhawk44

I just did the same thing with a used Uberti '51 Navy today.

Thinking of a Kirst Konvertor for it in 38LongColt, just for the "movie gun" effect from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or The Quick and The Dead.

But, I still need to get the basic black powder gear to play with it to begin with.

azredhawk44

Just went to sportsman's warehouse today and got:

100 Hornady .36cal round balls (.350 diameter)
100 CCI #11 caps
Traditions powder flask
Black Powder measure

I already have a bunch of 777 on hand.

What else do I need?

Anyone know where I can get a holster and gunbelt like Clint Eastwood's in TGTB&TU? Left handed, and won't cost an arm and a leg? I will pay for a good holster (i.e. my BladeTech for my XD9 and Hunter holster for Ruger 44), but I can't justify $250 for a holster.

Steve499

Azredhawk44, you may need to return those .350 balls. They would be just right for a .36 rifle but you'll need .375 or .380 balls for a .36 revolver.

You probably will want some sort of lubricant to put over the loaded cambers to keep the fouling soft. Some buy it (bore butter) some make it (beeswax/olive oil) and some steal it from their wives (crisco). Some like wonder wads over the powder and some never use them, take your pick.

Holsters aren't hard to make if you can come up with the leather.I don't know of a source to buy any, I just make my own.

Tinker2, good to see you back on here.

Steve

tinker2

Old Dragoon

“You can have it delivered to me and I'll test it out for a couple months”
If I had only known that, I could have had it drop shipped straight to ya.
Actually I would probably let you do that if I lived close enough to visit it on
the weekends.

Yes there is a holster that needs to be made for that gun and my model “P” jr.
It this point I seem to have forgotten how to lace and stitch leather??
I found most of my leather working tools, enought anyway, but I am, at this
moment, at a lost as to how to do it. I know, big time senior moment.

“I'll get one someday.”

That is the way I feel about the 58 Remington from when you said that the
Euroarms Remingtons were smaller frame and grip like the 51 Colt.
I want to see and handle a Euroarms '58 Remington .36 Navy.

Steve499

“Tinker2, good to see you back on here.”

It is good to be back Steve. Thanks for saying so.

Tinker2

Old Dragoon

Tinker2.
I just had an idea. In your quest for a light rifle, have you tried a Remmy Revolving carbine. Very light and an easy hold. I know you are still beat up some, but if you can put your left hand up to your chin, put the thumb on the left side of your jawbone, and your forefinger on your right jawbone and hold it there comfortably then you can shoot a carbine comfortably.

You grip the carbine stock like you do with your stock attachment to your old Colt. My hands are small enough to put my little finger of my right hand in the ring at the rear of the TG, and the left hand clasps your right with the hook on the TG trapped in the web of skin between your left thumb and forefinger with the four fingers and the thumb clasping the right hand , your left elbow is tucked in front of you, braced against your stomach. Easy firm hold. Recoil is light.

azredhawk44

Steve499:

I returned the balls for some .375's. I'll pick up a small container of crisco (we don't got any) when I am ready to shoot it for the first time.

Tinker:

Not familiar with your history here, hope all is going well for you. Sounds like there is a recent injury. I hope that all heals as it should and that you are out shootin' your new colt even more than I am. Rest up and shoot a lot.

tinker2

Old Dragoon

You have a very good memory my friend.

In my never ending quest for a light rifle, yes I have thought
About a Remington revolving carbine. As a matter of fact
Yesterday I was looking at a Ruger Old Army and thinking
what it would take to make it a Revolving carbine.

When my 51 Navy gets here I will fit my stock to it and shoot
it that way. I think that at this time a longer barrel and the add
steel of a revolver hanging out that far might be to much for me.

I have thought that your Remington carbine would look good with
a 8 inch barrel. The closer the weight of the gun is to my body,
the better it is on me.

I like the grip of the 51 Navy, they just feel nicer, but small hands
I have never been accused of. Not quite bear paws though.

Any ideas are always welcome.

azredhawk44

Thanks, I am getting better every day. At my worst, reading these
Posts kept my spirit up.

My thanks to all of you.

Tinker2

Old Dragoon

Tinker2,
These are a great bunch of guys on here and we all are pulling for you and praying that you will be better and better every day in everyway. The road is long and hard, but remember. We'll be here to help when you need it.

Really I never noticed the extra bbl length when I was shooting the carbine, I think that way I hold it makes all the difference. I want to put a real Remington Carbine sight on the rear though. Kinda like a Henry ladder sight. I think I found one in SHOOT Magazine this issue.

And....if you are feeling down and need an uplift. post this note. Whistlepig, and I'll try to write something to cheer you up. I gotta milion stories from my childhood and even last year..or yesterday that might bring a smile.

tinker2

Old Dragoon

We all like your stories. It is to me, like being around
the camp fire.

My wife says me too. She likes reading your posts.

Thanks
Tinker2

Old Dragoon

Here's a good one from about the time I was eleven years old. My Grndpa had this huge double curve bumbershoot (Umbrella) it was wonderful and had these tines on the ends of the staves. well the kids on our block(the boys) all were trying to make parachutes that we could use to jump out of a neighbors tree. None worked and we all fell on our keisters. We had an back porch with a roof overhang that was about the same distance or more than the tree. and I couldn't get the bumbershoot up the tree. So I climbed up on our roof and proceeded to jump off with that bumbershoot. Well I had figured out that the bumbershoot would turn inside out with my weight. So I tied every one of those tines to my beltloops of my new pants. It even looked like a real parachute too with all those cords from the tines to the belt loops. Roof was maybe 12-13 ft off the ground here I am standing up on the roof with the whole of the neighborhood kids in my back yard watching. I went back up to the peak, turned around and ran to the edge of the roof and jumped off. Well that old bumbershoot turned inside out, ripped the beltloops off my pants and I hit wiith a thud on my keister. My momma came running out of the house and yanked me to my feet and was torn as to whether to kiss me cause I wasn't hurt, or paddle me for tearing my brand new pants. She did both! Hugged and kissed me in front of my Posse, turned the bumbershoot rightside out, ripped off the cords, swatted my behind with the bumbershoot, ran up the steps, wheeled on one foot, pointed the now stowed bumbershoot at me and said. "Don't you ever touch Grandpa's bumbershoot again! and stay off the roof!".
One of the kids said she looked just like a pirate when she spun and pointed that bumbershoot at me. so we all went and played pirates for days.

That was my first and last attempt at jumping off te roof. and I had to wear those patched beltloop pants till they wore out.

mec

I was often told that my grandfather Frederick Bernerd Cumpston was an inventor and had invented an automatic cotton packing machine for his gin. I put his name in google a while back and it turns out my GF was more like Rube Goldberg than Eli Whitney. In 1908 he took out a patent for a hands free -umbrella useful for painters, firemen and other outdoor workers. It was some sort of contraption that allowed the early 20th centenarian to strap on an umbrella more or less like a parachute.

mec

I was often told that my grandfather Frederick Bernerd Cumpston was an inventor and had invented an automatic cotton packing machine for his gin. I put his name in google a while back and it turns out my GF was more like Rube Goldberg than Eli Whitney. In 1908 he took out a patent for a hands free -umbrella useful for painters, firemen and other outdoor workers. It was some sort of contraption that allowed the early 20th centenarian to strap on an umbrella more or less like a parachute.

tinker2

Old Dragoon

Parachute? That what I was doing wrong, I didn’t have a parachute.

I got the 51 Navy to day, that’s fast.

Tinker2