new 16ga

contender4040

I have heard that remington will bring back the 16ga in the 870 wingmaster and express for 2002.
Has anybody else heard anything about this and if it is true, will they have choke tubes? Could not find anything about it on their web site.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
After all the hype and rumors, about all I'm sure of here is that they're bringing out a 16 gauge 870.

I'm also sure they're not using a purpose built receiver. And that's where the trouble may lie.

Big Green had made sure to use the 12 ga frame size before. By doing this, they didn't need another assembly line, thus cutting costs.So, they ended up with a 16 that was as heavy as a 12, but less versatile. Buyers voted with their wallets and the old 16 sailed out into oblivion.

OTOH, if built on the 20 gauge frame, this would be a light and lively upland gun. Slightly better patterns with an oz of shot are typical with the 16 over the 20.

Back in the old days, lots of folks who could afford two shotguns would get a 10 gauge for waterfowl etc, and a 16 for everything else. An equivalent today would be a heavy 12 and a light 16.

Let's hope Remington is fecally cohesive on this, it may be the last chance the 16 will ever have, and that's a shame....

Last edited:

Kingcreek

fecally cohesive?!?! LMAO Dave!
Any reason to think Rem will exhibit this behavior?
A 16g WM on a light 20/16 frame could be a wonderful thing. on a 12g platform pointless.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
"Carries like a 20, shoots like a 12". Indeed, a great idea.

Most 16 gauges run about a half pound lighter than their 12 gauge brethren. This puts a 16 ga 870 at a little over 6 1/2 lbs, a nice weight for the woods. Remember the Rule of 96.

rugerfreak

There's info on the Remington site----just not enough to know if its worth buying.

They do have choke tubes----but no mention if they are using the 12ga or 20ga receiver.

ViLLain

Remington is coming out with a 16 gauge rifle. Just had a pre Shot Show presentation, sponsored by one of my distributors and held the 16 gauge Remington rifle in my hand. Ordered a few for the store. But it was not a pump action. It's an automatic.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Now there's an idea....

I've toyed with the idea of a 16 gauge deer gun for a while, and when Ithaca brought out its new Deerslayer I knew I wasn't alone.

First, since most folks are using sabots, the bore diameter is meaningless. A 16 usually runs a half lb lighter, so it would be easier to tote this all day long.

And, for those who stick with the full bore slugs. I've never seen any difference in effectiveness using the 20 guage, so the 16 will do the job nicely.And,I note that the Rottweil Brenneke is carried by Dick's, the sporting chain.

So, a semi auto 16 gauge with a rifled bore and a decent scope setup would be a nice close range deer rifle. It'd be too much to hope for thatr the twist rate would be suitable for the old style slugs instead of the sabots, but this still looks very good to me.

Doubt I'll get one, I do well with my old stuff, but for someone just getting into hunting....