New 10/22- Will Trigger Improve Over Time?

Wishoot

Hi All,

I recently bought a brand-spankin' new 10/22 for fun with my kids. The rifle has shot a couple hundred rounds of mixed garbage bulk ammo without an issue.

My concern is with the trigger. It's heavy and gritty. Does this improve over time or do I need to modify it in some way? I don't need a match-grade gun, but I want something that's easy to shoot.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff F

No probably not. It might smooth up a bit and get a little less gritty but it will never get any lighter without some help. Nice thing is there are a few good company's that offer trigger parts for the 10-22. I have always used Power Custom Parts. Volquartsen makes good trigger parts also. You can also just do or have done a trigger job with your stock trigger parts.

Fishbed77

The quickest, easiest way to improve the trigger on a 10/22 is to install the Volquartsen target hammer (about $30-$35). It will instantly reduce the trigger pull from the standard 8 lb. to about 3 lb. and remove a lot of the grit.

Pahoo

Fishbed77 + 1

Ruger triggers are never the best and yes, over time it will improve but it's going to take a long time and you would like to see some improvement now. ;)
My dial trigger scale rang is 0-6lbs. and the only one that ever feill within it's range, is a Taret model.

I routinely perform trigger work on these and as Fishbed stated, start out with a replacement target hammer. I really think you will satisfied with this but from there, you can still and more components again, to improve performance.

Not wanting to be negative but have tried Power Customs and Volquartsen and pretty much settled on Volquartsen. I would not be surprised if you wind up in the 2.5lbs. range. Ionce did an older 10/22 and got a 1.8lbs. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

AZAK

New 10/22- Will Trigger Improve Over Time?

Yes it will, the time that it takes to order, receive, and install a new trigger group!

My preference has been Volkquartsen; but, I do also hear good things about Kidd.

Life is way too short to keep the stock 10/22 trigger.

And once you have a good trigger in a 10/22, try a Jewell trigger in a centerfire and then my friend you can "hear the angels singing!" (At least that is what happened to me!)

Fishbed77

also check out kidd inovations!!! they have great triggers!

The Kidd 2-Stage trigger group is the best 10/22 trigger money can buy, bar none. It may be one of the best triggers for ANY firearm. It basically throws out the whole Ruger 10/22 trigger design and replaces it with a new design that is precise, consistent, reliable, and of suberb quality. I want one! :)

That said, at $285 it isn't cheap, and costs more than an entire new 10/22.

For the vast majority of folks a simple switch to the inexpensive Volquartsen hammer will yield a very good trigger with a very consistent pull of about 3 pounds. There will still be a little pretravel and a little creep, but the heavy pull will be gone and the break will be MUCH crisper.

Last edited:

wcar

I've never been happy with the trigger on my 10/22 (gritty is a good description) but never got around to addressing the problem. I think I'll go ahead and order the Volquartsen target hammer.
Thanks, guys!

madcratebuilder

Why don't more people learn to mod the oem trigger? It's not that hard. I have my bench 10/22 down to a 8oz pull that is very safe and no reset issues.

All factory parts that are hand worked, only addition is a set screw in the sear to adjust out the creep.

It takes very little work to get a oem trigger down to a field safe 4.5-5lbs. It may have some creep (it well feel like a two stage), but what the hell, it's free.

DeeDubya

I've got a Volquartsen 10/22 that of course had their "adequate" trigger. But I replaced it with a Jewell for a marked improvement. Unfortunately Jewell no longer makes the 10/22 triggers but you can still find them if you search. The Jewell was a little too precise with close tolorances to use in an automatic 22. The powder residue would cause some binding. Not for me because I keep my guns clean. It's too easy to clean a trigger assembly with the current spray cleaners available now. And, as Brian Jewell says "do not lubricate my triggers with anything but Ronsonal lighter fluid." Oily triggers collect dirt.

Last edited:

Pahoo

If I can do it, then so can you !!!

Why don't more people learn to mod the oem trigger?
Even if you are slightly mechanically inclined, you can perform your own trigger work as well as other minor modifications.

I know a fella who says he owns about two dozen 10/22's and has never tried doing this work. I even showed him on one of his and he still won't try it. .... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

Crunchy Frog

Here's my "trigger tale" for what it's worth. I have a 10/22 that I've owned since the late 70s. A few years back I found www.rimfirecentral.com and learned about CZ rimfire rifles. I bought a 452FS and found the stock trigger to be much better than the Ruger's. No surprise there.

I also learned on Rimfire Central that the 10/22 trigger can be improved. I ended up buying a Volquartsen hammer and (after detail stripping the Ruger for the first time) dropped it in. I don't have a trigger pull gauge to measure the pull weight but the new hammer made an instant and marked improvement in the Ruger's trigger. Much lighter and much less creep. The Ruger's trigger was now better than the CZ's stock trigger.

I could not let that stand so I bought a "Yo Dave" spring and shim kit for the CZ. With that change I'd rate the CZ trigger as excellent and the Ruger's as very good.

I recently purchased a Ruger .22/45 and immediately ordered a Volquartsen tune-up kit to improve it. I'm reasonably happy but not thrilled; for the money the VQ 10/22 hammer is a greater improvement for less money.