Never thought I'd say this about a Tauri

OkieCruffler

But I was looking at a 22lr today, actually was about to lay money on table, when I gave it a closer inspection. What a lousy piece of excrement. The bore was off center from the barrel, and even more concerning, the cylinder would spin when the gun was supposedly locked up. Hammer down, or cocked the cylinder would spin freely with the slightest bit of pressure. The salesman tried to convince me that all wheelguns do that, so I showed him on a Ruger that they most certainly don't.
I still love my 650, and my wife will continue to carry her 650. I'll keep carrying my PT145 and I'll probably pick up a 24/7 or their new 1911, but it kinda hurts my feelings that they would let such an obviously flawed gun out of the factory.

Sir William

That was which Taurus model? I picked up a M94 that was pretty close to your description. I often find Rossi revolvers in that shape. I recently checked out a used S&W M38 that was in sad shape too. The abused S&W I can forgive but, NIB revolvers in a dealers showcase!?! I am glad you didn't believe the salesidiot.

OkieCruffler

It was a 94SS4. I had already decided on a 94 and had handled several of them, but was really looking for a blued one. Wishing it was blued was what got me looking closer at it luckily. I still say Taurus makes a good gun (obviously I feel that way, the wife and I both carry Tauri), but their QC guy must have been on vacation when this one passed by.

22-rimfire

Interesting post. I almost never even pick up a Taurus or Rossi revolver to even look at and would have thought (ie EXPECTED) that a new gun would be flawsless in basic operation. This is the kind of thing that bugs the heck out of me! I have never seen an H&R or Ruger like this though unless the handgun is simply worn out.

joab

I've been hearing a lot of the same thing about Taurus 94s lately
The same kind of complaints that were said about theoir plastic autos awhile back.

Taurus IMHO seems to make a good gun, but they also seem to be a little too loyal to their lemon lines

FirstFreedom

What the freak?

Man that is disconcerting to say the least - and here I was a Tauri fan.... Hmmm, my 94 is fine, but that is ridiculous. Questions.... which store's salesman tried to convice you it was fine? How did you determine the bore was off-center - eyeballing or use of a pencil or similar? And new or used? I'm inferring new... I was thinking of maybe getting another taurus revolver - a tracker in .44 mag - but now I'm gonna definitely put that thought on hold - wow.

bpisler

I've had good and bad luck with
taurus revolvers.The first trip
to the range with a taurus 606,
the cylinder rotates back one
chamber with 158gr 357 mags.I
would fire it D/A,try to fire
it again,click.Wait 30 seconds
and open the cylinder and find
the previously fired case back
under the hammer.No light firing
pin strikes on any other rounds.

OkieCruffler

It was new in box and you could tell the bore was off just by eyeballing it. I'll probably still end up with a 94, going to the gunshow this weekend to look for one, but I'll definately give it a good going over first.

USP45usp

I've had 50/50 with them.

My .44spl is great, no problems.

.357 (model that is hammerless), NO GO! Bad trigger pull (which I could have gotten fixed) but on a NIB gun, the cylinder started to bind on the third cylinder full (so within 18 shots).

Right now, I'm just going to go with Ruger if I decide to get a .357 or Colt/S&W (older gens) if I go with .38.

Wayne

FLA2760

re Taurus .22

Hi
I have had my Taurus model 94 .22 LR for about six months now and I have approximately 600 rounds through it and no problems. I have the stainless steel model. I like it. :cool:

OkieCruffler

I own 3 Tauri and 2 Rossi and have had zero problems with them even tho I abuse the crap out of a couple of them. But if that one was the only one I ever had experience with I would be one of those who bad mouth them all the time. Easy to understand how it starts. Doesn't help any that the salesman put the gun right back on the rack for more people to see and eventually for one poor sucker to buy. Gonna give a close look at the Tracker this weekend too. A little bigger than I wanted, but a nice looking piece regardless.

JR47

It wasn't too long ago that a person on this Board had a similiar experience with a Ruger SP-101. I have personally had a BRAND NEW S&W 625 fail on me upon cocking it at the range for it's first shot. ANY mass-produced product will have the occasional lemon slip out.

What I can't figure out is why so many of us take home weapons with obvious flaws, to begin with. In my case, I had checked the weapon at the dealers thoroughly. The hand broke in two as I cocked it at the range. However, the preponderance of people seem to accept lousy triggers, mis-alignments, poor finishes, loose sights, poor lock-up, and so on. Then, they complain about them.

I check every weapon out as though it were used. I will not accept something that's obviously flawed. Would you drive a new car out of the dealership with a bad paint job? A knocking engine? Not hardly. Weapons are the same. Why spend hard-earned cash on the weapon you want, then accept a substandard example?:confused: