Nevada woman hurt by mountain lion

grymster2007

Probably not a good idea to break up a scuffle between a mountain lion and a dog with you bare hands. But shooting the cat without harming your dog, might be tough too. The woman is lucky she wasn't more seriously injured.

(12-18) 10:19 PST RENO, CA (AP) --
Nevada wildlife officials and a houndsman with dogs were tracking a young mountain lion Thursday that attacked a woman in the foothills of Virginia City southeast of Reno — only the second such attack in the state on record.
The woman suffered minor injuries when she tried to break up a fight between the cat and her dog Wednesday night in her backyard just off of the mountain highway connecting Reno to the historic mining town, Storey County sheriff's officials said.

Full story

jimbo_4

not sure what that lady was thinking.... glad she's ok though. She's lucky, could have easily been a lot worse, especially had it been a mature mt lion. I'd say good reason for people to keep carrying concealed! Could have ended the fight quicker.

scorpion_tyr

The lady may seem crazy, but another reason I don't leave home w/o "protection". I'm glad she's okay. I will be honest, I do really dumb things from time to time and I really love my dogs. If caught without a weapon I would probably end up in the hospital/morgue and newspaper. I know it's dumb, but I really love my dogs. They would do the same fore me, so why wouldn't I?

VaFisher

The lady may seem crazy, but another reason I don't leave home w/o "protection". I'm glad she's okay. I will be honest, I do really dumb things from time to time and I really love my dogs. If caught without a weapon I would probably end up in the hospital/morgue and newspaper. I know it's dumb, but I really love my dogs. They would do the same fore me, so why wouldn't I?

Well put!

Beretta16

ditto :)

grymster2007

I know how people feel about their pets and I might have done the same as her. I guess we'll never know if she had other options, but I think it a good idea to make a quick assessment of any options, before tackling big kitty bare handed. I'm babysitting my 16-17 lb Norwegien Forest grand-cat right now and he beat the hell out of me just this morning. :) I can't imagine tangling with a kitty five or ten times his size. :eek:

Dave P

Good for her. Some of my best friends are dogs (but don't tell them!).

Dog2.jpg

grymster2007

Gotta use the prehensile digit advantage.

Gotta be careful with that. I was talking to the dog once and said "Oh, you'd probably like a biscuit, wouldn't 'ya? They're in the cupboard here... see I can open the cupboard... I have a thumb...." At which point Junior pipes up and says "That about sums up the major differences between you two." :)